Courage, Perseverance and Leadership

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Courage, Perseverance and Leadership

April 1st, 2011

It's 9:40 a.m., the Dow is up 52 points on the strength of the BLS report which reported that job creation was at 216,000, beating estimates of 190,000.

(Never mind that yesterday the Department of Labor, which reported [on the figurative front page] on 3/24 that initial unemployment claims were 382k -- and then later quietly revised that figure [on the figurative back page] to 394k, so that when this week's figures on initial unemployment were reported at 388k they could trumpet recovery on the strength of the "fact" that claims "fell" from 394 to 388, instead of rose from 382 to 388...)

It's 9:43 a.m. and CNN's top story online about Japan is that "Evacuees face a long wait" to return to their homes.

(Never mind that the fight to save the reactors is lost, and entombment seems the only remaining option --

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/japan-to-scrap-four-of-the-six-stricken-nuclear-reactors-at-fukushima-plant-2257834.html

-- and never mind that this story is coming from a UK news company [searches on cnn.com on "reactor entombment" and "bury reactor" turned up no relevant matches])

(Never mind this radiation/wind forecast showing that this weekend the plume from Fukushima is going to blow south and then curl west over Tokyo [hat tip to CM community member Debu]:  http://www.dwd.de/bvbw/generator/DWDWWW/Content/Oeffentlichkeit/KU/KUPK/Homepage/Aktuelles/Sonderbericht__Bild5,templateId=poster,property=poster.gif .)

It's 9:50 a.m. and weeks into the two humanitarian/civil crises in Libya and Ivory Coast, I have yet to hear anybody in the LameStream Media wonder out loud why our military is at risk in the former and not in the latter.

(Never mind martial law in Bahrain, the simmering Sunni-Shia tensions in Bahrain/Saudi, unrest in Syria, Gaza/Israel, faltering government in Yemen -- not a single story on CNN front page.)

It's 9:54 a.m. and the EuroZone is in a swoon -- Portugal/Ireland downgrades, rumors of bond haircuts in the latter, Merkel's gov in Germany in danger after losing elections last weekend, Portugal's gov folded last week, as did Canada's and Kuwait's [either votes of no confidence in their Parliaments or mass cabinet resignations], riots in Greece again, huge demos in UK.  

(Nevermind the quietude about that in the major media.)

And the official Chinese rating agency Dagong, on 3/29, released a report saying "The continuous implementation of such unconventional monetary policy in the United States will lead to the escalation of world credit war and inflict greater losses for related parties in the world credit system."

(China uses the phrase "world credit war" -- not "world credit issues" or "world credit imbalance" or "disagreements about liquidity" -- and the story makes nary a ripple.)

It's 10:22 a.m. and PMs are plummeting (gold off .94%, silver off 1.3%).  Funny how that happens whenever the latest ginned-up good news gets served up by the LSM (in today's case, in the 2 hours after the "good" news on unemployment).  Are you out there, Blythe?

(Never mind that the big-fish corporate insiders have been selling off their equity holdings as if the stock certificates came off the printer in the control room at Fukushima Daiichi.  I wonder what they're rolling that money into?  I mean, a fella only needs so many iPads...)

Maddening.  Infuriating.  Despair-making.  These are dark, schizoid days my friends.  

We all know how difficult and lonely it is to know what we know and to have The Megaphone screaming out "information" that runs contrary to what we know is true.  

I am writing today to buck myself up, and to offer to you a few words about Courage, Perseverance and Leadership.

Courage, friends!  Life is too short and fear in too great a supply.  To make our ways in the midst of this Great Unraveling we must not lose heart.  Draw strength from others who see what we see (here at CM.com and elsewhere).  Look to your heroes, whoever they may be, and emulate their valor.  Seek the solace and encouragement of your faith, if you can.  Know that your dauntless spirit will inspire others -- worry not that you falter or that it sometimes feels pointless, or too little.  Rare is the person who is a bottomless well of intrepidity.  Pull yourself up by your bootstraps (again and again!) and Keep On.  COURAGE!

Perseverance, friends!  This crisis is certainly taking longer to unfold than I expected.  The need to live in the Unraveling world while preparing for the Next World is a terrible grind.  Our energies are pulled in so many directions in such demanding ways that it's no surprise we sometimes feel completely sapped.  Remember we're right -- and even in this heinously distorted world that still counts.  Again, look to those around you of like mind and draw strength from them when your exhaustion peaks -- and in turn lend them your energies when theirs are flagging.  Don't forget to shut off the world and go have fun doing whatever it is that rings your bell.  When we recreate, we literally re-create ourselves.  Replenish your energy with enjoyment.  The Falling-Apart-World and all the struggles that come with it will be here after you've taken four hours or a day to enjoy yourself.  The fact that we still have time to prepare is a boon:  marshall your energy, find some element of your life right now to feel positive about, focus on it, push forward!  PERSEVERE!

Lead, friends!  Yes, I know, the zombies are all around.  They're sleepwalking their way towards the cliff edge.  They're everywhere and they're in the way of our efforts to prepare and change things.  Most of them don't want to wake up.  Think of the look we've all gotten when trying to discuss the 3Es with family, friends, co-workers:  we all know that blank gaze (or that look of fear/denial).  Even so:  lead.  Lead by doing.  Keep an ear open for those that are teetering on the edge of taking that red pill.  Try to be compassionate for those who can't get there yet.  (But also do not waste any time or energy on them.)  I find that in the weeks when I have my mojo working -- I'm in a good headspace as I balance the current world (work, socializing, exercise, etc.) and the next world (prepping, forging bonds with like-minded community), people are somehow emboldened out of their ignorance/denial and they ask questions or start meandering conversations that eventually end up somewhere in 3E territory.  (Or, way out of the blue they just e-mail me and say "Hey man, will you help us store 500 pounds of food?")  Be a lamp unto the feet of those around you.  LEAD!

And so, since love is too squishy a word, methinks (though I'd argue that we'll find greater pleasure -- and an additional reservoir of strength -- if we consider our efforts to be acts of love and compassion) -- I'll just close by saying the folks here doing the hard, too-often-thankless, and only-too-necessary work of laying the groundwork for the next world:  you are my brothers and sisters, and have my deepest respect and esteem.  If there's anything I can do to help you, let me know.

VIVA -- Sager

=====

A few bonus quotes:

Vis a vis the terrible distortions in our economy/society:  “I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money-power of the country will endeavor to prolong it's reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."  Abraham Lincoln

Vis-a-vis courage:  "A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."  William Shedd.

Vis-a-vis perseverance:  “Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.”  Walter Elliot   and  

“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never tasted victory or defeat.”  Teddy Roosevelt 

Vis-a-vis leadership:  "Be gentle and you can be bold; be frugal and you can be liberal; avoid putting yourself before others and you can become a leader among men." — Lao Tze  and 

"Rough waters are truer tests of leadership. In calm water every ship has a good captain." — Swedish proverb and 

"There is no such thing as a perfect leader either in the past or present, in China or elsewhere. If there is one, he is only pretending, like a pig inserting scallions into its nose in an effort to look like an elephant." — Liu Shao-chi

And to top it off, St. Crispin's Day from Henry V:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAvmLDkAgAM

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
hat-tip correction

It was CM.com community member guardia who posted this map in another thread!  My bad.

http://www.dwd.de/bvbw/generator/DWDWWW/Content/Oeffentlichkeit/KU/KUPK/Homepage/Aktuelles/Sonderbericht__Bild5,templateId=poster,property=poster.gif

Saffron's picture
Saffron
A million thanks

I needed this today and will be reading it a ton of times. When I first found this site I was in a panic ... having never considered myself to be one of the first "in the know" so I was certain collapse was days away. A year and a half later we've still got tons we could do but seeing how few people around me have jumped on board can get disheartening. When you are always the one screaming *this* doesn't make sense! ... follow the money! ... follow the signs! only to have people get real quiet while you finish your rant and then move on to more pleasant and politically correct conversation ... well it gets to where you don't bring things up but you also don't have it in you to just make small talk. It gets harder to connect with others 'cause you just don't have anything in common to discuss.

At the same time, I can't stock up on something without considering those very same people around me ... and getting extra if I can, no small task in a small house.

My kids think this site is bringing me down cause it keeps me thinking doom 'n' gloom ... they don't realize it's what's going on that is bringing me down ... and the frustration of hearing people justify things that are wholly and completely corrupt. The frustration that the corruption isn't even hidden anymore but people still refuse to see it! This site is what keeps me sane ... to know that others see the signs and think it practical to prepare as well. 

~ s ... who just ordered Henry V from the library ;-)

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
Most excellent posting,

Most excellent posting, Sager.  You certainly "deserve" your Diamond Membership.  Much Mahalos from one coal lump.  Aloha, Steve.

Locavorous's picture
Locavorous
Viva, indeed, Sager! "All

Viva, indeed, Sager!

"All things are ready if our minds be so!" Thank you for that.

ao's picture
ao
Great post Sager.  One has

Great post Sager.  One has to be the calm and sane eye in the midst of the turbulent and insane hurricane ... watchful and ready yet still joyful and not troubled by it all.  Easier said than done.;-)   

dingalls's picture
dingalls
total agreement
Saffron wrote:

I needed this today and will be reading it a ton of times. When I first found this site I was in a panic ... having never considered myself to be one of the first "in the know" so I was certain collapse was days away. A year and a half later we've still got tons we could do but seeing how few people around me have jumped on board can get disheartening. When you are always the one screaming *this* doesn't make sense! ... follow the money! ... follow the signs! only to have people get real quiet while you finish your rant and then move on to more pleasant and politically correct conversation ... well it gets to where you don't bring things up but you also don't have it in you to just make small talk. It gets harder to connect with others 'cause you just don't have anything in common to discuss.

At the same time, I can't stock up on something without considering those very same people around me ... and getting extra if I can, no small task in a small house.

My kids think this site is bringing me down cause it keeps me thinking doom 'n' gloom ... they don't realize it's what's going on that is bringing me down ... and the frustration of hearing people justify things that are wholly and completely corrupt. The frustration that the corruption isn't even hidden anymore but people still refuse to see it! This site is what keeps me sane ... to know that others see the signs and think it practical to prepare as well. 

+1 to all of this.  Well said.  My kids are still too little, though for judgement.  But I have all but gone away from folks who do not meet me (or at least are not struck speechless) in this discussion.  Life is too short and I have too much to do to spend time with those who are not on my same page.  There are those out there who do think this way, I just dont seem to know any of them.  I am now working hard on that exact issue.

Sager, again you manage to put to words a series of sentiments that are difficult to frame into words and you do it with such eloquence.  Thank you for sharing.

I wish there could be some sort of CM.com conference or something so we could come together in the same room at some point.  How refreshing that would be.   I agree that the energy, enthusiasm and sincerity of the folks on this site is a huge and powerful force in my life now.  I would be even more nutsy if I did not have such a resource.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Thanks

Thanks for the kind words, gang.

A few thoughts:

Saffron wrote:

This site is what keeps me sane ... to know that others see the signs and think it practical to prepare as well.

Amen, sister!

Thatchmo:  not one coal lump, bruddah, you da kine pahoehoe!

ao wrote:

One has to be the calm and sane eye in the midst of the turbulent and insane hurricane ... watchful and ready yet still joyful and not troubled by it all.  Easier said than done.;-)

Yep.  As I wrote in my post, this was a tough week for me.  But last night was First Friday night at our house -- and the presence of our circle of people was a refreshing balm.  NOICE.

diamarie wrote:

I have all but gone away from folks who do not meet me (or at least are not struck speechless) in this discussion.  Life is too short and I have too much to do to spend time with those who are not on my same page.

Yes, yes, and yes!

diamarie wrote:

wish there could be some sort of CM.com conference or something so we could come together in the same room at some point.

That is a spectacular notion!  Pick a weekend, as many as can come meet somewhere nice.  It'd be awesome to kick back, sip some good bourbon and yak the night away.  

Allright -- time to plant some peas, radishes and spinach.  Come hither, Spring!!!

Viva -- Sager

Nate's picture
Nate
Sager, Thanks for putting

Sager,

Thanks for putting your thoughts into words.  I REALLY needed to hear them.  So much of what you (and others) said is spot on. I have felt especially drained lately, living with one foot in this world and one foot in the world we will soon enter. 

CM.com conference?  Great idea!  You sip bourbon, and I'll have red wine. 

Nate

Jim H's picture
Jim H
CM Conference

Sager... thank you for the uplift... I have been a recipient of your positive energy before (organizing Chris' talk in New Paltz last year) and always appreciate another burst of it when offered.  

I love the idea of a "friends of CM" conference, and would put one on my calendar for sure.  I know there are existing conferences that address, for instance, hard asset investing.  I think there is enough critical mass at this point for someone to start a "prepper" conference that gets all the suppliers together for an exposition and experts/gurus like Chris in to provide talks.  Just thinking out loud. 

How about an East Coast get together for starters? 

dingalls's picture
dingalls
conference

The first annual CM.com conference....

I would love to attend, and the east coast does make sense from a certain standpoint although with the little ones travel can be tricky.  I do know, however, that I am heading with the fam to Boston area this summer and up to Maine (Camden) for a week or so.  My geography is absolutely horrid on that side of the country (too much going on there, I am a west coast girl where there are only three states to keep track of) would that area be doable for folks in the surrounding area?  You know, Camden, Maine is a wonderful vacation spot...

and strictly off the record, my libation of choice will be a superfood smoothie!  

NZSailor's picture
NZSailor
Great thoughts...

Thanks Sager.... great thoughts and comforting to see that I am not the only one amazed (...angry, depressed, sad...) at the blatent double speak that passes for news today.

Its the fantastic group of grounded, articulate, thoughtful people from Chris on down that brings me back every day to this site.

Chip

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Nate
Nate wrote:

+10!

Sager,

Thanks for putting your thoughts into words.  I REALLY needed to hear them.  So much of what you (and others) said is spot on. I have felt especially drained lately, living with one foot in this world and one foot in the world we will soon enter. 

Geez, Sager, you brought a tear to my eye!  Boy did you ever capture the current sentiment I am (and others here are) living with!

Thank-you; the inspiration was most timely, and much needed!

Saffron's picture
Saffron
Wanted to bump this thread ...

I dug it up a couple of days ago just to reread it and thought others might appreciate the boost as well.

The increase in senseless violence and abject corruption overwhelms me at times. I think people are responding to the tension they are feeling ... probably without even knowing precisely what they are agitated about. I am sure today's stock market plunge will only heighten the tension all around - even for people who aren't affected directly.

At any rate, Sager's quotes were welcome a few months ago when he started this thread and hopefully some who missed it the first time around will appreciate seeing it this time.

~ s

Poet's picture
Poet
Courage, Perseverance, Leadership!

Inspiring words, Sager!

Just remember, as John Michael Greer has written... It will take a long time, with each crisis met with some extraordinarily expensive measure that only buys a brief pause of relief before the next.

We can most definitely use any remaining time to prepare. First crawling. Then walking and talking. Then learning and doing.

Poet

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Thanks Saffron, Poet

Interesting, as my car chugged up the hill to my house after work today, this old post popped into my head.  No doubt some part of my mind twigged to it because of the events of recent days.  It's one thing to be slogging along in Bizarro World (last April), and another entire to be face-to-face with all sorts of chickens coming home to roost.  So I reckon I recalled the post to give myself a shot in the arm.  I've got several important irons in the fire and I wouldn't want to let them slide just because another chunk of the Mainstream Consensual Hallucination is busy shaking itself into flinders...  (wry grin)

And if my musings help folks keep on keepin' on, then I'm honored and ya'll made my day.  

Viva -- Sager

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments