credit card fraud question

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
MarkM's picture
MarkM
credit card fraud question

I am in the middle of a big credit card fraud affecting me today.

My question for now is this, "Can my home (land line) phone be 'call forwarded' from another location?'

Before you answer "No", are you POSITIVE?  It sure seems as though this is part of the scam.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: credit card fraud question

Hi Mark

A little more info about you story would be helpful

rhare's picture
rhare

I'm guessing you are trying to figure out how someone called from your number to someone.  The answer is that caller id info can be forged easily.  In fact it's a service.  You can read about caller id/ANI spoofing here.

MarkM's picture
MarkM
Johnny Oxygen wrote:

Hi Mark

A little more info about you story would be helpful

I am still trying to piece things together.  However, it appears that part of the scam involved forwarding my home phone to another phone (from another location) so that a call from the cc company to verify information could be picked up by someone involved with the scam.

This all started last week with a mysterious unauthorized change in the long distance service on my phone plan. Followed this weekend by obscene phone calls from a number that caller id showed as out of state. Then two separate incidents of me calling home to have the call forwarded to another number and answered by an unknown voice mail.

AT&T was mosy unhelpful with trying to straighten out the plan change. They had third party voice verification of me (not my voice) agreeing to the change.  The service rep wanted to know if maybe the cleaning person at my house had placed the call to change the plan. THEN she tried to sell me uverse and an i phone.  Along those same lines, the rep at Mastercard tried to help me with a 0% cash advance (since I have been such a good customer) while we are in the middle of a conversation involving $27k of fraudulent charges on my card. "Before I transfer you to the fraud department, let me tell you about what we have to offer you."  I really almost went through the phone line.

MarkM's picture
MarkM

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10117

"Already away from home, but want your calls forwarded? You can do it with one phone call. The Remote Access feature of Call Forwarding lets you forward calls when you are away from home."

Be on the alert for ANY "funny" activity regarding your phone service.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Mark

Get a magicjack. Thats what I did. Reception isn't great but its a cheap utilitarian way to go.

http://www.magicjack.com/5/index.asp

LoL. I'm not trying to be another sales person but it worked for me with very little investment.

SteveW's picture
SteveW
MarkM wrote:

This all started last week with a mysterious unauthorized change in the long distance service on my phone plan. Followed this weekend by obscene phone calls from a number that caller id showed as out of state. Then two separate incidents of me calling home to have the call forwarded to another number and answered by an unknown voice mail.

You really have to watch out for anything unusual. Recently my credit card was charged 10 cents that was not recognized. Security could only locate it to an IP number and although the payee resembled a vendor I use they issued a new card and killed the old one. Such small charges can be fishing expeditions.

MarkM wrote:

the rep at Mastercard tried to help me with a 0% cash advance (since I have been such a good customer) while we are in the middle of a conversation involving $27k of fraudulent charges on my card. "Before I transfer you to the fraud department, let me tell you about what we have to offer you."  I really almost went through the phone line.

Amazing the lack of empathy and how so many people are out for themselves. Hope you get all this resolved Mark. It seems that somehow at least your phone number and credit card number were taken. Frankly I'd watch out for more problems and maybe seriously think of a new phone number. Good luck.

Ken C's picture
Ken C
SteveW wrote:

You really have to watch out for anything unusual. Recently my credit card was charged 10 cents that was not recognized. Security could only locate it to an IP number and although the payee resembled a vendor I use they issued a new card and killed the old one. Such small charges can be fishing expeditions.

This same thing happened to my wife with a 59 cent charge. Clearly someone was testing to see if this was a good credit card #. The card was canceled and re-issued. Always check all charges - even the very small ones. People are always trying new scams.

nickbert's picture
nickbert
If both your credit card and

If both your credit card and phone service have been compromised, perhaps it's possible that it was done by someone hacking a computer that you use to access online accounts for those services?  If you think that's possible then it's probably worth sanitizing your computer and changing all your online passwords and any network and router passwords.

Sorry you're going through that, I know it sucks.  I had my old Wells Fargo account completely drained and then some (including the credit card linked to the account via overdraft protection) because some sneaky douchebag put card skimmers at the local Wells Fargo branch ATM (they wouldn't admit it, but it was the only place I used my ATM card).  The aforementioned douchebag had a field day in Vegas and Wells Fargo didn't stop it despite several days of very suspicious activity, but was certainly very quick to rack up a heaping helping of various overdraft fees at every turn.  Long story short I got everything back, but only after a couple weeks and numerous calls (good thing I didn't keep all my money in one place or rent could have been an issue).  Seems like your card company was just as bad... not nearly so attentive at protecting their clients as they are at trying to milk you for more money or charging fees. 

- Nick

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments