Deadly airborne fungus in Oregon set to spread

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
lundsta's picture
lundsta
Deadly airborne fungus in Oregon set to spread

I just wanted to share this article. This should be a must-read for those of us in the Pacific Northwest. I did not post this to cause a panic. My intention was to bring awareness.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36722426/ns/health-infectious_diseases/

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Re: Deadly airborne fungus in Oregon set to spread

One of the best things we can do for our immunity is to buy test strips and monitor our PH. Many beasties that infect us cannot live in a neutral or alkaline environment. Most of us live with too acidic a PH.

land2341's picture
land2341

Ah the corporate news system.  Ever the worthy supporter of the corporatocracy.  

That was yesterday's headline - today its this:  http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/fatal-fungus-sparks-fear-worry/story?id=10438475

Fatal fungus more of a " curiosity to researchers than something the public should be afraid of."   Who to believe,  who to believe???  

Tall's picture
Tall

I agree with lundsta, there is no need to panic, but awareness is key.  

This infection is new to the Pacific NW, but it is rare right now.  

It is prudent to know signs and symptoms as the disease can be treated and early treatment can make the difference in survival:

>>Symptoms of cryptococcal disease include:

• Cough that lasts weeks or months
  • Sharp chest pain
  • Unexplained shortness of breath
  • Severe headache
  • Confusion
  • Fever
  • Night sweats
  • Unintended weight loss

>>Please consult a health care provider if you experience these symptoms.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehsphl/factsheet/cryptococcus.htm

This is not the first new infection to emerge in the US recently: West Nile virus, H1N1 pandemic flu, and extremely drug resistant tuberculosis have all made the headlines during the past decade.

We live in a time of great and rapid change and emerging infections WILL continue to occur. My approach is to educate myself, take known preventive measures if they are available, and enjoy life while I have it.

docmims's picture
docmims

Cryptococcus is a fairly widespread fungus.  If you have not already been exposed,  I would be surprised.  Approximately 8 percent of AIDS patients get this disease, but it is very rare in healthy individuals.  Most AIDS patients do fairly well with antifungal treatment, but IF this is a new more virulent strain, I would expect to see a huge increase in AIDS related deaths in British Columbia since scientists there have found widespread exposure to this disease.

So far I see no evidence of this, but it would be good to keep an eye on the situation.  Luckily it is almost completely spread from the environment (especially grains stored with some moisture content -- all you food storage people) and is not carried and spread from person to person. So we do not have to worry about infected individuals bringing it to a town near you.

Just kidding you food storage folks.  The cryptococcus in you grains is not going to harm you, but is a good reason to wear a respirator when cleaning out the old silo.Smile

imacoinnut's picture
imacoinnut

As a health care worker, I see a good number of illness related to an acidic body especially those consuming large amounts of soda on a regular basis. The key solution as I saw printed within the article is the effect having an alkaline body will have on us. Having been an avid reader of Chris M for nearly 2 years now, I have adjusted my lifestyle and behavior to account for the imminent changes about to happen.

During this time I became very sick and experienced many symptoms included in the 'new' virus. Having to quit my job I hoped for relief from the virus by healthy living. It didn't help, and after 6 months I was not ready to return to work. It was then that I  found the answer, to build up an alkaline environment in my body.

In 1964 a company in Japan discovered a method to change the structure of water and separate the water in a high and low pH output. Then in 2003 the company expanded the research and produced a machine model to be used in the home. Not much bigger than a toaster, the machine quickly produces new structured and separated pH water rapidily and economically. By drinking the water you alkalinize your tissues and organs. This prevents disease, slows aging and rejuvenates the brain. Now healed and feeling 20 years younger, I'm working again and remain healthy, drinking my alkaline water every day. 

The company is Enagic and this is the health solution of the future. To read more : www.drinkakaline.info

www.drinkakaline.net

www.drinkakaline.org

Good Luck and Good Health

Paul

lundsta's picture
lundsta

Question

Why would you have to buy a device to change the PH of the water? Would adding baking soda not produce the same result?

elsur's picture
elsur

From what I understand, adding a bit of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to water also changes the PH to alkaline. 

It tastes good too!

docmims's picture
docmims

Not my area of expertise but vinegar, lemon juice, and Vitamin C are all acids.  So they would acidify the body, but reality is the body won't let you acidify or alkalinize it.  It will try to maintain a pH of 7.4 first by adjusting your repiration and CO2 levels and then by excreting any excess bicarb(or acid) through the kidneys.  If your pH is just 7.2 or for that matter 7.6 -- just .2 off of 7.4 -- you are probably a candidate for admission to the ICU.

So I would say i'm sKeptical of this, although I do recommend "chemotherapeutic 3gm a day doses of vitamin C at the onset of a virus.  This does not acidify the blood since the excess vitamin C acid is excreted in the urine and mucous(which i believe the acidified mucous keeps you from reinfecting yourself by being inhospitable to the virus).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments