A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash - excellent documentary

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
propamanda's picture
propamanda
A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash - excellent documentary

I just watched a documentary called A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash.  I highly recommend it.  It discusses a lot of the issues that Chris brings up in his Energy portion of the crash course.  It was made in 2006 before the current recession really hit and brings up issues that are very relevant right now.

If you have a Netflix account, you can watch it on your computer using the "Watch Instantly" feature at no additional cost to your account.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/A_Crude_Awakening_The_Oil_Crash/70061528?tr...

I found it very worthwhile.

Here's the description from Netflix:

Produced by award-winning filmmakers Basil Gelpke and Ray McCormack,
this documentary examines the world's dependency on oil and the
impending chaos that's sure to follow when the resource is depleted.
Straight from the headlines, this hot-button topic may represent the
world's most dire crisis. Through expert interviews, the film spells
out in startling detail the challenge we all face and underscores our
desperate need for alternative energy.

Amanda

Woodman's picture
Woodman
Re: A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash - excellent ...

I've been trying to get friends to check this movie out.  I suspected something wasn't quite right for years but couldn't explain it until watching this film one night randomly on Netflix.   I immediately googled "Peak Oil" and was flabbergasted to find this hugely important issue almost completely absent from mainstream media.  This was the spark for me to start making lifestyle changes immediately, and a peak oil website link soon lead me here.

Amanda V's picture
Amanda V

Hi.  I am in New Zealand so won't be able to join netflix (I assume).  How else can I watch/ get hold of  this video ? 

propamanda's picture
propamanda

Hmm... I believe New Zealand uses the PAL video format.  I live in the USA, so I watched it in the NTSC format.

You could look for a place to buy it online.  I'm not sure if you have anything like www.amazon.com in New Zealand or if the video has been released in PAL.  I would look for an online bookstore or video store that delivers to your area.  Just make sure that if you do, check to see that you're buying the PAL version so that it will work in your DVD player.

The documentary also interviews a guy who runs the following website about Peak Oil:

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

I haven't had a chance to really check out the site yet, so I'm not sure how good it is, but I will definitely give it a look as soon as I have a chance.

jerry_lee's picture
jerry_lee

Thanks for the tip on the documentary Amanda!

BTW, Life After The Oil Crash is on CM's Blog Roll and Affiliates list.

barrt's picture
barrt

you can watch it for free on google vids

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?hl=en&q=A%20Crude%20Awakening%3A%20The%20Oil%20Crash&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#hl=en&q=A%20Crude%20Awakening%3A%20The%20Oil%20Crash&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv&dur=3

i found it a bit tame, it wasnt nearly scarey enough to grab the attention of people who are unaware or disinterested which is a shame as its such an important topic

Juvysen's picture
Juvysen

I actually just watched this last night.  Not really any news, but it reminded me how messed up the system is...

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

I also recently saw this flick and highly recomend it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments