Desperately seeking new neighbours

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Desperately seeking new neighbours

If you live in Australia, or if you're moving to Australia to live, you might be interested in living next to us...... for more info on our activities, vist my blog where this post is an entry in its own right.

Mike

Desperately seeking new neighbours

22 10 2009

The 2 acre spare block beside us is up for sale. We’ve taken having this empty space for granted for so long, it’s a bit of a shock to see it on the market. Understandably, we are concerned that some yahoo developer could buy it and stick a McMansion on it, and drive his ride on mower all over it twice a week to keep up the great Australian Lawn myth…..

SO……  whilst we still have some control over who might buy it (the owner has not yet put it in the hands of agents), we are doing his marketing!

Houseview1

Houseview2

Houseview3

The three views above, to the SE at left, due S in the middle and SW at right, give an idea of the landscape as would be seen from what I consider the better house site.

The land slopes gently to the West, but an energy efficient house similar to ours could easily be built there. The soil is quite OK, no great challenge for a Permie soil builder. It’s quite high, only second block from the very top of the hill, and so should prove to have no drainage problems. It’s a blank slate (apart from the magnificent 75 year old Crows Ash evident in the photos) and has tons of potential for another sustainable settlement like ours.

When standing near the bottom and looking up, you can see the following vistas:

lowerviewlowerview2lowerview3

This block also has a great dam site, something our block severely lacks. Even though we are going through adamsiteparticularly dry period right now, we still haven’t run out of water, and with a dam as a bonus, year ’round irrigation would be possible, giving this block great potential as a farmlet project.

The owner would like $250,000, but in the current market I think it could be had for $200,000 (besides I happen to know that’s all he needs to retire to where he wants to move, he told me so!)

The rates should be ~$1000 a year, that’s how much ours are.

The best part of living here is the neighbourhood. The property directly behind this one recently sold to a couple of likeminded people into organics and natural therapies, and the house directly above this block just changed hands weekend before last, and the new owner said to me they bought it to ride out Peak Oil! If that’s not a good sign, I don’t know what is….

Anyone reading this who buys this property would find us very co-operative. Ideally we’d like to have neighbours willing to share skills, produce, labour and friendship…… but living in each other’s pockets would be harder, you’d need to be really friendly maybe? Your decision really….. Cooran being a Transition Town, we would like someone who is not averse to that sort of philosophy. So there you are…… the ball is now in your court. Who will catch it?

ao's picture
ao
Re: Desperately seeking new neighbours

That looks like a nice piece of land (and the neighbors seem nice as well ;-) but the price is astronomical for only 2 acres.  In our area, I could get a beautiful 80 acre piece with some of it in timber that I could sell for profit and renewably use for fuel.  Why so high?

BTW, do you do distant architectural consultations for building an energy efficient home?

JAG's picture
JAG

Looks like the US Fed will be your neighbor after its next global bailout. Bernanke is probably a good neighbor though, but I doubt he could get citizenship because no one would hire him.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Funny Formations Down Under

OK, Mike . . . I can't move down under, but I'm mighty curious about that strange topographic formation in the background of your photos . . . Is it:

A)  An alien launching pad?

B)  An eroded ancient ziggeraut?

C)  A really big aboriginal burial mound?

D)  Abandoned strip mine tailings?

E)  The future site of your water tower, to be used as an energy sink, during those really sunny spells?

F)  [Preemptorily censored]

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
ao wrote:

That looks like a nice piece of land (and the neighbors seem nice as well ;-) but the price is astronomical for only 2 acres.  In our area, I could get a beautiful 80 acre piece with some of it in timber that I could sell for profit and renewably use for fuel.  Why so high?

BTW, do you do distant architectural consultations for building an energy efficient home?

Where the heck do you live!!!  Where on earth can you buy 80 acres with lumber for $200k?  I honestly would like to know as I'm looking for land as we chat!!!

Mike, I would love to move to Australia!  My wife and I have discussed it many times but I'm an avid gun owner and shooter of many different types.  Many just wouldn't be allowed in your country from what I've researched.  And "yes", it's that important.  Born and raised with them they become a part of your life.....

Ready's picture
Ready
LogansRun wrote:

Where the heck do you live!!!  Where on earth can you buy 80 acres with lumber for $200k?  I honestly would like to know as I'm looking for land as we chat!!!

I've said this many times before. Midwest USA. Southern Missouri, Arkansas. 80 wooded acres without improvements will run about $70 - $80K. Add a well, grid connection, and some other structures and you are still only at $120K.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Logan......  in Australia, you don't need guns! Nobody around here owns one, the hunting is pathetic - I do know people who go "out west", and I';'m talking 1000 miles, just to shoot feral pigs and bunny rabbits, all of which are worm ridden and unedicle, killed for the sake of ridding the environment of really destructive pests. You could shoot 'roos for meat, though even here you'd have to be careful of parasires. Australia is not kind to white man's northern habits I'm afraid! None of this will be possible within maybe three years when Australia's oil production will be terminally compromised....

The mountains in the photos are old volcanic plugs (and I mean millions of years old!) They are the reason our soil is somewhat above the Australian average mediocre soil quality, we at least have some minerals here.

Cooran is on the main rail line running up and down Australia's East coast.

I totally agree that the price of land is ridiculous. As I've posted in other threads before, we luckily bought our block for $49,000 in 2002, minutes before the market went ballistic. In no time it was worth $150,000, then $200,000..... but it's not the money worth I was interested in, I wanted somewhere secure and reasonably fertile to settle. Had I known land was about to skyrocket, I would have bought all the other blocks I refused and made a killing! There's nothing like 20/20 hindsight, is there?

This google earth screenshot gives you an idea of the area...... the five white square dots indicate the approximate corners of the land for sale.

Someone else asked if I would do architectural consultancy on this....  you betcha! And if the right person comes along, I'd even consider doing it for free. I said we'd be co-operative. I would also assist in Permaculture design should you kno nothing about how to do this......

Mike

Ready's picture
Ready

Logan,

Here is a quick search, this property is only about 20 miles from mine...

http://www.unitedcountry.com/search06/SearchViewProperty.asp?SID=75773901&Item=723650&Lcnt=&Page=9&Office=24140&No=24140-51940&AU=N&FT=P

United Country has a great web search engine for land, check it out.

R

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Damnthematrix wrote:

Logan......  in Australia, you don't need guns! Nobody around here owns one, the hunting is pathetic - I do know people who go "out west", and I';'m talking 1000 miles, just to shoot feral pigs and bunny rabbits, all of which are worm ridden and unedicle, killed for the sake of ridding the environment of really destructive pests. You could shoot 'roos for meat, though even here you'd have to be careful of parasires. Australia is not kind to white man's northern habits I'm afraid! None of this will be possible within maybe three years when Australia's oil production will be terminally compromised....

The mountains in the photos are old volcanic plugs (and I mean millions of years old!) They are the reason our soil is somewhat above the Australian average mediocre soil quality, we at least have some minerals here.

Cooran is on the main rail line running up and down Australia's East coast.

I totally agree that the price of land is ridiculous. As I've posted in other threads before, we luckily bought our block for $49,000 in 2002, minutes before the market went ballistic. In no time it was worth $150,000, then $200,000..... but it's not the money worth I was interested in, I wanted somewhere secure and reasonably fertile to settle. Had I known land was about to skyrocket, I would have bought all the other blocks I refused and made a killing! There's nothing like 20/20 hindsight, is there?

This google earth screenshot gives you an idea of the area...... the five white square dots indicate the approximate corners of the land for sale.

Someone else asked if I would do architectural consultancy on this....  you betcha! And if the right person comes along, I'd even consider doing it for free. I said we'd be co-operative. I would also assist in Permaculture design should you kno nothing about how to do this......

Mike

Thanks for the explanation, Mike . . . I'm guessing the land in question is at the bottom of your aerial shot?

npwebb's picture
npwebb

Matrix,

I feel the tingle of jealousy running up my spine. Laughing

But unless your community is looking to hire a non-citizen law man at a living wage, I don't think it is going to work out for me.

CB's picture
CB

Cloudfire - the lot is just above the red place marker in the center of the photo - there are 5 white dots that mark the rough outline.  I don't think Mike explained what the "dam site" outlined in white is - perhaps there is the possibility of capturing runoff from the field and ponding it there...

Nice looking place Mike! Too bad I don't have a spare 400k lying about to invest and build - can't even afford to retire here LOL Good luck with the neighbor search!

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Farmland in western Greece, near the towns of Paleros, Vonitsa, and Monastiraki. Also, near beautiful island of Lefkada. The mountains in the background are the Akarnarian Mountains. Average rainfall in the area is 30-34 inches a year.

The coast from Lefkada. Fish galore in this area, including Octopus, Squid, Calamari and Lobster.

The view from Monastiraki to Vonitsa. Vonitsa has 4500 people and the population is growing. Farmland out here is VERY VERY CHEAP $2000-$5000 a acre depending on water access. 20 acres for $50,000 isnt bad at all.  The people have been living here for 1000's of years. Ancient ruins are everywhere. Oh and for the english speaking only group there are plenty of british, german, dutch and swedish people that have moved here for good. The locals are very friendly as well. Most of the food is locally produced here as you can see from the richness of the land. Notice the snow on the peaks in the background.

More farm photos from the local mountains. The city of Preveza in the background with 20,000 people. Local airport as well. Port for shipping to Italy.

Sebetos waterfall. This place gets lots of water!!! Wages arent to bad either. For example, on of my uncles works at a feta cheese factory and makes 50 euro a day. Considering he owns his own house and car thats pretty good. Also, half his meals are for free as he has sheep, chickens and a huge garden. Not bad living at all.

So this is the place ive been talking about moving too when things get out of control here in the US.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Yeah but you'd STILL be in Amerika where TSHTF big time..... and morons running amok armed to the teeth!

Mike

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
bearmarkettrader wrote:

Farmland in western Greece, near the towns of Paleros, Vonitsa, and Monastiraki. Also, near beautiful island of Lefkada. The mountains in the background are the Akarnarian Mountains. Average rainfall in the area is 30-34 inches a year.

The coast from Lefkada. Fish galore in this area, including Octopus, Squid, Calamari and Lobster.

The view from Monastiraki to Vonitsa. Vonitsa has 4500 people and the population is growing. Farmland out here is VERY VERY CHEAP $2000-$5000 a acre depending on water access. 20 acres for $50,000 isnt bad at all.  The people have been living here for 1000's of years. Ancient ruins are everywhere. Oh and for the english speaking only group there are plenty of british, german, dutch and swedish people that have moved here for good. The locals are very friendly as well. Most of the food is locally produced here as you can see from the richness of the land. Notice the snow on the peaks in the background.

More farm photos from the local mountains. The city of Preveza in the background with 20,000 people. Local airport as well. Port for shipping to Italy.

Sebetos waterfall. This place gets lots of water!!! Wages arent to bad either. For example, on of my uncles works at a feta cheese factory and makes 50 euro a day. Considering he owns his own house and car thats pretty good. Also, half his meals are for free as he has sheep, chickens and a huge garden. Not bad living at all.

So this is the place ive been talking about moving too when things get out of control here in the US.

OK, BMT . . . You've got my attention . . . What are the immigration laws like?

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Aussie, i am of the belief that things will progressively get worse, not the "things fall apart abruptly" group. You have to look at things from a rational perspective. Whats the worst things could get in the near term (being 2-3 years).

Absolute WORST CASE SCENARIO: dollar selloff happens and prices go through the roof. Social unrest breaks out, i live in the greater Los Angeles region. People are pissed that they cant afford food and gas and rioting and looting breaks out New Orleans post Katrina style. As soon as the looters come will the national guard be here to quell any unrest. I was here in 92 with the Rodney King riots and the guard shot anyone who even approached in a menacing manner. Airliners will still be moving and in the worst case i know people with private jets. Once the national guard comes in the worst is over as we are in a state of martial law. How long can this last is anyones question. But this is the worst case scenario and it isnt even that bad near term that is.

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Cloudfire:

Immigration policy is pretty lax especially if you have some type of degree. The media slams the greek budget pretty hard but the reality is that houshold debt is around 35% of GDP. Also, there is alot of "under the table" business in greece so real gdp is probably much higher then reported. Crime is LOW. Drug use in my area is non existent. Also, during WWI and WW2 this area escaped the ravages due to it being so unpopulated and unimportant. Ive always found that very odd why so few people live in this area as it could easily sustain 20X the current population. You see millions living in dry and inhospitable dry areas all over the world. Certaintly the huge dispora is a reason as many greeks left for UK, Germany, Australia, Argentina and Canada. Slowly your seeing the trend reverse as more people from the major cities are heading back to the rural areas but this could take awhile as people are still dreaming of fast and rich urban living. Just in the last 15 years this area has seen a 30% drop in population as the youth left for the major cities. Half of the farms are not even being worked currently and are owned by the children of the farmers who know reside in major cities. If you ask me its a steal right now. You could buy a little sailboat for less than $2000 right now and catch your meal of the day LOL.

npwebb's picture
npwebb
bearmarkettrader wrote:

Aussie, i am of the belief that things will progressively get worse, not the "things fall apart abruptly" group. You have to look at things from a rational perspective. Whats the worst things could get in the near term (being 2-3 years).

Absolute WORST CASE SCENARIO: dollar selloff happens and prices go through the roof. Social unrest breaks out, i live in the greater Los Angeles region. People are pissed that they cant afford food and gas and rioting and looting breaks out New Orleans post Katrina style. As soon as the looters come will the national guard be here to quell any unrest. I was here in 92 with the Rodney King riots and the guard shot anyone who even approached in a menacing manner. Airliners will still be moving and in the worst case i know people with private jets. Once the national guard comes in the worst is over as we are in a state of martial law. How long can this last is anyones question. But this is the worst case scenario and it isnt even that bad near term that is.

Howdy LA neighbor!

I am of the opinion that we are in a multi-decade transition that will be punctuated by short periods of crisis in which huge changes will be made followed by longer periods of relative slow and peaceful/orderly movements. 

Btw…I think you are taking literary license with your characterization of the action of the National Guard during the RK riots.  The National Guard was originally deployed to LA with NO AMMUNITION !!! 

There was one incident in Long Beach that I am aware of where the police learned that the word “cover” means one thing to military and another to law enforcement.  From what I’ve been told, the market value of a particular home was instantly and dramatically reduced because an police Incident Commander requested the National Guard provide cover for them. 

If you have knowledge of any other incidents along those lines I’d be interested in hearing the details.

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

I remember being at my uncles restaurant in compton back then. The national guard was on the roof with big M16's shining away. Heres some facts on the 53 that were killed during the chaos.

http://www.laweekly.com/2002-05-02/news/the-l-a-53/

Gunfire killed 35, including eight people shot by law enforcement and two by National Guardsmen. Six died in arson fires. Attackers used sticks or boards to kill two others. Stabbings killed two. Six died in car accidents; two in hit-and-runs. One was strangled.

The violence crossed racial and ethnic lines. The dead included 25 African-Americans, 16 Latinos, eight whites, two Asians, one Algerian, and one Indian or Middle Easterner. Men outnumbered women, 48 to 5.

One of the more troubling statistics: 22 of the cases remain open, unsolved homicides.

I agree 100% with your assessment with the future. Slow decline with periods of crisis.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
bearmarkettrader wrote:

Cloudfire:

Immigration policy is pretty lax especially if you have some type of degree. The media slams the greek budget pretty hard but the reality is that houshold debt is around 35% of GDP. Also, there is alot of "under the table" business in greece so real gdp is probably much higher then reported. Crime is LOW. Drug use in my area is non existent. Also, during WWI and WW2 this area escaped the ravages due to it being so unpopulated and unimportant. Ive always found that very odd why so few people live in this area as it could easily sustain 20X the current population. You see millions living in dry and inhospitable dry areas all over the world. Certaintly the huge dispora is a reason as many greeks left for UK, Germany, Australia, Argentina and Canada. Slowly your seeing the trend reverse as more people from the major cities are heading back to the rural areas but this could take awhile as people are still dreaming of fast and rich urban living. Just in the last 15 years this area has seen a 30% drop in population as the youth left for the major cities. Half of the farms are not even being worked currently and are owned by the children of the farmers who know reside in major cities. If you ask me its a steal right now. You could buy a little sailboat for less than $2000 right now and catch your meal of the day LOL.

You've brought this up before, BMT, and I must say that each time you do, it looks more tempting.  And, don't laugh about buying a little skiff . . . I just might do that . . . What's the political situation like?  I mean, I could read the papers, but, what are you hearing from folks who are in the know, over there? 

npwebb's picture
npwebb
bearmarkettrader wrote:

I remember being at my uncles restaurant in compton back then. The national guard was on the roof with big M16's shining away. Heres some facts on the 53 that were killed during the chaos.

http://www.laweekly.com/2002-05-02/news/the-l-a-53/

Gunfire killed 35, including eight people shot by law enforcement and two by National Guardsmen. Six died in arson fires. Attackers used sticks or boards to kill two others. Stabbings killed two. Six died in car accidents; two in hit-and-runs. One was strangled.

The violence crossed racial and ethnic lines. The dead included 25 African-Americans, 16 Latinos, eight whites, two Asians, one Algerian, and one Indian or Middle Easterner. Men outnumbered women, 48 to 5.

One of the more troubling statistics: 22 of the cases remain open, unsolved homicides.

I agree 100% with your assessment with the future. Slow decline with periods of crisis.

Thanks...It looks like one accidental and one self defense.

nickbert's picture
nickbert

I've only been to Greece once (last year) and for only about a week and a half, but in my limited experience I'd wholeheartedly agree with BMT.  The people were generally very friendly, even to a fair degree in Athens (which was much like a madhouse).  Many of the drivers tend to drive like they only have 10 minutes left to live and are thinking about taking a few people with them, but I consider that an odd and unique part of the charm of the country Laughing.  And though we haven't been to that western part of Greece, if it's anything like the islands and other countryside areas we had seen I think it'd be a great place to settle. 

I would love to have that as a backup option (or if we didn't have the current crisis as a 2nd property for long vacations and eventual retirement), but sadly I don't have money for that.  Plus I don't think there's much call for an aerospace engineer anywhere remotely closeby Tongue out  (still holding out some hope my field has long-term prospects!).

- Nickbert

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Ready wrote:

Logan,

Here is a quick search, this property is only about 20 miles from mine...

http://www.unitedcountry.com/search06/SearchViewProperty.asp?SID=75773901&Item=723650&Lcnt=&Page=9&Office=24140&No=24140-51940&AU=N&FT=P

United Country has a great web search engine for land, check it out.

R

Ready,

that looks like an interesting property. What part of Missouri are you located?

Ken

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Hi, Ken;

Are you strictly looking to buy your own property, or might you be willing to join an intentional community?

ao's picture
ao
LogansRun wrote:

I'll PM you.  I don't want to start a land rush.;-)

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
ao wrote:
LogansRun wrote:

C'mon, AO, we all know you live in Antarctica . . . .

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
ao wrote:
LogansRun wrote:

C'mon, AO, we all know you live in Antarctica . . . .

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
ao wrote:
LogansRun wrote:

C'mon, AO, we all know you live in Antarctica . . . . uh, the wooded part, that is . . .

ao's picture
ao
Cloudfire wrote:
ao wrote:
LogansRun wrote:

C'mon, AO, we all know you live in Antarctica . . . . uh, the wooded part, that is . . .

Yep, just me and the penguins.;-)

Ken C's picture
Ken C
Cloudfire wrote:

Hi, Ken;

Are you strictly looking to buy your own property, or might you be willing to join an intentional community?

Hi Cloud,

I was looking for my own property.

Ken

Ready's picture
Ready
kenc wrote:

Ready,

that looks like an interesting property. What part of Missouri are you located?

Ken

South Central MO, in the Ozark Mtns.

Very small town of farmers, small business owners, ranchers, and Amish. 

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
kenc wrote:
Cloudfire wrote:

Hi, Ken;

Hi Cloud,

I was looking for my own property.

Ken

Ken, I've got to concur with Ready . . . . That's a pretty attractive area, all 'round . . . I've looked at it, myself . . . Danged humid, in the summer, though . . . Relatively mild winters . . . . Good soil, lots of forests and water . . . . Interesting terrain . . . Not as boringly flat as the great plains and much of the midwest . . . Nice folks, too . . . . with the exception of the Walmart headquarters . . . . but then, that's pretty much a guarantee that the folks around you will stay employed . . . . Not a bad thing, if the rest of the country is starving and going crazy . . . .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments