CRASH COURSE DVD shipping charges are too high!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
GR8TFUL's picture
GR8TFUL
CRASH COURSE DVD shipping charges are too high!

I understand that it cost money to keep this website up & running, and that there are cost involved in producing & shipping the DVDs.

However, if in fact your goal is to make the DVDs available on a cost basis, then I think the shipping charges should be reconsidered. If a person wants to order 100 DVDs (as I do) the cost is $110--more than fair. But then $30 to ship them?! That's kind of like the sellers on eBay who offer to sell something for $10, but then charge you $6.95 to ship it--not the deal you'd originally expected. And if people want to order only 10 or 30 DVDs the shipping rates (as a percentage) are even more outrageous.

I'm guessing that you may have subcontracted the shipping of the DVD out to some other for-profit company and thus they are tacking on a substantial handling charge to the actual shipping charges in order to realize their profit. Fair enough I suppose, but wish there were some way you could charge something closer to the actual cost of shipping and not such a high "handling" fee, &/or we had the option of having our purchase shipped to us by priority mail via the U.S. Postal Service instead of only shipping by the more expensive FED EX.

cat233's picture
cat233
Re: CRASH COURSE DVD shipping charges are too high!

I ordered 100 DVDs, I just looked at the box, it weighs 20 pounds.  There is the cost of the box, the cost to put the DVDs in the box, the cost to pay someone to either take or pick up the box, the cost to transport the box from their location to ours... $30.00 seems reasonable to me.  I don't think this is where we should be fighting out battles.

Cat 

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer
Re: CRASH COURSE DVD shipping charges . .

Right cat-

These were reasonable shipping / handling charges for buying online. We do an online business and our customers pay $8 per $20 for shipping to $10 per $100 for shipping. 

I should note - there is a Flat Rate US Post box for $12+ that might hold 100cds. . . a measly  few dollars saved.

Live in Peace -

EndGamePlayer

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

i agree the cost is way too high.

they could have been done in china and shipped from there.

geez i bet with chinas interest in keeping us in the game they 

would have paid us to buy them and ship them to us.

plus they are really hurting over there and there workers are 

losing jobs. i think in our effort to spread capitalism  the next batch should be

OUTSOURCED

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Hi everyone,

We too were quite surprised by the shipping costs. Part of the story is that the box weighs more than I ever expected. The solution to that problem is to offer the DVDs in cardboard sleeves, which brings the size and weight ofthe box down considerably.

The next issue is whether the vendor is over-charging for the shipping expense. We just spoke to them about this yesterday, and have asked for a full audit of their costs. Yes, there is an agreed "fulfillment fee", which is basically the "handling" part of "shipping and handling", but I'm still skeptical about the rates.

If it makes anyone feel better, I paid the much higher rate for 3-day shipping on my own order of 300 DVDs, and I was the 2nd person in the whole community to place an order. When we ran out of the first run of 10,000 discs, the vendor took it upon themselves to "downgrade Chris and Erik in the interest of the customers", so they sat on my order for five more days and shipped it AFTER everyone else, then still charged me the 3-day shipping rate!

We're doing our best, folks. When this first came to our attention, we did have the chance to say "Whoa, stop, let's not accept any orders until we are absolutely satisfied the vendor is not marking up the shipping", but that would have guaranteed that we would have missed the Christmas holiday window.

We're also very aware of the absurdity of a single-order DVD costing $10 and the shipping costing $11! The solution to that problem will be to offer a USPS Mail option for single orders of the cardboard sleeve version.

We're working on all these things as fast and best as we can.

Erik

jkibbe's picture
jkibbe
Status: Martenson Brigade - YouTube Channel Admin (Offline)

There are two different low-cost ways that you can distribute the DVD on Amazon.com.  This will give you more exposure and provide some other benefits, also.  You can have an IMDB list, Super Saver Free Shipping, and unbox video downloads.  You can also put the DVD on Netflix when you have a UPC (which is assigned for free).  One way involves sending Amazon some stock up front and results in more profits.  The other way involves Amazon/Createspace producing DVD's on-demand, which is easier and cheaper up front but less profitable... 

http://advantage.amazon.com/gp/vendor/public/join

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=15015751

http://www.createspace.com

Navarone's picture
Navarone

Hey, might I also suggest that someone gets to work on a Wikipedia entry for this site and the crash course? 

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Heck yeah, great suggestion! (re: Wikipedia).

Actually, we've had a request out in the Martenson Brigade forums for over a week asking for a volunteer to do exactly that, but so far nobody has signed up. We'll take all the help we can get, though, Brigade Members or otherwise.

Erik

Futuo's picture
Futuo

Yeah, we are going to need a few people who are well-versed in Wikipedia posting to not only get pages up on the Crash Course (which will be competing with a movie of the same name, i believe) and Chris Martenson himself. It'll also take quite a bit of work on talk pages too i'm assuming. It's something that I may be able to get to after Christmas, so if there are any other experienced Wikipedians out there, we'd greatly appreciate your help. This should probably be in the "Promoting the Crash Course" section of the forums, though...

ckessel's picture
ckessel
Re: CRASH COURSE DVD shipping charges . .
EndGamePlayer wrote:

Right cat-

These were reasonable shipping / handling charges for buying online. We do an online business and our customers pay $8 per $20 for shipping to $10 per $100 for shipping. 

I should note - there is a Flat Rate US Post box for $12+ that might hold 100cds. . . a measly  few dollars saved.

Live in Peace -

EndGamePlayer

I agree with both posts above. If someone doesn't want to pay for shipping they can still download and cut their own DVD. What is the big deal.

Besides, it helps keep our economy bubbling along ! 

mikese's picture
mikese
Re: CRASH COURSE DVD shipping charges

I really don't like when companies charge to much for shipping, UPS FedEx and DHL are the most expensive. I always use USPS and charge $2 over cost. USPS supplies boxes bags labels so all I need is bubble wrap and packing peanuts which are dirt cheap. Priority Shipping is a 2-3 day delivery around the country their express mail starts at under $20 and their flat rate boxes are awesome to fill with as much stuff as you can fit in them for a great price. They insure track like every other company and are very good with claims. If a customer wants FedEx UPS or some other courier we'll use them. I once asked a company if they could ship priority mail instead of UPS ground so i could get my order faster and cheaper and they said they weren't setup to ship USPS which made me never buy from them. If your going to tell me a customer you can't make a special trip to the post office or schedule a pickup then clearly your customers dont matter much to you. I've rushed to NYC and used a same day courier service for another customer once and waited hours on end for them to arrive. Hardly worth it but it was a happy customer. Our company is moving to a larger location mainly because we take care of our customers and don't rip them off.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
mikese wrote:

I really don't like when companies charge to much for shipping, UPS FedEx and DHL are the most expensive. I always use USPS and charge $2 over cost. USPS supplies boxes bags labels so all I need is bubble wrap and packing peanuts which are dirt cheap. Priority Shipping is a 2-3 day delivery around the country their express mail starts at under $20 and their flat rate boxes are awesome to fill with as much stuff as you can fit in them for a great price. They insure track like every other company and are very good with claims. If a customer wants FedEx UPS or some other courier we'll use them. I once asked a company if they could ship priority mail instead of UPS ground so i could get my order faster and cheaper and they said they weren't setup to ship USPS which made me never buy from them. If your going to tell me a customer you can't make a special trip to the post office or schedule a pickup then clearly your customers dont matter much to you. I've rushed to NYC and used a same day courier service for another customer once and waited hours on end for them to arrive. Hardly worth it but it was a happy customer. Our company is moving to a larger location mainly because we take care of our customers and don't rip them off.

Mike - us neither!

That's why we went through the pain of terminating our realtionship with one company (that did not offer USPS) and establishing one with Duplium which offered us better shipping options.

Today we offer either USPS or FedEx, your choice and we bill out the handling component at cost.  No mark-ups for us there either.  What we care about is getting our DVDs to people as fast and as inexpensively as we can.

Chris

LifeisGood's picture
LifeisGood

Chris,

Like I discussed with you over at Lowesville, you can't make everyone happy and it is not your job to do so. No one will be completely satisfied or happy at all times. And some people are always going to be dissatisfied no matter what.

I ship about 1000+ packages a month through USPS/UPS and I've experienced it all since 2001.

Will

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments