Critics Trying to Belittle Peak Oil Believers

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson
Critics Trying to Belittle Peak Oil Believers

I'm at the beach at the moment  and have friends from Connecticut visiting.  They move in a much higher economic level than myself.  A friend of theirs knew I believed in Peak Oil and sought me out to try to belittle my beliefs.  Have many of you had this happen to you?  I let him go on because I assumed he was afraid that his fat lifestyle was in danger.

aggrivated's picture
aggrivated
Re: Critics Trying to Belittle Peak Oil Believers

I've had similar experience. The other day I was in a discussion with two men and the peak oil came up. One was immediately talking about what changes less of and higher priced oil would make.  The other man, with a scared look on his face, said that America can't do without itsdependence on cars and backed away from us.   My point is that some either aggressively, as in your case, or fearfully as in mine, will not accept that there are changes coming that will require adjustments to our Western lifestyles. I don't see it as our place to try and change them, but we should also know our facts and opinions and be comfortable putting them out there for others to hear.

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79

Bring up "Peak Oil" amongst mainstream economists and you get a reply like this:

So alternatives (energy sources or strategies) will not materialize this time...we will have to go back to eating bushes to allow for replanting our forests just to keep warm.
There will be no nanotubes connecting us directly to the sun for our individual transportation needs...that was just shameless marketing, and we are so sorry.
We will have to go back to walking...unless we get some less shameless marketing. (Like this: buy these Energy Alternative shoes and encounter only downhill slopes!)
With a tag like 'xray', I'm wondering how any technological advances in the past are construed. Flash-in-the-pan Resource Depleters?

Hagen's picture
Hagen

Jap that happens to me all the time, so far I have not met one single person that said: "ok, i need some more information but maybe we should talk about that." they actually start making jokes about it. In the beginning it really pissed me off but you have to take it easy. There are just two options anyway. Either are we right, then they will start realizing soon enough that something is happening, or they are right and it won't be that bad. Its a bet I would gladly loose ;) 

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer

Most people I have talked to said they would "get thier gun out" and "get food".

Some people think they can forage wild areas for food - others think they can take it from others by force,  I've only had 1 person ask - what can I do?  out of 100s of people.

Pretty sad.  EGP

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

It is an interesting contradiction that those people we know we may be called on to help when there are food shortages. 

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

It is an interesting contradiction that those people we know who do not believe we may be called on to help when there are food shortages. 

mysjohn's picture
mysjohn

In my experience the peak oil critics, like the global warming critics, have a psychological need to cling to their denial.  My response is usually just to remove myself from the conversation or to allow them to change the subject to something that's more in their comfort zone.  I try to respect their need to deny.  If you want to press forward, though, try telling them that peak oil is no longer a talk-show type issue since the International Energy Agency reported last November that world conventional crude production already peaked, in 2006.  So the issue is no longer "whether or not?" but "how are we going to deal with it?"  What previously may have been theory now is fact, and fact is never subject to debate.  But the walls of denial are incredibly strong, so don't have too much hope of a genuine and lasting breakthrough.

Pops's picture
Pops

More and more there are easily understandable examples of the end of cheap energy:

1. No wonder oil costs so much, that BP well was 50 miles out and 6 miles down in the gulf of Mexico - they sure wouldn't be out there wasting money if there was somewhere easier.
  2. Yeah, our biggest supplier of oil is Canada and they get oil by strip mining and steam cleaning oily dirt, no wonder unleaded is $3.
  3. Think gas costs a lot now, imagine what it will cost when the everyone in India and China has a car. 
  4. Yea, did you hear that big oil field in Mexico is about empty and they don't have any more to replace it? They used to be our number 2 supplier.

Put yourself in your friends shoes and just try to slip in one little random fact at a time, even make it a question or an "I heard the other day..." If you preach they'll turn you off but if you instill just a hint they might follow up, maybe not today but the next time they hear a news story or fill up the Beast. You can lead a horse to water...

Take my word for it you will NOT change someone's belief by pummeling them with peak oil no matter how big your factual arsenal. The more you attempt to convince them the more they'll resist and farther afield they'll go, until they settle on: "Well they've been saying that since 1850 - it's a conspiracy by Big Oil to keep the price up." At that point you've lost them.

By far the best argument is not talking at all but doing, change your life and when someone asks why, tell them you just got tired of wasting money on the [energy] it took.

kaman's picture
kaman

Excellent post 'Pops', and your first one at that.

By far the best argument is not talking at all but doing, change your life and when someone asks why, tell them you just got tired of wasting money on the [energy] it took.

Doesn't get any more simple than that.

fandango's picture
fandango

A couple of weeks ago I was speaking to a high ranking staff member of a large pension fund.  I asked him about the pension board members concerns with peak oil, and he said, "It's never come up..."   ---Scary---

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments