Crash Course Business Cards - Samples 2

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brandon's picture
Brandon
Crash Course Business Cards - Samples 2

OVERALL THOUGHTS:

Thanks for the great input everyone. If was informative and fun to read. This is a long post so I'll get right down to it. I tried to address each item individually, and have some general information as well. First the general info:

• I agree with some of you that Design 1 - White is the most balanced, generally appealing, and practical. In the intersest of time, I will move forward with this design, along with a black version if time is available, and leave Design 2 behind for now.
  • I'm not sure how this will work with new versions of the cards, since I can only attach files to thread starters...this could get ugly (span several threads) so please forgive or suggest a better way, please.
  • At this point in time, I don't believe that Erik is planning on lining up a vendor and/or an ordering system for these cards. I believe it is strictly DIY for now...though maybe a project for the brigade?
  • Regarding the back of the card, I'm requesting more feedback (see below) as to the text on the back. In the meantime I created a back which includes the messaging written for the DVD, based on text from the CC. I really like this messaging, often better than any set of tag lines or catchy questions. What do you all think?

SPECIFIC THOUGHTS:

I hope that my approach here will not seem boorish. It is only meant to take the feedback from many and respond in a concise, clear fashion.

Erik suggested:

Add "free" to reassure recipient that nothing is being sold

• My Thoughts: The use of the word "free" can carry certain psychological baggage, slightly different for each person. However, sometimes it is a critical differentiator, or used to assure the reader in a situation where they would likely be predisposed to think there is a financial cost. Two audiences: For the person who assumes you are trying to sell them something, inserting the word "free" will not be credible, and will not put their suspicions to rest, unless it is clearly in contrast to "Product B" which is not free; in this case there is no "Product B". In this case, nothing was gained by using "free". The second audience does not assume you're selling something. This could be due to the environment they're in when presented the card, or simply the person's personality. In this case, inserting "free" simply serves to get them thinking in terms of financial costs (hidden fees, and other negative connotations) when they previously may not have thought about it (although arguably, they would read right over it without a thought). If there was a third audience, it would be the person that knows "nothing is free", and so using the word only hurts your cause in their minds. In all cases, I feel that the recipient's investment and commitment when it comes to following a URL to a website is so low, that the word "free" isn't necessary. In the world of the internet, most people perceive that they can leave your store in a single click if they don't like what they see...so you're more than welcome to 'try' to sell me something. And with that, I just over-analyzed the heck out of the word "free"...my apologies. I am sure Erik in no way meant for me to put this much thought into it! But since I received such great feedback, I thought I'd opine. In this and other cases regarding the promotion of this site and the Crash Course, I remain completely open to the use of the word "free".
  • Action Taken: None

GR8TFUL suggested:

Double Sided Card Design (Tag lines = Peak oil: what it means & it's affect on your future, National debt & what it means for you, 10 million retiring baby boomers, World population growth projections & what that means for you, How will the goverment fund it's social security & medicare obligations?, Why do countries like China & Saudia Arabia buy our debt, and what would happen if they stopped?

• My thoughts: How passionate are you regarding these
    specific lines? Do you feel their spot on, or are you shooting from the
    hip? We could brainstorm all week on some of these, but I'll throw in
    my two cents:

- Where is all this bailout money coming from?
            - Will the national debt affect my retirement?
            - Why does China loan us money?
            - Is this all just a normal economic cycle?

When I think about the people I'll be giving these to,
population growth is the furthest thing from their mind, baby boomers
retiring is a concern, but a cliche and already talked to death.
They've accepted the fact that social security won't be around.
National debt is probably a dead end too, but if you tie it to their
retirement you might start a conversation. So, I'm requesting more
feedback with regards to the back of the card.

• Action taken: None

"Free" is not helpful...adversly affects percieved value

• My thoughts: I agree
  • Action Taken: None

Linda K suggested:

Double Sided, possibly listing chapter titles

• My thoughts
    : Too many chapter titles to fit with reasonable font size. Also, without the context of being on a DVD with chapter listings (thus understanding them as titles) they seem like random words. Alternatively, I would use some of the catchier titles as 'bullet points' (so to speak) on the back, possibly modified a bit.

• Action taken
    : None

"Free" adds suspicion to message

• My thoughts
    : I agree

Leaving one-side allows personal contact to be placed on the back (personal touch)

• My thoughts
    : I agree. By uploading the files independently, each person can choose their presentation
  • Action taken: Independent files allow printing of single sided cards if desired

Change location of the word "video"

• My thoughts
    : Agree 100%
  • Action taken: Moved "Video" after "CRASH COURSE"

Decrease Red Line thickness

• My thoughts
    : Good call
  • Action taken: Made the line thinner

Increase size of "CRASH COURSE"

• My thoughts
    : With less separation between the words, lowering it, and pulling down the reflection, it feels stronger to me. Also, with the red line thinned, "CRASH COURSE" now clearly dominates the comp. From test prints, I would rather use any additional space to increase the size of the smaller text to increase readability, even at the expense of visual appeal.

Tighting word spacing (and maybe letter spacing) between CRASH COURSE

• My thoughts
    : Good catch. It needed that
  • Action taken: Brought words "CRASH" and "COURSE" closer together. Left individual letter-spacing as is.

Generally crowded towards outside edge, bring all in, particularly "CRASH COURSE" from top

• My thoughts
    : Agreed. This will also be more forgiving when it comes to DIY printing.
  • Action taken: Lowered "CRASH COURSE" a few points. Moved all elements inward from edges

Move "CRASH COURSE" reflection down, off of letters

• My thoughts
    : Screens are highly variable, especially with light gradients. I did some prints, and found there to be some room to move it down.
  • Action taken: Moved reflection down a "pinch"

3Es...unclear as to opinion but probabaly too close to bottom edge. Appears out of place

• My thoughts
    : Thinning the red line added room underneath to move everything up and increase the text size. Granted, the 3Es are not exactly where I would place them if given a larger canvas, but still the best place so far.
  • Action taken: Moved text up and increased font size of 3Es. Also darkened yellow color for readability.

dps suggested:

3Es all need equal emphasis and spacing (not clear on whether this means "relative to each other" or "relative to the rest of the composition's elements" or both).

• My thoughts
    : I attempted different spacing on the 3Es to increase the horizontal scale of "Economy" and "Energy" while decreasing the size of "Environment". This made for a very distracting composition and hard to read text, so went back to previous spacing, with larger font overall.

Change main messaging to "Learn how the Economy, Energy, and the environment are all closely related" (order of Es changed from what dps said, for consistency's sake)

• My thoughts
    : I could not agree more that the Crash Course, and this website as a whole are about so much more than the economy, and that this is one of several highly meaningful and differentiating attributes about the CC and CM.com. I also believe that, in thinking back to my mindset when I was exposed to the CC, that I wasn't ready to connect them all. ECONOMY, ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT....that's some seriously heavy stuff right there, that I (and so I will extrapolate to others as well) personally was not ready for, but more importantly was not LOOKING for. Although arguably it is as much Energy and Environment, for now it is the economy which most (I'm guessing) Americans perceive is affecting their lives, and at the very least it is what the 'buzz' is all about. Chris' seems (again, I'm guessing) to know this, as Economy is the dominate theme of the CC, and it very intentionally, clearly, but somehow gently introduces energy and environment and ties it together as if you knew it all along. Once you've gone through the CC, it all makes perfect sense...but prior, "ECONOMY, ENERGY, and the ENVIRONMENT" is pretty intimidating, especially when all I (average person, as characterized by LaFanze) wanted to know was where to put my 401K money and how a "bank bailout" will affect my tax return. Before you know it....POW....you're in waste deep into Chapter 17: Peak Oil. This is why I originally left it off completely to begin with, and continue to be somewhat weary of the weight of the message to "first-time CC-ers". "Economy" is the hook, the catchy chorus that got you to preview the song one more time in iTunes and really listen to what the artist was saying in the verse. With that, I also accept the fact that countless members of CM.com will be giving these cards out at countless different venues to even more people, so my personal opinions on what messag will "connect" with any particular audience is very limited indeed. So, if you still feel that "Learn how the Economy, Energy, and the environment are all closely related" will better suit your needs and the needs of those you hand these out to, I can easily swap the text and upload another version no problem. Additionally, I would invite anyone's message (hopefully, who actually plan on handing these outWink). It helps if it can be placed somewhat reasonably in the current space provided.
Brandon's picture
Brandon
Re: Crash Course Business Cards - Samples 2

I forgot to have a link to the previous thread on this topic (this thread is a continuation of the previous thread):

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/crash-course-business-cards-samples/...

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

Maybe I should have said something sooner, but......

The words "CRASH" and "COURSE" would look better to me if both had the same color as "COURSE". I find the gold color of "CRASH" to be distracting in some way. Applies to front and back of card.

Otherwise, front of card looks pretty good. Still not sure of the text on the back though - I think it could be worded better, but have no suggestion at the moment. Will need to cogitate on this.

GR8TFUL's picture
GR8TFUL

Lafanze:

I'm impressed with the amount time, thought, & deliberation you're giving this project, which is evident in the product you've produced--looks great!

Regarding my earlier post about the back of the card & you're questions above: I am not at all married to those specific tag lines, and was indeed simply "shooting from the hip" as you put it. I agree with you that population growth is not a concern to the average person, and so not a particularly effective tag line with which to capture their interests. Ditto for "peak oil". In fact, I think you should err on the side of caution with regards to any words or phrases that the average person might interpret as overly pessimistic or conspiratorial. In my speaking to others re: this site, that has been a major turnoff / obstacle I've encountered--see my new post on this forum for more on this topic.

General words / phrases that perhaps you can somehow incorporate into the back of the business card in order to capture the attention of Joe Plumber:

National Debt 

Social Security deficit

Social Security shortfall

Medicare shortfall

Sovereign wealth funds

Middle East oil

Rising energy costs

Middle East Cultural conflicts

Credit card debt + rising interest rates

boom to bailout?

Again, just free association brain storming. 

IMO the card is more than adequate as is--great job & thanks again!

Rapidly rising unemployment rates

U.S. manufacturing disappearing

Economic indicator

Hyper stock market volitility

Not married to any of the above, just brainstorming. Quite frankly, however, IMO the business card you've designed is sufficient enough as is to accomplish its' intended purpose. Great job and again, thanks!

GR8TFUL's picture
GR8TFUL

Lafanze:

What's the status of the business card project? Are they going to be mass-produced & then available for members to order, or when are the digital files going to be available to download?

Brandon's picture
Brandon

GR8TFUL:

Thanks for the feedback by the way.  I believe, as far as the back of the card goes, your latest ideas are great. I am quite sure that there are no plans to mass produce the cards and that it will remain a resource for Do-It-Yourselfers.  So, what do you think regarding the following...

- Should I create a version with bullet points from your ideas and have it as an option for the back of the card, IN ADDITION to the current messaging

- If not, then the files attached to this thread are full resolution, and are able to be used as is, and are ready for download and use

- If you are looking for a particular file format, let me know and I'll do what I can to deliver it ASAP

- I do all my printing through local companies, and sometimes in-house, but do not have experience with mass, online, printing vendors.  Basically, I'm no good to you.Cry Unlike a DVD, people don't usually sell their business cards to the masses.  Of course, this isn't really a business card in the traditional sense, so it's not surprising I suppose...

...I'm looking now....

While I do that, let me know your thoughts on the above, and if you know of such a vendor, do post!

Brandon's picture
Brandon

Okay.  Looks like I could open a store at Zazzle and upload and sell the cards.  A quick estimate shows that you could (using your numbers from a previous post) buy 5000 for around 225.50 + S&H.  A pack of 100 costs around 16.95 + S&H.

I've never used this or CafePress, etc...but some quick reseach lead me to believe Zazzle typically had higher quality.

I'm used to dealing face to face with professional printers...these sites just feel 'dirty' to me...am I alone?  But hey, if the final quality is good, I suppose I'll get over my sorry self.

I am unsure how many people will actually use these cards, and even more skeptical of the number of people who would buy them vs. print them themselves (these ChrisMartenson members are a resourceful bunch!) so I am cautious about going overboard with investment here.

Again...what are others' thoughts?

PeakProsperity.com could set up their own store, I suppose, where they could sell this and other printed promotional materials (bound to be made eventually) while offering them free on this site for DIYers.  I will look into that in the Brigade forums as soon as possible (not a member yet).  So maybe there's hope for setting up a "mass-produced" solution after all...

Of course, first the quality of the product would need to be reviewed.

I'll keep on it...

Linda K's picture
Linda K

LaFanze

You are so on top of it! I'm sure they will be beautiful and usable for everyone. Happy to have seen your great work.

Brandon's picture
Brandon

Discussion continued here:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/crash-course-business-cards-samples-...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments