Crash Course Presenter Materials

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
lucasaltic's picture
lucasaltic
Crash Course Presenter Materials

All,

This is primarily in response to kemosavvy's thread (link) regarding Crash Course related presentations.  There were some good suggestions brought forward there about how to go about presenting the material in a more innocuous, non-alarmist manner.  There was also a suggestion that Chris make some standardized materials for people who would like to present these topics.  Unfortunately, Chris' primary focus is on interviews, talk-radio, and Crash Course ver. 2.0 so has little time to contribute to such an endeavour.

With that in mind, I would like to announce that I am assembling a team of people to work on building a presentation package for Crash Course related material.  The deliverable would be a package that users could download and utilize as presentation aids in public venues.

My initial thinking is that people like kemosavvy, Chris Kesser, npeykani, & Linda K, would be interested in combining efforts & material as an officially endorsed project by PeakProsperity.com.

One thing I see speeding this along is if anyone has already generated presentation material and is willing to contribute it to the body of work.

I will need to assemble the team and appoint a team leader for the project.

My contact is [email protected]  You can also contact Futuo or Erik who will forward the information to me.

I urge anyone who thinks they have something to contribute to step forward.

As Futuo points out, there has already been some discussion regarding this on the Martenson Brigade Forums.  With the Crash Course taking off like it is, I think it is prime time to produce a presentation package that potential presenters can easily use to communicate our message.

Thanks everyone for listening!

Sincerely,

Lucas Altic

Director of Volunteer Operations

PeakProsperity.com

dps's picture
dps
Re: Crash Course Presenter Materials

My approach (currently used 2 times with city-level public officials) has been to ask for 15 minutes of their time to discuss how our future will be very different from our past.  This has worked both times.

I use that 15 minutes to watch the crash course chapters 1-5 with them.  They are hooked (2 out of 2 times).

I'm planning to seek assistance from them to provide audio-visual equipment in a public venue (our grange / city council chambers, whatever) in which I plan to again present chapters 1-5 to a larger audience.  I'm also planning to sell the DVDs for retail price at that venue.  I'll be advertising and hosting future public "discussions" to center around how we can collectively approach the city's future.  This has built in the assumption that they have chosen to watch the entire crash course either on the web site for free or on DVD for purchase.

I have not yet written the flyers for the public showing.  I have not yet gotten venue committment.

That's the current state of things and the plans.  Hope it helps others.

BTW, my 100 DVDs have still not arrived.  I'm in discussions with the shipper.  ... Don

switters's picture
switters

Thanks for organizing this, Lucas.  I'm away for the holidays and have limited internet access.  I'll respond in more detail when I return home in a few days.

Futuo's picture
Futuo

I couldn't agree more. I made a post about this in the Brigade forums, which i'll repost here for the benefit of you who haven't joined:

"Great news (with reference to DPS and his work)! I think it would be good to compile and formulate effective
strategies for crash course promotion. I would love to have a list of
"actions" or "strategies" individuals can take to spread the word, with an explanation
as to what each entails, and then the name of a community/brigade member
who has carried out that particular promotion strategy to contact for advice. I'm
really interested in documenting all these processes, so that if
someone comes along and wants to promote the crash course to their
community officials, we can show them what's been done by people like
you, Don." (Edited for clarity).

I've been combing through the forums saving any and all actions taken by individuals sloppily in a Word Document. My first goal is to have a stickied thread that just lists different possible actions to take, ranging from simple to more dificult (show CC to family -> donate to library -> promote at local grocery -> meet with government officials), with a "contact person" from the community/brigade who has taken that approach, and a step-by-step of what he or she did. 

Obviously, even if that were done, there's still much more that can be done to help our people "in the field", especially in terms of specific flyers, accompanying handouts, etc...

Hopefully the four people mentioned in Luc's post and many more join to get this Action/Presentation Team going. It's a really cool idea :)

Linda K's picture
Linda K

Hi Lucas

I'm a graphic artist by profession so that's where my talents would serve you best. If given copy I could turn it into a downloadable form - flyer, handout, brochure etc. Can't guarantee my availability (still need to eek out that paultry living) but would love to talk more. I enjoy working as part of a team and have seen some other artistic talent on this site - so the more the merrier, no? There's a great DVD cover from Tom Loftus over in "Permaculture".

Immediate, off the top of my head suggestions - the more visual material the better. Engage a good editor, I'm not bad but I know good when I read it. Don't skimp on time spent proofing - do it at least twice. Correcting anything takes more time than doing it right the first time - bla bla bla - so decide exactly what you want to say and how you're saying it bofore turning it over to the designer. Allow enough time to turn out a quality product. Respect different opperating systems (all God's chillin's do not have Word).

Linda

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

Lucas - thanks for getting this going. 

I have a request to make of everybody.

As it turns out, I have had a recent offer which throws this effort into a higher gear...a local PBS station is going to shoot three short segments of me giving portions of the Crash Course to a live audience and then use that material during their Feb Fund drive.  

I have a more complete posting on this matter coming along shortly in a separate thread topic where I will be soliciting additional feedback on the Crash Course itself.

The bottom line is that over the next 4 weeks I will be producing both a v2.0 of the DVD and a study guide/presenter's pack to go along with it.  It would be best to have most of the ideas on the table within the next two weeks (by Jan 12th).

I plan to contract for the development of a professionally laid out and produced study-guide which will be packaged with the new DVD set and also made available separately. 

Here's where I need everybody's help. These are my first thoughts about the organization of the materials:

Study Guide Elements

1. A quick intro, one page long, max. describing the course, what it is, why this booklet was created and how to use it
  2. Tips on holding an effective house party
    1. Picking times
    2. The importance of leaving integration time between the sections.
    3. Numbers of people - what's the right amount?  How to manage larger and smaller groups.
    4. Framing and focusing attention
  3. FAQs for each chapter
    1. The most frequent questions asked for each chapter and how to respond to them
    2. Further study materials arranged by chapter and/or section
    3. References for all key data
    4. Book suggestions for key sections or topics
    5. Key articles supporting or expanding the Course.
    6. Links to downloadable forms for Ch 20 work
  4. Action steps to take for spreading the word
    1. Our strategy and vision for spreading the word
    2. Efforts to be found at CM.com (Brigade, etc)
    3. Locally effective strategies
    4. Nationally effective strategies

Futuo - I am thrilled that you've been assembling some of the suggested improvements from the forums.  Please send what you've got along to me and then let's also post the parts wherever appropriate.

Thank you in advance everyone! This is a very exciting time.

Chris

switters's picture
switters

Hi Chris,

Great news on the PBS project!  

The study guide outline you've put together looks great to me.  I would definitely emphasize the importance of integration time between sections of the Crash Course, as you've already suggested.  I think getting a group to commit to four weekly showings over a month would be ideal.  But of course that won't always be practical or possible.

One question I've been mulling over for a while is how to condense the CC material into a 90-minute presentation that covers all of the necessary material without completely overwhelming people.  I've been giving presentations in various fields (corporate, entertainment, medical) for more than ten years now, and one thing I've learned is that less is definitely more.  Research shows that most people are only able to take in about 3-5 "chunks" of data/information/ideas during a live presentation (my experience suggests that number is closer to three than five).  Beyond that and they simply shut down and don't remember anything more.

This also highlights the importance of the common presentation advice "first tell them what you're going to tell them, then tell them, then tell them what you've told them."  Repetition of those three chunks at the beginning and end of the presentation is key to delivering a potent message.

I realize this isn't completely addressing the question you asked about the study guide, but I feel it's an important point for anyone who is considering presenting this material.

So what are those 3-5 "chunks" in the case of the Crash Course?  Perhaps Chris can come up with them or we can work together to extract them.  

Chris mentioned these three in the blog post yesterday:

• The next twenty years will present massive changes, challenges, and opportunities to our entire planet
  • Community is the essential key to each of our individual future well-being
  • Non-status-quo solutions and approaches are needed, starting now.

This was in the context of building a strong community here on the site, but they may also be applicable to the CC in general.

Perhaps more directly addressing the content of the CC would be something like:

• Our modern economy and financial system must continue to grow in order to survive.
  • Continuous growth is impossible on a finite planet with finite resources.
  • We are reaching (or have already reached) the limits of several key resources necessary for growth.
  • Therefore, a global economic, environmental and energy crisis is imminent.
  • Non-statu-quo solutions and approaches are needed, starting now.

It's definitely hard to summarize something as broad and deep as the Crash Course in three to five bullet points without leaving out vital information. 

Chris, I imagine you may have already done this? 

Linda K's picture
Linda K

The study guide sounds a perfect addition for a live presentation.

Chirs - buy as many pairs of currently cheap running shoes as your trunk will hold. The CC and you with it are off at an astoundingly fast pace. Kudos on the PBS spots.

A couple points of agreement with Chris K.

* "Less" will stick "more" especially if much of this information is new. People not only need to get it at the time, they need to retain it and be able to apply it. Or explain it to someone else. Makes sense to divide the material along the lines of the three "E"s. I
first got interested in the Crash Course because I wanted more
information on money and the Federal Reserve. Just that small part was
challenging.

* So true and made me laugh out loud - "first tell them what you're going to tell them, then tell them, then tell them what you've told them." A personal approach - I adjusted the title from chapter 5 "Growth vs. Prosperity" to "Growth and Prosperity" when announcing it on the program. Defining the terms first (especially for those where English wasn't a first language) then getting into how they're applied in the Crash Course was an important part of the "tell them what you're going to tell them" stage. If you can get people to see that growth and prosperity is what we've been unconsciously enjoying in our recient past you can bring them to the next and more present "choice" stage of one path vs. another.

Several people have mentioned how much they got out of the Six Stages of Awareness. It gives people permission as well as a place to begin, no matter how much they already knew about the issues discussed in the course. If it's not defeating the purpose of having special material for subscribers only, it might make a good inclusion somewhere in the guide.

switters's picture
switters
Linda K wrote:

Several people have mentioned how much they got out of the Six Stages of Awareness. It gives people permission as well as a place to begin, no matter how much they already knew about the issues discussed in the course. If it's not defeating the purpose of having special material for subscribers only, it might make a good inclusion somewhere in the guide.

Ah!  Thanks for reminding me!  I believe the Six Stages of Awareness is absolutely crucial to include.  In many ways understanding the psychology of our own and others' response to this information is as important as the delivering the information itself.

Henry Vermont's picture
Henry Vermont

A tool that should be used in the process of getting action and buy in is the Open Space meeting.  See a brief run through:

I am about to launch a community wide discussion and would love Futo's word file on ideas posted to help me with design.Thanks Henry Swayze[email protected]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments