Currency Collapse - Best Investing Options?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nichoman's picture
Nichoman
Currency Collapse - Best Investing Options?

Since our Government spending is on a clearly unsustainable path (per Chris and numerous other sources).

Trying to find best investment options/mix to protect assets with proper diversification.

Have Precious Metals and Oil...what other vehicles would be worthwhile?

Are their reverse currency USD ETF's...tried search--no help?. 

Thought I recall some discussion on this earlier but can't find it..   

Thanks,

Nichoman   

FireJack's picture
FireJack
Re: Currency Collapse - Best Investing Options?

I would wonder more if a currency collapse would make investing in anything other than things you can use to survive worthwhile. I don't see things working well enouph to make a safe investment but mabey I'm overreacting.

JL Lord's picture
JL Lord

I'm in SoCalif and heard a radio ad this morning that nearly caused me to drive off the road in laughter.  The announcer was saying something like "Calif is a great place; we're the world's 8th largest economy; we're the world's salad bowl; we make movies, wine, and are the world's technology leader, but we've hit a glitch.  As a Californian, you have an early oppty to invest $ into Calif bonds, before they get released to the rest of the world.  You'll get a deal if you buy 'em
now, before they're released to everyone else...call this number for details." 

I wonder what flavor the kool-aid is....

JL Lord

Nichoman's picture
Nichoman

Eureka. Fourth seach did helped a bit.

Erik T. mentioned several months ago a reverse currency ETF called UDN.

Any thoughts on this ETF?

Also, any other (possibly better and/or more effective) alternatives for an average investor?

Am I on the right/wrong track to keep from losing everything (besides PM/Oil investments)?

Thanks,

Nichoman

Concerned Father of 5

Denny Johnson's picture
Denny Johnson

Nichoman......I'm w you re the PMs and oil, but also have agriculture in the mix. What w population growth, the potential for negative global warming effects on food production, peak oil [ag being petro intensive], shortages from potential chaos, etc. I kinda look at it like buying my future food and energy at today's price.

I'm not interested in a dollar trade other than PM's, which I view as the best currency. I'm not clued in nor confident enuf re how the dollar will move against the rest of the confetti.

I'm interested in other's thoughts.

Firejack......I agree there is cause for concern w any investment these days, even, tho probably to a lesser extent, that which is in ones possession. I'm looking at my investments as temporary, trying to stay alert and mindful of developing conditions which suggest change.

Steve in Ohio's picture
Steve in Ohio

If you believe the USD will collapse but the financial system will survive, then you might want to consider:

• MERKX - Hard Currency Fund (still, lots of exposure to fiat currencies and gold futures)
  • DBA - Agricultural Index
  • DBC - Commodities Index
  • USO - US Oil

Tose are the things I invested in before I realized the true magnitude of the problems we face.

If you believe as I do, that the USD collapse would obliterate the financial system, or that whatever is left of value will be confiscated by our out-of-control government, then you need to invest in stuff. Food, protection, land.

A lot of people focus on their 401ks and IRAs. Thinking that those funds will be there when you "retire" requires a lot of faith in the future of the financial system and the government. If your 401k has a loan feature, I suggest you use it. Get the cash out now in the form of a loan. Use half the money to buy what you need (stuff), keep the other half around to back fill your paycheck (401k loan repayments are deducted from your paycheck).

Best regards,

Steve

scbissler's picture
scbissler

Steve, where exactly in Ohio??  I'm in Cincy area.

Scott 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments