The Definiitve Zen Koan Thread

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor
The Definiitve Zen Koan Thread

I start the day pondering (for a good 30 seconds) a brief Eastern thought, poem, koan. Some have become ingrained and the following one now pops into head when it seems like I'm up to my ass in alligators:

Chop wood, carry water

If you have any brief Eastern thoughts that you find enlightening (not there yet) and/or helpful, please post.

SG

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: The Definiitve Zen Koan Thread

One of my mentors brought this koan to my attention a few years ago ("Chop wood.  Carry water.")

But invariably, when I think it in my head it comes out "Chop water.  Carry wood."

Either I'm dyslexic, or in my koan-world it's winter, all the wood is already cut and just needs to be brought in to the woodstove.  And for some reason, I'm doing ice sculpture to pass the time. 

I can live with that.

Viva -- Sager 

Ready's picture
Ready

Sager,

I think you are looking for the definitive humor thread...

Rog

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

cape

this is not really a koan but it is among my favorites it is called the "wisdom of the idiots "

the idiots being the sufis. one of my all time favorite sufis is the mulla nasruddin he is a well known literary figure in the east many claim him as their own but no one is certain if he is even real. being in the sufi tradition the stories can be interpreted on many levels. if you google either nasruddin or hoja you will fond many sites devoted to the stories.

i have several collections my favorite is "the exploits of the incomparable mulla nassrudin" by idris shah

here are a couple 

" mullah your donkey has disappeared! 'thank goodness i wasnt on it at the time.otherwise i would have disappeared too' "

the mullah was walking along the river one day when somone on the otherside called out and asked " hey how do i get to the other side? " the mullah responded " fool you already are on the other side"

have an inscrutable day

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Those are good.

SG

firefly's picture
firefly

Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?

A: Timmy Geithner.

JAG's picture
JAG

Q: Does a dog have buddha nature?

A: MMMMMMMMMMMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! (Mu)

Enough said. 

JAG's picture
JAG

"The Conscience Mind is the only part of existence that stands apart from the whole. It's only function is to allow "existence" to see itself."

Modern Zen Axiom (source unknown)

(No wonder we are so screwed up as humans.) 

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

JAG,

The human mind is............well, you need to keep your human mind. You can't waste your human mind, that would be terrible.

I'm trying to quote George Bush here.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Ready wrote:

Sager,

I think you are looking for the definitive humor thread...

Rog

No, actually I'm quite sincere when I say I mix up the chop/carry water/wood thing.  But if it makes you laugh that's fine with me.  

Viva -- Sager 

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

I've lately been contemplating a tale that is most commonly ascribed to the Cherokee nation:

Quote:

Two wolves battle within us all. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The one you choose to feed the most will eventually grow stronger and defeat its opponent.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Also interesting.

SG

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments