The Definitive Firearms Thread

3045 posts / 0 new
Last post
ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
Re: The Definitive Firearms Thread

Interesting forward from my father this morning.  What do people think of this?

logo

From the Desk of Joseph Farah

MILLIONAIRE PATRIOT WANTS
YOU ARMED AND TRAINED

Offers His Own Money to Provide You With Springfield
Armory Pistol and 30-State Concealed Weapon Permit

Dear Reader,

The next four years may prove to be a turning point for all freedom loving Americans.

With the new administration holding party majorities in the House and Senate, we are facing the worst political environment for the passage of unchecked gun control legislation and further erosion of our constitutional right to bear arms than we have previously seen in our lifetimes.

As the nation creeps from recession to depression, the potential for civil unrest in every major city grows more likely. There has never been a more crucial time in our nation's history to make sure you are armed and trained for the protection of yourself and your family.

One man in our country knows this better than most, and I'm proud to tell you, he is doing something about it.

His name is Dr. Ignatius Piazza.

He is the Founder and Director of Front Sight Firearms Training Institute and is known by his hundreds of thousands of students as 'The Millionaire Patriot' because he has literally given away millions of dollars in free and discounted training to law abiding citizens to assist them is securing what he refers to as "The Comfort of Skill at Arms."

Dr. Piazza, the Millionaire Patriot, wants YOU armed and trained and he is putting his money where his mouth is.

He is providing you with the opportunity to attend five days of world class training at his Front Sight Firearms Training Institute with everything you need to secure permits to carry a concealed handgun in over 30 states-all for pennies-on-the-dollar!

Plus, if you act quickly before all the guns he set aside are gone, he will give you, free of charge, a Springfield Armory XD Pistol in your choice of 9mm, .40SW, or .45ACP!

That's right. This is legitimate. Thousands of people have already taken advantage of it AND YOU SHOULD TOO!

I can personally vouch for Dr. Piazza and his Front Sight Firearms Training Institute.

I believe now more than ever before that EVERY American should be armed and trained to the highest levels possible-levels that exceed law enforcement and military standards. Take advantage of the Millionaire Patriot's offer. Get armed and trained to prepare for what may be coming in the next four years!

NOW is the time to get armed and trained. Don't wait until it is too late.

Click for more details about the Millionaire Patriot's amazing offer.

Sincerely,

Joseph Farah
Joseph Farah 
Editor and Chief Executive Officer 
WorldNetDaily.com

P.S., You have never seen me make such a personal endorsement, so take heed to the fact that I am telling you to take advantage of Dr. Piazza's offer to get five days of world class training at Front Sight, concealed weapon permits good in 30 states, and a FREE Springfield Armory XD Pistol.

[-827.628806-]

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Doctor Peters,

Watch OUT when it comes to Dr. Piazza.

I've met the man, and his goal is making a profit. He will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat if it's in his interest.
I can personally vouch for Front Sight and Dr. Piazza as well - and I wouldn't.

His training is not bad, per se, but it's laced with tricks to get you to join "too good to be true" deals - which are exactly that. When I bought into it, there were 15 free certificates valued at $1500/ea for free included with the membership, which entitled you to train in 5 or 6 classes as many times as you'd like for the rest of your life. The Membership itself was supposed to be fully transferrable, including to an Heir, and I personally spoke to Dr. Piazza about these issues before buying in.

Your "fully transferrable membership" has morphed into a "free five day class and pistol".
The 15 free certificates turned out to be worth diddly squat, because the market was flooded with them. I ended up trading them for ammo and magazines mostly.

I fell for the first ploy, was treated like a second class citizen at the course, didn't learn anything with regards to firearms handling skills (the lecture however, was very interesting) and ended up finding out all the limitations of my $13,000 membership.

To any and all out there who are considering Front Sight as an option for training - Please don't drink the Kool-Aid.
There is a marketing Goliath at work here, and a genius salesman who is not what he claims to be.

Furthermore, this is a "shooting" school - not a "fighting" school. They're going to teach you how to yell at an attacker to avoid litigation - which is fine - but it is not true skills for hard times. In my mind, Front Sight is tantamount to a strip mall dojo.

I'll refrain from any further comment, as he has a habit of suing for libel anyone who contests his training. I urge you to research that independantly, as last I heard, it was over 120 individuals.

Cheers!

Aaron

Post Script:

The "appraised value" of his offer - $3,400 is based on his value of his courses. The "package" he offers, the XD, Light, Hat, shirt, blah blah blah - is probably attainable for $650. The Utah Permit is another $120 or so. A trip to Suarez Int'l, or Tactical Response is probably going to cost another $400 - and it's training for the "fight".

Also, I trained with Lt. Ray Redmond, who makes a statement on that page. He's a good man, and a fine instructor from what I can tell - but they're not offering any "cutting edge" techniques in this course.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Thanks, Aaron.  I knew about your perspectives on Front Sight and Dr. Piazza from earlier postings, so am not at all surprised by your response.  I wasn't thinking about signing up; just thought the advertisement was interesting.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Doc, Aaron -

I need some backup on the "Who Do You Trust" thread.  Mrs. Dogs is threatening to take away my scotch................

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

No, Cats, no.  Never threaten the scotch!  Send it to me, if need be, but no destruction, please!

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Aaron.

I am an avid shooter. Presently I own a few pistols, a .30-06 for hunting, and a WASR-10 Romanian make for the target range. (Warning folks, the Romanian AK is a nice gun but you have to do some work to it, the machining on it is not as refined as the Russian model so you'll have to file some internal metal burrs down before shooting it). 

Question. I'm going to purchase a Marlin 336 most likely but I am stuck with a few decisions. Perhaps you can help. First, I want it primarily for a brush gun, think-skinned game like deer. Second, I want it as a backup home defense weapon. What are your thoughts on this gun? I'm leaning towards the Msrlin 336C .30-30 blue steel, 20 inch barrel 5+1 lever action. However, I hear the 24" barrel stainless steel XLR has gotten rave reviews. I'm thinking the 20" barrel, being fine for close in game shots of <100 yards would be more compact and "carbine-like" than the high-powered rifle sillohette of the XLR and therefore better for the home should an intruder pop up in the future. What's your thoughs on all of this?

BTW. I love your threads on firearms. You really know what the hell you are talking about. 

Ohh, one more thing. I have the side-by-side clamps for polymer Bulgarian 40 round banana mags, and metal Russian 30 round mags but it makes the gun heavy and bulky as hell. I know it's nice to have 80 rounds handy (can't find 70 round drums) but don't you think the decrease in mobility negates this advantage?

New pending member, IDPA (just mailed the application)

Gandi. 

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Gandhi,

Thanks for the kind words brother - I appreciate them!

The Marlin you're looking at is a "spin off" of the old Winchester 94, and those are common around my family. We've got three kicking around that I know of, and none of them are newer than 40 years old. Two are chambered in .30-'30, and it's a "good enough" cartridge, especially for a brush gun - like you described. It's also probably the most versatile repeating firearm that is not a semi-automatic.
This has a couple advantages - it's not likely to show up on a "ban" list, and it's a hard hitting round with relatively high capacity (when compared to most other "bolt" or "lever" action rifles)

I don't personally like stainless steel anything on my weapons, as it tends to shine. Even animals will notice this, and in addition - it will rust!
Maintain your rifle well, and it should last you decades. I would save the money you'd pay on stainless, and put it into ammo.
Also, go with the 20". The 24" would be "more" accurate, but at the distances you'd notice it, you're not likely to be taking shots, unless you want to hike 300 yards or so to drag meat through the woods.

WIth regards to the .30-'30 cartridge, it's not the flattest shooting round available, but it's definately acceptable in terms of energy distribution. I think an enormous amount of game animals have been taken with this round. Buy with confidence.
However, it is getting less common as all sorts of exotic and ridiculous cartridges are being developed for the "hobbiest" hunter/shooter. I'd make sure you can pick up a few hundred rounds for it.

As for the AK and the MagCinch, I'm not a fan of them. I dabbled with both those and the Redi-Mag in my earlier days, but what it ultimately came down to for me is that you will eventually have to reload from your pouches. I decided it was best to practice that way, so I'd have that skill if the time ever came.

If you do cinch your mags together, don't put one facing up, and one facing down. This is an old social cliche, because you see it in movies, and in Sierra Leone ;)

Truth is, if you have to go prone quickly, you'll pack dirt, sand or mud into your magazine, and your reliability will drop off.
Also, as you say, it throws your mobility off. I'm a big fan of consistency in my training - so when I train with fighting rifles, I would rather have consistent balance and weight characteristics, so I'm not overcompensating and perhaps missing high pressure shots. I've seen a lot of soldiers using these though, and many like the way they work.

Truth is, with the right amount of practice, either method is acceptable.

Magazines are the single greatest influence on a weapons reliability apart from mechanical breakages. If you have the AK - buy them while you can!

PS - those WASR's are now coming "fixed" from the factory... They no longer have the "10 round" restriction built into the magazine well.

Dogs - Sorry for the delay brother! Been busy these last few days!
I hope everything is OK between you and scotch!

...and with Cat too ;)

Cheers!

Aaron

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

If I may add my little bit.

I would suggest loading up on a few cans of Breakfree CLP (Cleaner/Lubricant/Protectant). It's in short supply now because the boys overseas use it for their issued hardware but the stuff is very handy in that it it a 3 in 1 gun maintanance system and a little goes a long way. I do however also use Hoppe's No 9 Copper Bench solvent for added effectiveness in de-coppering barrels. 

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Gandhi,

Great call!
Keep in mind, in a pinch, other things can be used as well - including regular motor oil.
Lithium bearing grease is particularly effective on semi-automatics.

Thanks for "watching out" - no one's mentioned maintanance yet, but it's a critical, and essential part of ownership.

Cheers!

Aaron

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Aaron.

Here's what I keep. 

Gun oil (2 bottles, 2 spray can)

Copper solvent (4 bottles)

6 bags of cleaning patches

Cleaning rods. 

Bore snakes for all of my calibers. 

Breakfree CLP (4 12 oz cans)

Gun cleaning brushes plus spares

Cleaning picks

Blueing agent 

True Oil Gun stock oil. 

Gun mops

Tornado brushes

brass brushes. 

Murphy's Oil Soap Wood Cleaning Wipes.

Remington Oil Wipes for outer metal to remove fingerprints (corrosive) and rust prevention. 

Silicon polishing cloths. 

Also ordering spare springs and barrels for my pistols and AK's. 

Did I forget anything? 

What other spare parts?

Guys. A clean gun is a safe gun, a more reliable gun, and a longer lasting gun. 

I was at the range today and the guy next to me managed to jam, get this, his AK-47! Those damn things don't jam! Well, unless it hasn't been cleaned in eons and is oil dry, which is exactly what his gun was. Gets worse. Had to go with him off the line, field strip it for him (he didn't know how to do it) and opened my arms maintanence toolbox and showed him how to clean it. Even gave him the supplies. 

Got it going, but I wonder how much copper is in that barrel. 

You want this to happen at the worst possible time? And I don't mean the outdoor range. 

.'s picture

Hey Aaron,

Awesome thread!  You really know your stuff!  

I really appreciate reading all the tips you've taken the time to post.  I have two FN FAL .308's and I was wondering if you had any advice on maintenance.

Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your knowledge.   Keep up the good work!

BSV's picture
BSV

Thanks, Aaron. I have printed all this out -- along with your previous posts on this subject. Great information and much apperciated.

Arthur Vibert's picture
Arthur Vibert

I have the Marlin 336C 30-30 with blue steel rather than the stainless. I'm very happy with it. It's solid, dependable and relatively innocuous.

As Aaron observes the traditional 30-30 round is not the flattest shooting round available. Hornady has a 30-30 round called "Leverevolution" which has a small synthetic tip that gives the round a better trajectory while preventing accidental discharge in the magazine. I've been happy with it so far, though it doesn't seem to be quite the "miracle" that Hornady would have you believe. The ammunition is only slightly more expensive than tradtional 30-30 rounds so it's not prohibitive to experiment.

I definitely recommend this rifle.

Arthur

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Thanks Arthur. I also own an Remington Model 700 CDL .30-06 with a Carl Zeis Conquest 3x40 scope. Now THAT has a flat trajectory although it would not be the best of home defense weapons since a break-in is close range. I mean, how often do you snipe armed criminals breaking into your home at 400 or so yards? LOL

The point of the .30-30 is two-fold: First, a reliable firearm in case a gun grab on the "semi-automatic weapon with politically incorrect cosmetic features", AKA, my AK. Second, it's a short range gun, it's first purpose is thin-skin game at less than 100 yards, second purpose it to disuade would-be intruders. 

Yep, already bought 6 boxes of LEVERevolution, plus 10 boxes of Federal Power Shok. Get it now. Plan on 10 more boxes of Hornady in the coming weeks plus 15 boxes of Federal. 

How easy is it to maintain Arthur? How reliable is it, given that it's well maintained? I've asked around but I like multiple opinions. Thanks. 

I take an obsessive-compulsive attitude about guns in two respects: First, I am a safety fanatic and have trained safety OCD into my wiring. Second, my firearms are in TOP NOTCH condition. That .30-06 is 6 years old, has had a 1000 round put through it, but looking through the barrel with a fiber camera (yep, I have one, LOL), the wear is minimal. Why? Right after I shoot, I spend a good hour cleaning the bejesus out of it. And I always marinate the barrel in Hoppe's Copper Solvent overnight and CLP afterwards for at least 3 -4 hours. Then obsessively run slightly oil damp pathes (SLIGHTLY, don't waste oil!) through the barrel until they come out white. Always store with the barrel slightly oiled.

When I field strip a pistol for cleaning, I take it apart right down to the exploded diagram view. And after doing this a while I can disassemble and reassemble it lightning fast too. First clean and scrub every part until no carbon remains. Then I take a magnifying glass and inspect for pitting, corrosion, rust, chips, and fractures. Super thin coat of oil (too much is a very bad thing) added to key parts. 

Tell you what. This may seem Obsessive Compulsive. But, I have high confidence when I slap a mag in that the gun is safe and reliable. That's for sure. 

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Worker Bee, BSV,

Thanks for the kind words!

Insofar as maintaining the FNFAL, the main concerns should be:
-Pitting or fissures on any internal parts (Bolt, extractor, barrel)
-Spring wear (mainly on the extractor with the FAL)
-Cleaning debris from bore and barrel
-Care not to over lubricate

The short-stroke gas piston design that the FNFAL uses is very reliable. However, there are a few problems that come along with it:
1 - Adjustable Gas System; Keep in mind, used correctly, this is not a drawback!

Because these rifles have an adjustable gas system, a lot of people "adjust" when they shouldn't, and have no proper idea on how to correct the problem. This will cause greater pressure behind the cartridge and will sometimes not leave the piston with enough pressure to cycle the bolt - causing a stoppage.

Equal and opposite to that is opening the gas port too far, causing most of the gas to be cycled back to the bolt - this creates excessive wear on the bolt, and lowers velocities of the projectile.
This feature was to compensate for inconsistent ammuntion when the rifle was adopted - but isn't so much of an issue nowadays.

2 - Poorly matched/worn out parts kits;

A big part of the "problems" seen with American FAL kits is that they were assembled from various kits from various nations, rather than "matching kits" (Parts from the same gun - minus the receiver). If you have one of these, you can have them "polished" by a competant gunsmith for about $200. Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics, and ARS in Arizona both do competant jobs with FALs.

3. Barrel Whip;

The 20" BBL (or >) have a known problem of creating excessive harmonics that reduce accuracy. This phoenomonon is called "Barrel Whip" and essentially, the barrel flexes slightly before the projectile has "exited". This is not a problem in the 18" or 16" rifles, and isn't a serious issue unless you're looking for sub-MOA accuracy.

That said, I personally admire the FN-FAL and am proud to have one in my safe. It's a great rifle for "general purpose" - be it scaring off 2 or 4 legged predators, hunting, or fighting.  

Aurthur,

Thanks for the feedback! Great to hear from someone who actually owns the model in question!

Cheers!

Aaron

RNcarl's picture
RNcarl

Aaron and all,

With all due respect, I thought a Glock would be my handgun of choice until I held one and cycled the action....

What about offerings from Ruger. P85 SR9 etc. 9mm semi-auto. Inexpensive and good quality.

How about Mark I,II or III 22LR for learning how to shoot, fight etc.There is even a 22/45 model that has a 1911 type grip. Cheap rounds so as not to break the ammo budget.

I don't like the Walther P22. The grip seems too smallish even in my hand.

By the same token, a 1911 seems large in my hand. They are heavy and hard to control. Why shoot something that you can't control? Yep, that .45ACP round may do a lot of damage, but, if I can only get one round off because I can't control the gun.....

Home defense, a 12ga or even 20ga or even .410 shot gun would work. Short barrels, close range nuttin fancy. I agree with the pump action vs semi-auto. Remington 870 has been around for decades. I'd choose a older Wingmaster version before a new "express" model. The 870 express "feels" the same as my son's 20ga Mossberg 500 in the action, clearing and shell cycling department. I recently picked up a "used" 870 left-handed of course that came with 2 barrels. A "long" mag barrel and a "short" "deer-slug" barrel. The later isn't rifled (for buckshot use) and is my choice for home defense.

I also thought about a .410 pump for home defense. Short barrel, less kick, lighter, yet still as deadly at short range.

Bird shot or buck shot? for that I'd say, "paper or plastic" Short range 12 feet or less, I really don't think it matters does it? What matters is dry wall penetration, no?

I can't stress the psychology of this topic enough. Bad guys don't usually wait for the dramatic TV pause for you to say, "Go ahead punk, make my day." Or some other nonsense.

Thanks to those who have mentioned training. FIghting training is properly labeled. I can shoot. I don't know if I can fight. Will I be thinking about, "gee, will I mess up my walls if I miss?" Or some other nonsense.

FWIW - C.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Mcarl. I own a Ruger P89, have so for 5 years and I love it. Pretty well balanced, easy to clean, accurate. Two buddies just bought a P95. I shot it. Very impressive. $429 with 2 mags. 

You should always buy the best gun you can afford. But this is a nice one and inexpensive too. Not everyone can fork out the dough for a good Glock or a Sig Saur. 

Here's the link for the Ruger

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=3&variation=P95&bct=Yes&type=Pistol

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Aaron's firearms threads rock.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

MGhandi -

Dare to dream.

This one's next on my list.

http://www.hk-usa.com/mark23_general.html

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

RNCarl,

Welcome to the discussion! Glad to have you aboard.

Regarding your question (and this is a really common one), you said:

Quote:

They are heavy and hard to control. Why shoot something that you can't control?

I can not stress how much this is a training issue.
Glocks didn't "fit" my hand either. I was always lukewarm on them because they didn't "feel" right to me. I was always a 1911 guy, so the angle, trigger and operation just felt very foreign to me.

That said, a couple years ago, I switched over to the Glock because of it's commonality, price effectiveness, and extremely robust build. I've got thousands of rounds through the Glock now, and other pistols feel "foreign".

Ergonomics shouldn't be thought of as "what feels good in my hand" - this is an ok thing to consider, but when weighed against durability and reliability, it's a very small issue.

Ergonomics should be approached like this: "Do I have to work with, or against this weapon to get it to do what I want?"

Keep in mind, that's also a matter of training - but the main point is simplicity and durability are more important.

There are other good designs out there, and for the most part, I try and limit the weapons I own to ones that have earned the "battle pedigree". If they've seen the worst conditions offered by humankind, I view it as a good investment.

Unfortunately, Ruger products haven't earned this pedigree. Their Mini-14 was abandon by the Panamanian Marines, and the only other force I can think of that used them was the IRA.
Their pistols are not "bad" - but they have a extreme "Height over bore" like the H&K's, which make accuracy more complex - though not dramatically. The P95 had some serious safety issues at the onset as well - though I believe they've been fixed.

Furthermore, I won't own a Ruger because their company supported the original Assault Weapons Ban.
The Reason? Because they couldnt' produce Magazines for their Pistols and Mini-14 as fast as the other MFGs could create M16 magazines. They were losing money, so they threw us under the bus.

Sadly, H&K has a similar mentality with regards to sales to citizens. They do not offer their military pattern arms in civilian versions (Unmodified - save the fire control group) like FN Hersthal does. They have a widely known reputation for "discouraging" sales to civilians - so I won't buy their products either.

For the same money, I'd rather support a company that supports my rights, and has a record of doing so!

Sorry for the tangent rant - off to work.

Cheers!
Aaron

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

Aaron,

My Grandfather left me his Winchester Model 12 shotgun which I believe is at least 80 years old and what I was wondering is if it is still safe to shoot? I shot about 20 shells with it 30 years ago but none since then, thank you.

Greg

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Greg,

Without seeing it - it's hard to tell.

A few things to look for:
- Cracks or fissures along the bolt and bolt face (the portion that "loads" the shell into the chamber)
- Loose fit between receiver and Barrel (Less a problem with smoothbore firearms, but could cause damage)
- A good solid interface between the trigger group and receiver
- Loose fitting stock (easy fix most of the time - tighten screws)
- Look for cracks, bending or warpage of the Fore-end (pump) and the bars that connect it to the receiver.

My gut feeling is that it'd probably be fine, Greg - those are robust designs that were made during the "glory days" of hearty manufacturing.

Make absolutely sure that you're firing the appropriate shell size (2 3/4 most likely) and don't use any magnums or slugs until you've fired it a few times and had a feel for it's condition.

I'd suggest getting some light bird loads and trying it out.
Please be aware though that my advice doesn't constitute an evaluation of the firearms condition - and I can't be certain that it is opearable.

That said - I think giving advice is probably more dangerous than handling your ole shotgun!
Shotguns are mechanically simple, and don't work off of any pressurized systems, so there is very little that can "go wrong" unless the bore is obstructed, or not properly attached.

Just be safe, and use good judgement. If you have any doubts - take it to a qualified gunsmith and have them look it over.

I hope this helps!
Cheers!

Aaron

Ramen-o-kudasai's picture
Ramen-o-kudasai

Thank you for the thread Aaron, it has been a great read.

I recently picked up a Glock 30, which brings my "collection" up to a hand gun and a .22 rifle. I was going to get a 12 ga Remington 870 HD but my fiance talked me into getting a handgun since my carry permit is processing, and we may be getting a 16 ga pump for free from family. It didn't take much to sell me.

Ammo is extremely scarce at the moment but I was able to find 7 boxes of .45 FMJ Brazer Brass at the local wal-mart to train and have some stockpiled while I search for more that won't break the bank.

Ammo is the biggest problem I see with Glocks in a crash situation. Since they have unsupported barrels you aren't supposed to use reloaded ammo. If the casing gives during a shot it can essentially blow your gun up, not a good thing. You can get 3rd party supported barrels for your Glock that can make it a bit safer, but there have still been instances of mishaps.

This is directed at Aaron, but anyone feel free to answer. Do you think it is worth it to replace the barrel on the glock to make reloads safer to use? Will you just be careful with the reloads or switch to a different gun that is better with reloads? This is assuming that manufactured ammo will be very hard to find in a crash situation.

Edit - Now that I thought about it, you use a Glock 19, and the 9mm doesn't have the kB problem to the extent that the higher calibers do, but any suggestions for me would be great!

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Ramen-o-kudasai wrote:

This is directed at Aaron, but anyone feel free to answer. Do you think it is worth it to replace the barrel on the glock to make reloads safer to use?

I'd go ahead and replace the Glock barrel with a Sig Sauer.  Cool

Sorry Aaron - couldn't resist.

I'm biased toward Sigs.  When I was first looking for a handgun I asked a good friend of mine who is a recce sniper on SEAL Team 10 here in Virginia Beach for some advice.  They use Sigs when they do ship takedowns and swimmer delivery and in both cases the gun is underwater.  Pretty solid endorsement IMO - pick it up, drain it out, blow through it, put a dry mag in it and you're ready to go. 

I'm sure other handguns could stand up in the same environment, but I stopped considering anything else after "This is what the teams use."

Ready's picture
Ready

Ramen,

I have a Glock 30 too. I have the Streamlight TLR-2 laser / flashlight on the rail, and it is my "bedroom gun". Actually, if you asked my wife, she would tell you it is hers.

I have been an avid reloader of handgun, rifle, and shotgun for a long time. It is a hobby for me, there's a certain Zen to it once you get in the rhythm. .45ACP is my primary handgun round, and I have reloaded countless thousands of them.

Anyone doing handloads should be informed enough to know when to discard brass, and I have NEVER had a catastrophic failure of any kind. That said, my primary plinker is a 1911, the G30 probably only has 1000 rounds though it.

When I reload, I never look to increase pressures beyond the middle speed recommended for the recipe / round on my handguns. I find it far more pleasurable to shoot with less recoil and fouling and it saves a small amount on powder. Reaching for those +P velocities is what creates problems like you describe. With a 230 grain bullet that is .45 in diameter, you just simply don't need that much powder to make this round as effective as you need it to be. Additionally, using less powder virtually eliminates the round passing through a target and going on to cause collateral damage. In a home defense scenario, this is important to me.

If I were you, I would sooner spend my money on additional rounds so you will have more brass to cycle though, and therefore less reloads per case. You can get .45ACP at walmart (figure out when they get the shipment at your store, and go buy 2 - 3 100 round boxes per week on that day) or online at places like dirt cheap, cabelas, midwest, graph's reloading, bass pro, etc. You just have to keep looking and every week someone has 1000's of rounds in stock.

If you haven't started reloading yet, that can be expensive up front too, so don't forget to figure that in to the budget.

I think most would tell you (sorry for stealing your answer Aaron) that the Glock is good to go right out of the box, and mods are a nice to do, not a need to do.

Best,

Rog

Ready's picture
Ready
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
Ramen-o-kudasai wrote:

This is directed at Aaron, but anyone feel free to answer. Do you think it is worth it to replace the barrel on the glock to make reloads safer to use?

I'd go ahead and replace the Glock barrel with a Sig Sauer.  Cool

Sorry Aaron - couldn't resist.

And then when you get your Sig, most gunshops will take it on trade for a Kimber 1911.

hehe

Rog

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Rog -

Fair enough.  But would you take a Kimber underwater? 

Check my edit back in post #114.  That's why I went with Sig.  Laughing

Ready's picture
Ready

Greg, 

Aaron made some good points.

If you have access to someone you trust who reloads shotgun (go to your local clay target range if you don't) you can have them load you up with some very light loads, both lead and powder to start with. Once your confidence builds, you can move up to a low recoil version of a dove load, then finally standard loads if everything goes well.

BTW I have an old Win 1200 (not exactly the same) but I had to replace the trigger assy due to complete failure (read little metal pieces everywhere inside) however there was never danger to me and the chamber held strong. Your Milage May Vary, so I recommend that you dress up in the big red suit that Adam wears on Mythbusters prior to shooting, and make sure you send us a picture of you in the red suit!

Rog

Ready's picture
Ready
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

Rog -

Fair enough.  But would you take a Kimber underwater? 

Check my edit back in post #114.  That's why I went with Sig.  Laughing

Well, no, I wouldn't take it underwater, but I would fight my way through quicksand, tar pits, or the occasional flaming car explosion!

Rog

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Rog -

Truth be told, there isn't a Kimber 1911 made that I wouldn't welcome to the armory.

Circling the bait hard on the H&K Mk 23 .45 Auto - Mrs. Dogs said no.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments