Crash Course Business Cards - Samples

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brandon's picture
Brandon
Crash Course Business Cards - Samples

Hi everyone.  I know there was already a thread for this, but either
you can't upload files to comments or I'm not able to figure it out. 
The previous thread is located here:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/crash-course-business-cards/10592

I created some samples, with the little bit of information I was
able to glean from the forums about how people will use them.  I
trimmed the messaging down considerably and created a look consistent
with the DVD design.  Per Chris' request I changed some of the yellow
text to brown for readability, and per Erik's request I added the 3 Es
messaging (though subtle).   Please offer any input which you feel can
help make this marketing tool more effective.

4 Samples attached.  Full resolution (300 DPI), 3.5" x 2"

switters's picture
switters
Re: Crash Course Business Cards - Samples

Nice work, LaFanze, and thanks for your contribution.  FWIW, I vote for Design 1 - White.  I like the theme of the guy hanging on for dear life in Design 2, but visually it doesn't feel as well balanced as Design 1 to me.  Just my 2 bits.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Wow, 

Very nice. I like #1 also.

SG

Linda K's picture
Linda K

Really nice!

I'm for #1.Gosh. Agreement.

The most readable - especially "Crash Course" at the top. I love the title's reflection.

The figure running appeals to me more too. He's taking action. Yea, he's heading for the drop but maybe he'll take a leap before he gets there. The hanging man has less options.

Linda K's picture
Linda K

Forgot -

Glad you added the 3E line at the bottom. The Course is so much broader than just about economy. Good call Erik.

cat233's picture
cat233

Nice work!  Thank you for your time.

I like #1 black or white.

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

LaFanze,

Fantastic work, as always!

Just one concern... How about inserting the word free before Crash Course? Otherwise, I fear that most people in this world will assume that the person giving out the card is trying to sell something for a profit.

Thanks again for the great work!

Erik

Futuo's picture
Futuo

Those are great! As in really really really good, and far above my own ability. Definitely design 1, and I think white would be best (it seems a little happier), although I don't mind the black. Perhaps through in "free" on the bottom, so it reads "Check out the free video Crash Course online:" or something like that.

kudos, again!

GR8TFUL's picture
GR8TFUL

Nice work, Lafanze! Very clean & professional looking--lots of perceived value!! ;-)

In terms of which design is best, flip a coin, they're all good. IMO the black somehow looks richer or perhaps just different, but I am concerned that when it's all said & done, the darker-version may not print out as well as the white version.

Couple more points:

1) Ever hear the story about the Grad. student who gives the 1st draft of his thesis to the professor to look over & review?

After two days the professor gives the draft back to the student with the words "Nice 1st effort, but needs work" written in red at the top of the paper.

The Grad student spends two weeks in the library, adds a bunch of stuff, makes a bunch of changes, etc., & then gives the 2nd draft back to the professor for additional feedback. The next day the professor returns the draft back to him with the words "Much improved, but needs additional work & editing" written at the top.

So the Grad student really hunkers down this time, spends three weeks in the library this time, editing like @#$%, clarifying his thesis, adding additional documentation, etc.. Monday morning the student returns to the professor office, obviously exhausted & in need of a shower & sleep, hands the professor the 3rd draft, & says to him "I don't think there are any more changes or improvements I can make. This is the best I can do." 

The professor looks at the student with a grin on his face, gives him a wink and says, "Good. Then this time I'll actually read it."

Point is this: as good as your designs are (and they are very good!), I bet with additional time & effort you could design something even better!

2) I print a lot of business cards & holiday postcard mailouts, and printing costs really are surprisingly cheap. I think the last time I printed business cards it was something like $200 for 5000 double sided cards.

Again, going back to my original post about perceived value, I think it's a no-brainer to make these cards full color and double sided. The first side can be whichever of the 4 designs designs above you choose, and the back something else, perhaps just a bullet list of tag lines re: what one can expect to learn on the crash course, or perhaps related quotes from famous people, or perhaps a series of interesting & related web sites, or something else entirely. Below is an example of possible tag lines:

* Peak oil: what it means & it's affect on your future

* National debt & what it means for you.

* 10 million retiring baby boomers   (Made up #)

* World population growth projections & what that means for you

* How will the goverment fund it's social security & medicare obligations?

* Why do countries like China & Saudia Arabia buy our debt, and what would happen if they stopped?

The above are all just things I'm brainstorming about off the top of my head, but you get the idea.

3) Regarding the suggestion to insert the word "Free" somewhere on the business card: I may be wrong (I often am!) but I think this is a bad idea. First of all, referring back to the concept of perceived value, if something is "free" then it is evidently not worth very much, right?

Secondly, though I'm sure some people will pass out these business cards willy-nilly, leave one for the waitress along with their tip, etc., the most effective use of them will be when you give them to someone you actually have a relationship with--business acquaintence, friend, customer, etc.. Personally, when I hand this to someone, I'll probably say something like this: "Jim, could I ask you for a favor? Would you mind checking out the following website & tell me what you think about all this? When I saw this I couldn't believe it--it shocked the #$% out of me! Check it out and let me know what you think, OK? By the way, I give you my word--no one is going to try to sell you anything or ask you to buy or invest in anything--this is all purely informational."

My $0.02! Again, great job re: the new business cards--can't wait to be able to order them!

Linda K's picture
Linda K

Morning LaFanze

GR8TFUL has a great point about using the back. If some (or all) of the chapter titles were there it would answer the "what is this and why should I go there" question.

Not for including "Free". So much on the web is and that word makes me suspicious of a gimick. Only mildly opinionated about this however.

If using these cards myself I'd consider rubber stamping the back with personal contact information. Admitadly old fashioned about prefering personal interaction to online, but if I found this card I'd wonder where it came from. Haven't thought this out very far - throwing it out for consideration.

Now to get risky. LaFanze, I'm going to treat card #1 like it was a comp that I was looking at with another professional colleague. I hope you'll take this as a complement as it's intended as such. I've found this type of picky straight talk on visual detail valuable and a habit in the most productive working environments. Again - discard immediately if this makes you uncomfortable.

Setting - well lit room where we're shuffling paper around a suitably sized table:

Linda  begins •  What about moving the word "video" from in front of "Crash Course" to behind it. "Check out the Crash Course video online:" Crash Course becomes more emphatic, the fact that it's a video secondary.

LaFanze says • (?) Let's get more opinions on this - I'm just the designer.

Linda  again •  The red road/tube is the strongest visual element. I'd give it less prominence, possibly by making it thinner. The headline CRASH COURSE is what I'm really after. A form following function issue if you will, form being 'information content' in this case. I don't know if you've already tried CRASH COURSE bigger or bolder and found this messes with the balance. It is pretty at it's present weight. What about tightening the space between CRASH and COURSE? The color change makes it obvious that it's two words then it could be larger without messing with the font.

LaFanze says •Tried that - hated it - what the heck are you talking about?

Linda's still pointing and yacking • Things seem a little crowded to the outside edges. For instance - much more white space below CRASH COURSE than above. My monitor might be missing some of that wonderful shadow but I think it could be moved down just a tiny bit. Same issue with the bottom edge. I've already said what a good addition I think the "ECONOMY • ENERGY • ENVIRONMENT" line is but right now I'm getting the idea that it might have been one of those last minute additions made by the client that needed to get squeezed in.

Erik sticks his head in the door and Linda finally shuts up.

dps's picture
dps

The crash course is about much more than just the economy.  the 3 e's all need equal emphasis and spacing.

Perhaps:  Learn how Energy, Environment and Economy are all closely related!

Wonderful effort.  When can I get them and what will it cost me? ... Don

Brandon's picture
Brandon

Hi everyone. Great input.

I posted the updated files here:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/crash-course-business-cards-samples-...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments