Crash Course In Spanish

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
catalinadb's picture
catalinadb
Crash Course In Spanish

I propose to build up a team of a few people, English-Spanish bilingual, to translate the Crash Course into Spanish. That would help promoting its content in Spain and Latin America. I'm a professional magazine editor in Spain and am willing to coordinate the work. If any member is interested to join, please post answer so we can get started.

mred's picture
mred
Re: Crash Course In Spanish

Hi Catalina,

I may be able to help some. If any admin of this website is reading this, could I have calalinadb's e-mail address so I can contact her, and likewise, have my contact information made available to her?

What is your plan for this task? Is the objective to add subtitles to a version of the CC? A version dubbed in Spanish maybe? Are transcripts of the CC available? 

olmedo's picture
olmedo

I want to help too!

Yo tambien quiero participar en lo que pueda. Esto hay que ponerlo en español rapido.

Contactenme en este email. 

olmedo

Futuo's picture
Futuo

As I understand it, several Crash Course translations are underway. I would advise you e-mail someone like Lucas Altic, director of the Martenson Brigade, or simply fill out a contact form to get involved. I've no idea who's in charge, what the timeline's like, if it's being recorded in Spanish or simply with subtitles, if a Spanish version with English subtitles is underway (haha if that would even be desireable...) or anything like that, but I know it's been mentioned before, and got the impression that it has been started. It's great to see all the enthusiasm!

olmedo's picture
olmedo

I jus discovered, that an enterprinsing friend of mine, here in panama, has, already, transtlated  most of the text into spanish!

is there a place  or a email address where he can get in touch to coordinate?

my email is : [email protected]

please, tell me.

olmedo

catalinadb's picture
catalinadb

My idea was to first translate and then find someone to dubb. I think it would be too tedious to read subtitles. It's a good idea to work with transcripts.

catalinadb's picture
catalinadb

Thank you. It was precisely Lucas who suggested to me I post the project on this Forum, after I filled in the contact form!!

I think a dubbed version would be more user friendly.

catalinadb's picture
catalinadb

Great! Let's get in touch then. How did he do the work? Is it a transcription?

I think it would be great to have the Crash Course dubbed.

May I ask your friend to send me some sample of what he has already done. 

¿Tal vez podamos seguir en español? Soy editora  profesional de varias publicaciones; tal vez sería interesante ponernos de acuerdo para ver hasta donde está traducido para repartirnos la carga de trabajo.

Becca Martenson's picture
Becca Martenson

Greetings catalinadb,

I want to thank you for your interest in translating the CC into Spanish.  Currently the CC is being translated into at least 7 languages including Spanish.  If you are interested in participating in this project, please contact Amanda who is coordinating communications with all the translators ([email protected]).

Thank you,

Becca Martenson

catalinadb's picture
catalinadb
catalinadb wrote:

May I ask your friend to send me some sample of what he has already done. Please get in touch with me at

¿Tal vez podamos seguir en español? Soy editora  profesional de varias publicaciones; tal vez sería interesante ponernos de acuerdo para ver hasta donde está traducido para repartirnos la carga de trabajo.

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Hi Becca,

Could I ask a huge favour? Is it possible you could contact me as soon as it is clear that the translation will appear in either dubbed or written form as, I have connections in Spain that would greatly appreciate this development!!

Isn't this fantastic how so much can be achieved so quickly and with the right spirit in mind!!!

My Very Best To You

Paul

catalinadb's picture
catalinadb

I am Catalinadb who posted the topic about the Crash Course in Spanish and suggested we translated in Spanish; I myself live in Spain and am a professional editor;  if there is a team let's work together.

catalinadb's picture
catalinadb
catalinadb wrote:

May I ask your friend to send me some sample of what he has already done.

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman

Paul, we'll be sure to post something on the site as soon as translations are available.  Thanks!

catalinadb's picture
catalinadb

THINGS ARE A BIT SLOW. I'M STILL WAITING FOR AMANDA's ANSWER TO MY MAIL ABOUT THE TRANSLATION PROCEDURE AND TERMS SHEET. I WAS SURPRISED TO FIND OUT IT WAS EXPECTED A TRANSLATION SHOULD BE HOSTED IN A NEW WEBSITE (WHICH I HAVEN'T) RATHER THAN OPENING A SPANISH SECTION ON CHRIS WEB.THIS WOULD, IN MY OPINION, ATTRACT MORE READERS FROM LATIN AMERICA.AND INCREASE VISITS TO CHRIS WEB, EVEN IF IT'S ONLY THE CC THAT IS IN SPANISH AND THE REST IS STILL PUBLISHED IN SPANISH

SO UP TO NOW NOTHING HAS BEEN  DONE

ANYBODY HAS ANY IDEA HOW WE CAN GET THIS STARTED?ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Catalin,

I don't know how off topic this is going to sound but, there must be a spanish jobbing actor who is both feeling the pinch from being out of work and wondering what is going on that would greatly appreciate gaining the information from the present Crash Course videos if he can speak fluent English.

A believeable and resonant Spanish voice would add a certain touch of proffesionalism - Now, who would fit that bill??

Paul

catalinadb's picture
catalinadb

GREAT IDEA THAT OF A JOBLESS SPANISH ACTOR...BUT DON'T SEE WHY HE SHOULD SPEAK ENGLISH ?? SO FIRST WE HAVE TO HAVE THE TEXT TRANSLATED...NO IMPROVISATION REQUESTED...BUT THIS SEEMS TO BE A BIT SLOW....QUITE DISAPPOINTED...REALLY...

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Hi catalinadb,

that was really strange, because I've just opened CM.com and your message came through 3 seconds ago!! My idea of a Spanish actor that had the ability to speak fluent english is that he would recognise the subtle nuances of Chris Martensons videos and be able to effect an equivalent in Spanish.

I'm as frustrated as you that so many people jumped in with enthusiasm when you first began this thread and its all come to nought so far!! This has to be on the ground and hard legwork to get people into the task. I live in Hungary and have no connection with anyone here that would fit your bill. I do have several Spanish people I talk with on a few sites where we converse using Google translator. Maybe its time I pushed them for some advise?

There are acres of journalists that are hungry for a story where you live. Get talking with them about the Crash Course. They are generally connected to politicians, actors, the rich and famous and tread the world through all walks of life.

If none are carrying the torch I feel you have to look within yourself. I think you are going to make this happen, but only if you look for the reasons why you should do this rather than the excuses as to why you shouldn't.

I know, that last paragraph looks like a criticism, but it isn't I assure you. I'm struggling to attain bright young things here in Hungary so as to benefit people with this knowledge. I'm aware now that I've introduced about 5 Hungarians that can read and understand this site in english but haven't as yet joined and added a comment. They are helping others here and thats good that the word is getting out. I'm working with several transition movements here and have had some interesting around the table talks with groups of 20+ people on the subject of the 3 E's, but none as yet coming forward to grasp the nettle.

It always feels to most as though it is someone elses responsibility to make these things happen, don't you agree?

Talk with me. Between ourselves we might be able to push ideas and get things happening...

Best,

Paul

(edit)...you speak spanish, yes? Paste Chris Martensons transcript from each of the videos and convert the language into Spanish using the Google Translator, then start the hard work of getting the grama and meter to work fluently. There are a number of sites you can also Google that proffesionally translate for a fee that could help clean up what you've created if you aren't fully confident with your finished result. If you take on the task of this, I am sure that Chris Martenson will re-emburse you with the cost.

Begining by using a transcripted set of videos is surely better than having nothing at all. Also, the translation could well be the key for someone to voice over the videos if it already exists...

Over to you...

catalinadb's picture
catalinadb

Hi Paul

it's great to see you are keeping this alive, and following the thread. No, I'm not looking for excuses not to do something I actually wanted to start! As it is, there is another guy, at the other end of the ocean (I live in Spain), in Venezuela, with whom I'm going to start this very week end to translate the text of the course (if we finally get Amanda send the d...text, as she promised----that's to you Amanda!).

For God's sake, I would never rely on a google translator. Yes I do speak and write Spanish (and French, and German too) and am a professional editor.

I'm afraid you have a very idealistic picture of journalism in Spain. There are acres, yes, thousands of journalists on the unemployment lists; but most of the media are not interested in publishing stories like CM's. That wouldn't be politically correct, would it? But you have a point there. I'll spread the CC among these young guys I know (most did some internship with me at my work, and until I read your message, honestly, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!)

I've just been this afternoon at a meeting launched by a left wing party over here to discuss the economic crisis. I live in a suburb town of 80.000. We were 25 at the meeting!

Catalina

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Catalina,

I really get your meaning about being idealistic with my picture of Spanish journalism, I was just offering you the gift of de-mystifying the whole task of finding the right people to gain a perspective of the job at hand. The UK is awash with people scrabbling for news stories and, I agree with you that the issues surrounding the 3E's are a torturous mainstream hot potato, yet, Chris has proven that with perserverance and determination, something as crucial and imaginative as CM.com can grow exponentially when enthusiastic people are thrown into the mix. Just look at the size and scope of this site in just the last 3 months!!

Planting roses is the key to making a success of this translation. On the subject of people helping you along with this task - some will, some won't, so what, next!!

Looking at the percentages with the difference between an 80,000 population and the 25 people in your meeting; you've a great deal of work ahead. Think of the task as your future ability to still sit outside a restaurant sipping an ice cold drink of your choice. Without your work ahead, the future looks bleak, and you could very well be the one that makes the future possible for your hometown. I'm thinking Cuba permaculture and the Argentine financial crash all rolled into one and, if that doesn't fire you up, I can't think what will.

Best of luck to you, and a productive weekend - IF ONLY AMANDA WOULD TAKE NOTICE OF THIS THREAD!!!Tongue out

Don't feel that my input to you and this thread finish here. Keep an eye out for me, I may well have some other ideas that come fresh out of the box.

From an acorn grows...

Take Care,

Paul

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments