Definitive Thread for Positive Visions of the Future

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
deggleton's picture
deggleton
Definitive Thread for Positive Visions of the Future

This is simply to upgrade a thread that proposed to be definitive and is worthy, but did not have the appropriate title.  Read there if you want the background, but post under this title, please.

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Re: Definitive Thread for Positive Visions of the Future

"[G]enerally speaking, I find that vision comes as people sense human need and respond to their conscience in trying to meet that need.  [T]hey begin to generalize this sense of need and start thinking of ways to institutionalize their efforts so they can be sustained."

- Stephen R. Covey

Jenny's picture
Jenny

I have great hope in the future because I can see what's coming.  The end of the world is not the end of people, it is the destruction of the wicked.  It is my faith and firm belief that we are headed for the greatest era of peace the world has ever known. 

History repeats itself.  Here's the cycle: society prospers, people get prideful and turn away from the moral values that hold society together, society falls apart and there's great destruction, a moral value based people remain to build up society again, they prosper, and the cycle starts again.  

Moral of the Story:  Be good and do what you know is right.  Stop the cycle.

One of my favorite books is The Law by Fredric Bastiat 

The little book is full of  simple yet profound truths.  After reading the book, a lot of things were cleared up for me.  Here's a link for a free download of the book.

http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html#SECTION_G714

If each one of us would stop participating in legal plunder and do what is morally right, there would be no problem in providing for everyone's needs and wants. Here's a quote from the book. (Emphasis Added)

"Self-preservation and self-development are common aspirations among all people. And if everyone enjoyed the unrestricted use of his faculties and the free disposition of the fruits of his labor, social progress would be ceaseless, uninterrupted, and unfailing.

But there is also another tendency that is common among people. When they can, they wish to live and prosper at the expense of others. . . .

Man can live and satisfy his wants only by ceaseless labor; by the ceaseless application of his faculties to natural resources. This process is the origin of property.

But it is also true that a man may live and satisfy his wants by seizing and consuming the products of the labor of others. This process is the origin of plunder.

Now since man is naturally inclined to avoid pain — and since labor is pain in itself — it follows that men will resort to plunder whenever plunder is easier than work. History shows this quite clearly."

http://www.provident-living-today.com/Benefits-of-Capitalism.html

http://www.provident-living-today.com

goes211's picture
goes211
Provident Living Today wrote:

I have great hope in the future because I can see what's coming.  The end of the world is not the end of people, it is the destruction of the wicked.  It is my faith and firm belief that we are headed for the greatest era of peace the world has ever known. 

History repeats itself.  Here's the cycle: society prospers, people get prideful and turn away from the moral values that hold society together, society falls apart and there's great destruction, a moral value based people remain to build up society again, they prosper, and the cycle starts again.  

One of my favorite books is The Law by Fredric Bastiat 

The little book is full of  simple yet profound truths.  After reading the book, a lot of things were cleared up for me.  Here's a link for a free download of the book.

http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html#SECTION_G714

If each one of us would stop participating in legal plunder and do what is morally right, there would be no problem in providing for everyone's needs and wants. Here's a quote from the book. (Emphasis Added)

"Self-preservation and self-development are common aspirations among all people. And if everyone enjoyed the unrestricted use of his faculties and the free disposition of the fruits of his labor, social progress would be ceaseless, uninterrupted, and unfailing.

But there is also another tendency that is common among people. When they can, they wish to live and prosper at the expense of others. . . .

Man can live and satisfy his wants only by ceaseless labor; by the ceaseless application of his faculties to natural resources. This process is the origin of property.

But it is also true that a man may live and satisfy his wants by seizing and consuming the products of the labor of others. This process is the origin of plunder.

Now since man is naturally inclined to avoid pain — and since labor is pain in itself — it follows that men will resort to plunder whenever plunder is easier than work. History shows this quite clearly."

The Law by Fredric Bastiat is one of my absolute favorite books.  To think how well he had things figured out in 1850 and see where we are today makes me sad.

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Provident Living Today wrote:

As I understand you, today history is your truth-telling crystal ball, but if some of us disable it once and for all with a certain transcendant good behavior, humanity will be fine* forevermore.  In the process, some will refuse or be unable to participate, and will suffer mortal consequences.

A Confucian notion that is a favorite of mine seems parallel or aligned:

"There is a chief way for the production of wealth, namely that the producers be many and that the mere consumers be few, that the artisan mass be energetic and the consumers temperate."

I believe it is a generalization from observations of ecosystem structure!

All this alludes to the paradigm shift that is the same as approaching sustainability:  steadily eliminating every kind of human overextension (reachingpushing, holding...) that makes us blind to where we are, who is with us and what is needed, and, thus, ultimately makes us inhuman (wicked).

On first read of your post, I could not feel the connection that subsequent thoughts revealed.

* fine = laboring ceaselessly in pain, liberty and peace

deggleton's picture
deggleton

"I am wealthy when I touch the earth around me, when I know my roots, and when I am grounded in a culture that nourishes me."

Anne Wilson Schaef

deggleton's picture
deggleton

The original thread lives!  http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/what-your-positive-vision-future/17835

Carl Veritas's picture
Carl Veritas

I could not "feel" the connection that subsequent thoughts revealed?      

What type of  "herb"  are you growing in your garden?

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Carl Veritas wrote:

I could not "feel" the connection that subsequent thoughts revealed?      

What type of  "herb"  are you growing in your garden?

Yeah, that came out strange.  I'd had a lot of feelings while reading the referenced post (not often on the page Provident Living is on) that eventually got out of the way.

You never write imperfect sentences?

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2

Degg - I have to agree with Carl....I can't follow you at all. 

Some of us will have a harder time understanding each other because of the walls between us. 

But I am pretty sure that the "wicked" that provident describes, is not the "reaching,pushing,holding", "inhuman" that you think you understand. 

Discernment can be very tricky, which is why I don't understand you.

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Romans12.2 wrote:

I can't follow you at all. 

I hope you'll keep trying!  I'll give you more chances, I'm sure.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments