Dear Chris Martenson

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Dear Chris Martenson

Open letter to Chris Martenson:

Thank you so much for putting the crash course together. I am glad that you have enjoyed success as your website is flourishing and you are gaining recognition in the blogosphere. The fact that zerohedge posts your articles from time to time is indicative of our success.

You are a hero, I see you as a Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin type in a society where lies, complacency, and corruption reigns. The time and money you spent putting the CC together is invaluable and you have changed our lives, for the better. I knew most of the facts from the CC but the way you put them together gave me so much closure.

As one of the younger members of the renegade blogosphere movement, it is pretty lonely out there. But your website is a place where i can call home. Slowly but surely more and more are catching on that "something is wrong" with the world and the global economy. Although I do not believe that our views will be mainstream any time soon, our numbers will continue to grow. People searching for the truth will eventually stumble upon the crash course. These people number in the 10,000's at the time. I wish it would be the millions but this is not the case at the moment. People are not ready for the ugly truth that the future could very well be a mini "dark" ages type ordeal.

I am of the belief that the world will undergo a population correction within my lifetime. I believe that humans have overshot the worlds carrying capacity. I base this belief on the FACT that crude oil will not be as cheap or as readily avaliable as it has been in the past century. In addition to peak oil, I see wars and troubles ahead as people and nations try to sustain the unsustainable. No one knows what the future will look like, but I can say with the strongest of confidence that it will be ugly.

Unlike others who fear a darker future, I embrace this reality. I have always been a macabre type growing up. When in middle school we were taught about wars I would ask "how many people died". For some reason i never had a problem asking the ugly and tough questions. At funerals I stand near the body. In Greece, funerals are up close and personal as the casket is lowered into the sand. Those standing nearby throw dirt on the coffin. I am one of those types that throws the dirt. Some of my critics say that im a "weirdo". I counterargue with "i like looking reality in the face". Whether it a new born baby that i like to play with or a dead body lying in the street, I have no problem staring at both up close and personal. Its the same exact thing with the bond markets and the world economy.

I believe that the future that I and my generation will have to navigate through, we are going to have to be some tough tough people. We will have to be on our toes, living with 6 senses, innovative, tough, callous and senitive to the weak around us. One day I want to be like you, a leader type. You are a huge inspiration to me Chris. I thank you for all your hard work and sacrifice. Im still waiting for you to come to Los Angeles so I can meet you up close and personally.

Your friend

BMT

livsez's picture
livsez
Re: Dear Chris Martenson

Nice post Bear!

We need to grab another Margarita soon.

Cheers.

Livsez

ckessel's picture
ckessel

Hello BMT,

Very nice letter to the Doc! 

There was a quote I heard once that I consider to be fairly accurate and it goes something like this..." that which one is willing to confront he cannot be the adverse effect of."   And in the book CM referred to recently called "The Origins of Wealth" by Eric D. Beinhocker there is an interesting passage where the author is quoting Louis Pasteur who said  "chance favors the prepared mind".  He was talking about evolutionary changes that occur with all complex adaptive systems (such as our human race) and how the principals of evolution apply and are a natural process which IMHO you have developed a fairly realistic viewpoint of.  Goodonya!

If you and Livesez are interested in a little vacation to Northern California you have an open invitation to visit us here in Sonora. There is alot of activity at the moment involving adaptive changes by a number of people which cover the spectrum of young like yourself to ancient like me. Actually I can still get around pretty good and shovels don't bother me in the least. My son is about your age I expect.

Coop

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

Dear BMT,

I want to thank you for taking the time to let me know of the impact I've had on your thinking and your life.

I should say that I never set out to be a leader of anything or anyone.  I simply felt compelled to use my gifts of researching and explaining to helkp others see what I saw.

Along the way, I learned that true leadership is a rare commodity and the simple fact that my wife and I (and my kids) are living in such a way that our words and deeds match provides many with a model they can follow, or at least use to compare to their own lives.

In the end, I care most deeply that people make necessary changes now, on their own terms and at their own pace, and so whatever I can do to help cajole, inspire, or rationalize people into action is the most imporant thing. 

I waver at times between feeling pretty good about the progress we've made and the lives we've changed and feeling like whatever dent we've made is imperceptable except under a very powerful microscope.  So thank you for taking the time to let me (us) know how our efforts have been received.

Lastly, take hope - there are more and more young people showing up at my events all the time, and there are quite a few active participants here on the site who are in high school or college (or just out).   One of my wishes is to try and get more young people involved - to my way of thinking they have the most at stake, the most to be aggrieved about, and the most energy to commit.  So how do we do this?

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

Chris,

I think libraries might be the key. If CM members did CC-related courses or seminars at libraries you'd have a multiplier effect.

Safewrite, who also thanks you.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
safewrite wrote:

Chris,

I think libraries might be the key. If CM members did CC-related courses or seminars at libraries you'd have a multiplier effect.

Safewrite, who also thanks you.

After tonight's lecture at SUNY New Paltz, me and my co-conspirators are going to have several different signup sheets available for folks to get on if they'd like to be part of ongoing efforts/dialogue.  For my part I'm ready to offer CC viewings to small groups.  Hopefully, since we're on a university campus, we'll have a nice nugget of young interested people there -- and hopefully they'll sign up for more!

Sager, who'll get to say "thank you" personally in about 4 hours...

Viva!

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

I have good relations with my community college, Rancho Santiago in Orange County. Maybe I can set up a showing. Im thinking of ideas at the moment.

Jim H's picture
Jim H

Great Seminar in New Paltz.. Thank you again Chris and Becca.  You know how the universe often gives you what you need, assuming your intentions are in order?  Well, I didn't know quite what to expect going in to the seminar, only that Chris' uniquely data-driven approach to economic and monetary analysis really appeals to the engineer in me.  What I got though was boot camp for us "early adapters"...  a place to realize that you are not alone in feelings of dread about the economy, and that we CAN get out ahead of the curve and rightsize our own lives in a controlled manner, before it is forced upon us by exogenous forces. 

I met many really cool, thoughtful people at the seminar - I look forward to being a more active participant in the community here, both in NY and online.  To this end, I have posted a picture and am now using my name to post.      

More to the point, my own family is going through some turmoil, and it is symptomatic of this particular point in time.  My wife and I both have high stress, high resp. Corp. jobs... and my wife's job is literally sapping the life out of her... working nearly every waking hour, feeling the burden of responsibility for tasks that don't get done because so many have been laid off before her.  Make no mistake - this is the state of big Corp. America right now... there is no recovery - only squeezing good looking profits out of the cost side, which includes squeezing ever more work out of the remaining (US) workforce.  Corporations are addicted to this, and there will be no hiring of any significance..... the hiring will remain always just around the corner... darn those lagging indicators!  Just to complete this anecdotal input - her Corp. laid of 13 of 16 in a sister dept. just two weeks ago - their function will now be taken over by people in India....  viva la recovery!    

Anyway, we have to begin having our own family talks about what rightsizing means to us, whether we want to forego the two salary lifestyle and the crushing property taxes of Westchester County, NY, and find our way to something more sustainable....  and I thank Chris for showing the way.                  

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

Welcome, Jim. As someone who left a soul-crushing job in NYC and expensive digs on Long Island, welcome ot the forums. I'm now in South Carolina and my husband and I are well on our way to a sustainable future, getting to know our neighbors and making choices with our resources that make sense in the light of Dr. Chris' data. This is a very positive community, with a can-do attitude and lots of great resources.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Welcome, Jim! Despite being on this site for the past couple of years, I have yet to attend a conference, so you're one up on me in that regard.

Good luck in your decision making! One thing (among many) that I have learned through this process is that it is incredibly liberating simply to realize that we can make choices. Reduce work hours? Drop a salary? Move somewhere less expensive?

Understanding that I was not obliged to continue on the same treadmill I was on, but could step off and chose another course, was very exciting for me.

Once that realization dawns, the choices before you are abundant. Again, best of luck!

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Jim Hannah wrote:

Anyway, we have to begin having our own family talks about what rightsizing means to us, whether we want to forego the two salary lifestyle and the crushing property taxes of Westchester County, NY, and find our way to something more sustainable....  and I thank Chris for showing the way.                  

Hey Jim -- 'twas a pleasure to meet you in 'meatspace' and it's great to hear you're going to be more activity here in the online community!  And if you're thinking of rightsizing somewheres in NY state, you now know that us fine folks in the Mid-Hudson valley are On It and intend to push the ball forward.  

Viva!  -- Sager 

Jim H's picture
Jim H

Safewrite, Dr Peters, and Sager... thank you all for the supportive comments.   It feels really good to be onboard here.  After spending so much time in the slime of Yahoo stock boards... this is kind of disorienting.. in a great way!  

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments