The Definitive Audio Podcast / News Thread!

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat
The Definitive Audio Podcast / News Thread!

Hello everyone,

Throughout this period of adjustment and given my admittedly unsustainable commute these days, I have found it very helpful to listen and learn while driving. I enjoy listening to weekly newscasts, audio books, and lectures. I've assembled a list of the items that I scan through regularly. Most of these sites also allow you to access and download from archived material as well as the current week's broadcast. Please feel free to add any other resources for free audio learning!

Also please note, I don't necessarily endorse everything posted on these sites, I have simply found at least some of the material to be relevant and helpful.

Financial Sense Newshour (http://www.financialsense.com/fsn/main.php)

Jim Puplava and John Loeffler post this news show every Saturday morning. It focuses on financial issues but also briefly touches on politics, climate and resources. For the uninitiated, Puplava and Loeffler are Austrian Econ oriented and maintain focus on resources and energy as an area of interest. Puplava manages his own investing firm in California. This is pretty high quality stuff. Not to be missed!

King World News (http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/Broadcast/Broadcast.html)

Eric King does about 3 interviews each week and generally posts them on Saturday morning. There are no commercials and there is no "news" or "commentary" - it is strictly interviews. The interviews focus on politics, economics, and resources, and Eric King seems to have a similar outlook as Puplava.

GoldSeek Radio (http://radio.goldseek.com/)

Chris Waltzek posts a weekly 2 hour show that includes news and interviews. Topics tend to focus on finance and politics. This is slightly more detailed an in depth on finance than the other shows, but the downside is that there is some "filler" material in the 2 hour broadcast that might leave you wanting to fast forward a bit.

Corbett Report (http://www.corbettreport.com/)

Includes an interview and an episode section and posts new items roughly every week or so. This includes some very high quality stuff, but there is also some more controversial, less professional material as well.

Survival Podcast (http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/)

This consists of literally hundreds of shorter episodes. It is all stream of consciousness of one man on his daily commute. As implied by the name, the topics range from everything from finance to firearms to gardening. The man is very opinionated and certainly can't quite be called "professional" in some of the things he says. Still, there are a wealth of topics and ideas to consider. As there are over 300 episodes, it is possible to download the entire collection using a bit torrent site.

Listen Out Loud (http://www.learnoutloud.com/Free-Audio-Video)

I've just discovered this site. It includes a WIDE variety of material on a number of topics. Generally, the audio that is available for free is from lectures that have been given. The amount of material and the breadth of its coverage is truly amazing and it it appears to be an excellent resource that will never run dry.

Mises.org (http://mises.org/media.aspx)

This is the site for the definitive defenders of Austrian Economics - the Ludwig van Mises Institute. The lectures focus on free market (Austrian) economics, libertarianism, and history. There are a number of pdf files of important economics texts available for free and many books are available for purchase. The audio is available for free.

I hope this has been helpful! Please post with more ideas! I will be interested to see what else everyone has found!

Mike

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Re: The Definitive Audio Podcast / News Thread!

The Schiff Report on Youtube - Peter Schiff's vlog, which is updated about 3 times per week. I wasn't able to source a clean link to the podcast list. I think you have to log into YouTube, go to subscriptions, and search for "Schiff Report". Caution: There are actually two "channels" with similar names. Be sure to choose "SchiffReport" rather than "TheSchiffReport". The latter is apparently a disused predecessor.

Some others I follow occasionally (YouTube subscriptions):

JimRogersChannel

MarcFaberChannel

GuerrillaNewsChannel - This one is about 50% good stuff and 50% conspiracy stuff that I don't find credible. Still a good source to scan for new content.

On the Podcast subscription front:

Bill Moyers Journal

TEDTalks - Excellent video subscription for TED presentations.

Excellent thread, Mike. I love podcasts and already subscribe to most of the above, but learned a few new ones I wasn't aware of. Let's keep em coming, gang!

Erik

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Youtube searches are great IMHO. They group like minds or ideas somewhat together where you can disover new things.

bluestone's picture
bluestone

And don't forget the Two Beers with Steve podcasts

Brian

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

Doah! I forgot 2BWS!

Two Beers With Steve (http://twobeerswithsteve.libsyn.com/)

This is a show by CM members, for CM members and is conducted via Skype on a near weekly basis. There is usually a guest, which can range from an author, a politician, or even simply an individual who has made significant changes to their lives. It is conducted as an informal interview with Steve guiding discussion and other callers also having an opportunity to ask the guest questions.

JAG's picture
JAG
The Creature From Gilligans Island

Steve's latest podcast:

A Two Beers With Steve original idea! This episode is an interactive reading of an essay I wrote that outlines just how the Federal Reserve and the private banking system are out to own everything is this great country without having done a damn thing. The title of this podcast is a total rip-off of G Edward Griffins excellent book The Creature From Jekyll Island, I don't think Mr. Griffin would mind it though. Enjoy this episode, however, there is a two drink minimum though....

I just would like to let everyone know this is an open-source project and I would value all ideas and if you are interested in getting your hands on a copy of the essay just email me at[email protected]

I'd love to hear from you...

Be cool, be a fan of Two Beers With Steve on Facebook... every once in a while I post something thought-provoking.

Listen Now

ITunes Link

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: The Creature From Gilligans Island

You know everyone says how much hotter Mary Ann is than Ginger but I'm looking at this pic and thinking Mrs. Howell has them both beat. Wink

JAG's picture
JAG

Creating Wealth with Jason Hartman  : Primarily a real estate investment podcast.

Goldseek Radio: Out of Canada, this podcast features interviews with a lot of popular figures in the finance blogosphere.

Creative ScreenWriting Magazine: Features interviews with the screenwriters of popular movies. This podcast is a good break from the financial stuff. They just featured an interview with the creators of the new documentary The Shock Doctrine, based on the book of the same name:

• Live From Sundance - The Shock Doctrine Q&A : Senior Editor Jeff Goldsmith posts a Q&A live from the 2010 Sundance Film Festival featuring festival founder Robert Redford, author Naomi Klein and co-directors Michael Winterbottom & Mat Whitecross as they discuss The Shock Doctrine.

Frisby's Bulls and Bears: Goldbug podcast out of Europe.

Basic Brewing Podcast:  Basic Beer Brewing How-to Podcast

Bill Moyers Journal

kemosavvy's picture
kemosavvy

jeez, don't forget these awesome podcasts as well

Max Keiser- The Truth about markets --- An absolute must listen podcast. He mixes entertainment with education. It is what 2BwS strives to be when it grows up

McAlvany Weekly Commentary --- I love these guys, whether they have a guest or not they are always informative. They do an excellent job of educating in a way that I can easily grasp the entire picture. Very Chris Martenson-y.

Steve

Doug's picture
Doug

Someone may have posted about this Frontline program before, but I just watched Warned and Brooksley Born is my new heroine.  It's a lesson in how raw power exercised by the bozos currently in charge of our economic system, with the complicity of Congress and an Administration, can stop a regulator in her tracks.  The consequences of that act we are living with today.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/warning/view/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=top5&utm_source=top5

Quote:

"We didn't truly know the dangers of the market, because it was a dark market," says Brooksley Born, the head of an obscure federal regulatory agency -- the Commodity Futures Trading Commission [CFTC] -- who not only warned of the potential for economic meltdown in the late 1990s, but also tried to convince the country's key economic powerbrokers to take actions that could have helped avert the crisis. "They were totally opposed to it," Born says. "That puzzled me. What was it that was in this market that had to be hidden?"

With about 3 1/2 minutes left in the program Ms. Born warns that we will continue to experience these meltdowns until the OTC derivatives market is regulated.

Doug

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Great thread! 

I actually listen to every single podcast that Mike and Erik listed, plus Two Beers With Steve as pointed out by Jeff. 

I don't watch TV. Ever. 

kemosavvy's picture
kemosavvy

I should also mention my buddy over at The Grinning Planet. There is nothing else like it on the web (as far as I know).

Mark listens to what seems like 15-20 podcasts a week and posts the links, as well posting a synopsis of what the show was about

He reviews podcasts of the financial, economic, health, climate, political and agriculture variety. Many of the podcasts listed here in this thread are already being reviewed by Mark.

Favorite his link. You can also email him, he has been a wealth of knowledge for me.

Steve

bluestone's picture
bluestone
Survival Podcast!

Thanks for this thread, Mike

Survival Podcast (http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/)

I have started listening to the Survival Podcast and think it is a great reference.   Most of the sites are focused on economics and personal finance, but the Survival Podcast is focused on the "tactical and practical".  Although many of the threads on CM website are very informative, sifting out relavent info is often time consuming and difficult.  In the Survival Podcast, Jack Spirko picks a topic of the day such as "ammunition and ballistics" or "permaculture" or "saving seeds".  Although Im sure he is not right about everything, he has an extensive knowledge base.   Jack Spirko is full of ideas and is a good motivator.  He leaves you with the feeling, "ok, yeah, I can do this," instead of feeling overwhelmed.  

Brian

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments