3045 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
Re: The Definitive Firearms Thread

Dogs,

Nice dig! I got a laugh out of it.

Here's an endorsement for the G19:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/10/06/1000-round-9mm-glock-19-torture-test/

http://www.lesjones.com/2007/01/10/glock-torture-test/

The SEALs use what is legislated to them.
Not sure if you guys know the story, but during an exhibition of the M9, using +P+ ammunition with a pistol that had several tens of thousands of rounds through it... Within the first magazine, the frame cracked, and the slide flew off the pistol and struck the SEAL in the face. They replaced the M9 with the SIG - which is a great pistol - because it fit all the same criteria:
1. Manual Decocker
2. Exposed Hammer
3. Single/Double Action

The Glock was never considered because it had none of the above, being a internal hammer, double action with no external decocker. However, it does see action with many over-seas militaries, including SOF forces

As far as taking the 1911 underwater... interesting story about that...

I ended up in the drink while wearing my 1911 in an Open holster (leg rig) and it still functioned well enough. With the 1911 (lots of exposed steel) you have to be much more mindful of your weapon rusting - but it is still a very reliable and tough pistol.

Ramen-o-kudasai,

I wouldn't worry about it. Take care not to fire round nosed lead bullets or wadcutters through the Hex-Barrel, but for the price of a new barrel, you'd be a quarter of the way to a 1911, which can fire most any ammunition.

Thanks for your story, participation and kind words!
Much appreciated!

Aaron

PS - Dogs;

Pass on the "boat anchor". Don't let that "only offensive handgun" crap fool ya - the MK23 doesn't offer anything that the H&K tactical doesn't. If you want to go SD, tactical is a better choice, and it can even be carried! How about that? ;)

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Aaron Moyer wrote:

PS - Dogs;

Pass on the "boat anchor". Don't let that "only offensive handgun" crap fool ya - the MK23 doesn't offer anything that the H&K tactical doesn't. If you want to go SD, tactical is a better choice, and it can even be carried! How about that? ;)

Yeah, yeah but it felt so nice in my hand - but at $2K I can put the USP Compact Tactical AND the HK45 in the safe and still have enough change for a case of ammo and a Slurpee. 

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Or you could buy yourself about 5 Glocks that will outlast those over-engineered German pistols ;)

Kiddin, of course.

Ramen-o-kudasai,

Also, I forgot to mention about Glocks:
From what I understand, they were engineered around "loose" tolerances between the bolt face and the chamber... in the 9mm, this wasn't much of a problem, as the hammer "closed" the gap when the trigger was pulled, locking the slide to the frame long enough to "fire", and hopefully expel the debris blocking a positive lock in the process.
This allows the pistol to fire when it's slightly out of battery (For sand and dirty environments)

The .40 S&W, which is a much higher compression round creates too much pressure for this feature, which is why the majority of kB's you see with Glocks are the .40 caliber variants. The .45+P is suspect, as is any exposed lead, but the 9mm's are much safer.

It's always a good bet to buy the pistol/rifle chambered in the cartridge it was designed around.

Other examples of this reliability compromising pheonomonon are the Piston kits for the AR's, the AK's chambered in the longer 5.56x45mm cartridge (Headspace and receiver had to be redesigned from the shorter 7.62/5.45x39mm) and the reliability and compatibility issues we found the hard way with the 6.8SPC in the AR platforms.

Cheers!

Aaron

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Aaron, Boys. I gotta tell ya'. I'm giddy tonight.

Just ordered and paid for my Marlin 336C .30-30 lever action. Nice buy. Out of the factory for 429.00

Did I mention that I already have 560 rounds on hand before even taking possession? LOL

You guys know the feeling. Brand new firearm. The wait is killing me. Gonna  bust off 100 rounds as soon as I get it. 

First 20-40 are a monster though. Shoot, clean, shoot, clean. Gotta season the barrell. 

Wooooo-rahhhhhh!

Ready's picture
Ready
MGhandi wrote:

Aaron, Boys. I gotta tell ya'. I'm giddy tonight.

Just ordered and paid for my Marlin 336C .30-30 lever action. Nice buy. Out of the factory for 429.00

Did I mention that I already have 560 rounds on hand before even taking possession? LOL

You guys know the feeling. Brand new firearm. The wait is killing me. Gonna  bust off 100 rounds as soon as I get it. 

First 20-40 are a monster though. Shoot, clean, shoot, clean. Gotta season the barrell. 

Wooooo-rahhhhhh!

Excellent! I have a buddy who has one, they sure are fun!

Might have to change your name from MG to John Wayne!

Best,

Rog

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Gandhi,

If there is no problem with space, pictures are certainly welcome!
A "Range Report" is certainly in order as well.

Congratulations on the buy!

Cheers,

Aaron

.'s picture
rncarl wrote:

By the same token, a 1911 seems large in my hand. They are heavy and hard to control. Why shoot something that you can't control? Yep, that .45ACP round may do a lot of damage, but, if I can only get one round off because I can't control the gun.....

Hi mcarl,

I don't like the size of the 1911 either, just a little to big for my hand, so I went with Colt's Defender.  It only holds seven rounds in the magazine, but what the heck, it ain't no 9mm.  I was at the Albany Gun Show on Saturday and picked up a slightly larger .45, the Colt Commander.  You might consider one of these two models for a .45.  Both are lightweight and easy to handle and definitely pack a punch.

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the response regarding the FN FAL. 

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

For some reason I can't get the pic to post. Will work on it later. 

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Worker Bee,

Glad to help!

The FN FAL is one of my "favorite" rifles. I'm strongly considering building another before all these rampages lead to another ban. It'll be easy to win public support if the public can't show that they have the responsibility and disicipline necessary to own those kinds of weapons.

I'd love to add a FAL Paratrooper model to the armory.

Gandhi,

Do you have photobucket? Even a link would be cool =)

Cheers!

Aaron

Septimus's picture
Septimus

Hi all,

The Ruger MkI and III 22 LR are both great pistols, very comfortable and reliable in my use. I bought mine second hand so do not feel too bad about supporting Ruger in that regard (but thanks for the tip Aaron).

DIAP - What Sig would you recommend in 9 mm and 40 caliber? Thinking on sticking with 9 mm due to fewer types of ammo to worry about but also thinking of a.40.

All -

What are your thoughts on the DPMS 308 ARs?

Thoughts on the Remington 870 in all its permutations?

Thanks.

.'s picture

Hi Septimus,

For what it's worth, the last gun show I was at there was only one vendor with large amounts of ammo.  They had pallets of reloaded ammo in all the popular sizes.  I was there on a Saturday.  By noon ALL of the reload ammo (500 and 1000 rounds) was sold out.  One pallet remained, untouched.  It was the .40.  I guess that says a little about the popularity of that caliber.

Ready's picture
Ready

Ghandi,

You inspired me, so I went and bought my sons each a full auto last night, as I could not be outdone you know.

These things are amazing! 5 rounds in 3 seconds, and shoots missles instead of lead rounds! Even quiet enough to use in urban combat situations without the disorientation due to noise and muzzle flash.

Too bad the dogs like to chew on the bullets!

The mighty Nerf Vulcan in all it's splendor!

Nerf Vulcan

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
R_Eddy wrote:

Ghandi,

You inspired me, so I went and bought my sons each a full auto last night, as I could not be outdone you know.

These things are amazing! 5 rounds in 3 seconds, and shoots missles instead of lead rounds! Even quiet enough to use in urban combat situations without the disorientation due to noise and muzzle flash.

Too bad the dogs like to chew on the bullets!

The mighty Nerf Vulcan in all it's splendor!

Nerf Vulcan

Excellent post!  I had forgotten to mention our Nerf arsenal.  With three boys, ages 7, 9 and 11, we are armed to the teeth with Nerf guns and light sabers! 

Ready's picture
Ready

C Peters,

Maybe we should get together to take the boys out on maneuvers. We haven't really put these saws to the test yet, and I'm a little concerned about overheating and cooking off rounds.

My boys are 8 and 12, and they just never think about important safety factors like this, you know?

I think the light sabres are safe enough tho!

Rog

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
R_Eddy wrote:

C Peters,

Maybe we should get together to take the boys out on maneuvers. We haven't really put these saws to the test yet, and I'm a little concerned about overheating and cooking off rounds.

My boys are 8 and 12, and they just never think about important safety factors like this, you know?

I think the light sabres are safe enough tho!

Rog

Ha!

My boys love it when I gather them up, Nerf guns locked and loaded, and we go on "missions" in the yard.  I'm certain that the neighbors think I'm nuts!  Middle-aged thoracic surgeon, running around like an idiot... who could blame them?

Where are you located?  We are in Iowa. 

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Doc, Rog -

Nerf shooters are a lot of fun, but you need to get an Air Zooka.  http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/60b6/

It shoots a ball of air 20-30 feet (I did not make that up).   It is a literal blast - shooting the cat and watching her leap straight into the air because she can't see what hit her??  I almost broke my ribs I was laughing so hard.

I am so dead if Mrs. Dogs reads this post.................

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Jeez... what's next, taping the cats paws?
...ahem. I'd never do that of course.

In my opinion, there is something valuable about Nerf. We can tie it into mindset, and getting kids used to using fine and gross motor skills in tandem. Never mind the fact that it's fun.

Septimus,

DPMS .308 ARs - It's a niche weapon, and is very popular within a certain circle. The magazines and ammunition is expensive, so I view it as "secondary" to the FN-FAL, which has far less expensive magazines, and typically don't cost as much, but maintain the reliability of the AR10.
The iron sights are superior on the AR10, and it's also slightly easier to work than the FAL.

All in all, it's a good choice, but I think an M4 in 5.56mm or an AK in 7.62x39 would be a better choice, as they're FAR more common - parts, magazines and ammunition will save you big money in the long run.

The Remington 870 is has a hard earned reputation - and you can buy with confidence.
I think most of us have universally recognized the Wingmaster as the "model to beat".

Cheers!

Aaron

Ready's picture
Ready

Dogs, That is AWESOME! I gotta have one!

Can you hear it coming when someone fires it at you? Please say no! You could be very naughty with one of these methinks.

Doc,

I'm in St. Louis. I get to Des Moines every so often on business and have a good friend I visit in Omaha. I'm one of those folks who thinks Iowa is underrated. You have some of the best bucks in the US there, and I love that you have pheasant too. The only way to get pheasant here is to raise them yourself, and it's just not the same.

Best,

Rog

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Rog,

I didn't realize you're in STL!
At present, I'm out West, but I spend a significant amount of my time, and my wife is stationed near STL.

Next time I'm out that way, we'll have to get together and nerf some cats. Maybe get the Doc in on it too!

Cheers!

Aaron

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Rog -

It does make noise, but the airball gets far more of a reaction than the "pop" when you shoot it.

Ready's picture
Ready
Aaron Moyer wrote:

Rog,

At present, I'm out West, but I spend a significant amount of my time, and my wife is stationed near STL.

Next time I'm out that way, we'll have to get together and nerf some cats. Maybe get the Doc in on it too!

Cheers!

Aaron

Yes we do. My wife has 3 cats that run whenever I move (I have NO idea why they are scared of me) but with Dog's little toy, we could, er Ah, my boys could have some fun with those cats!

It would be great to get together, let me know when you are headed this way. Where is your wife stationed, Fort Leonard Wood perhaps? That's really close to my farm if so.

Meow,

Rog

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Roger - Send me an email.

OPSEC and all. I know it sounds foofy, but I'd rather not say online.

It'd be nice to get a chance to meet up with you, and see your outfit - you've definately got a good thing going from what I've gathered from other threads.

Cheers!

Aaron

Ready's picture
Ready

Aaron,

OK, I'm an idiot but I don't see the link to your email in your posts. I'll see if I can turn that on under my profile so you can contact me.

Rog

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Try this:
[email protected]

I won't be able to check it for a few hours, but I'll get it and we can talk more there.

Cheers!

Aaron

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
Aaron Moyer wrote:

Rog,

Cheers!

Aaron

Seriously, you guys are funny! Shooting cats with Air Zookas and Nerfs?  I'm in!

We're in Iowa City, which we think is one of the best places to live in Iowa. Not quite Hawaii or Colorado, other places we have lived, but nice, and close to family.

St. Louis is a very nice city. I grew up in and near Kansas City, which I also enjoy.  Spent a small amount of time at Fort Leonard Wood, too, way back in the day.

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

I should be back in STL area in late September or Early October if you want to try and get together then doc!

We'll keep you in the loop,

Cheers!

Aaron

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Not be too critical but if you dudes think shooting cats with nerfs and air cannon is funny, you've just confirmed stereotypes about gun owners.

What happened to "First, do no harm (primum non nocere), is a good rule in surgery, and in life." Doesn't apply to animals?

www.ASPCA.org

SG

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Kids shoot one another with them all the time.

Trust me - it's not going to hurt a cat. I love my cats, but I still mess with them.

Take the joking around for what it is, this is a sensitivity free zone.

cat233's picture
cat233

Don't worry SG, Dogs isn't shooting any cats or dogs.  He is messing around... He knows if he did, he would have this CAT to deal with.

If anyone wants Dogs' air zooka, let me know, it is in my confiscation pile along with his scotch....  My bartering pile is getting better and better. Smile

Cat 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
capesurvivor wrote:

Not be too critical but if you dudes think shooting cats with nerfs and air cannon is funny, you've just confirmed stereotypes about gun owners.

What happened to "First, do no harm (primum non nocere), is a good rule in surgery, and in life." Doesn't apply to animals?

www.ASPCA.org

SG

Ah, and I wasn't referring to shooting cats, just the kids shooting Nerfs. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments