country smarts or city smarts

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
burntfingers's picture
burntfingers
country smarts or city smarts

the city guy decides to buy a pice of property in the country.... spends all day raking leaves into neat piles.... loading them ....taking them to the pile in the back fourty...... the country guy  walks up and lights the pile on fire....that was the day i started to respect the country smarts....

V's picture
V
Re: country smarts or city smarts

Then there was the country guy who bought a bridge in New York. Went down the street telling everyone he just bought a bridge. Said howdy to everyone he met and was followed back to his hotel and got mugged.

V

ao's picture
ao

I think the smart country guy or smart city guy would compost the leaves.  Can you imagine the problems if every single country guy burned his leaves.  Let's list the problems: aesthetic problems (smoke and smell), health problems (air pollution), fire risk, waste of time having to stand around and monitor the fire (unless the country guy is dumb and walks away from the fire), etc.  Country or city person, it doesn't matter.  The individual matters.  Interestingly enough, quite a number of years ago there was a true survival special (not the crap on reality TV now).  A couple of tough New Yorkers handled all the problems better than anyone else. Fading to the background music of " ... if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere ...".  This country/city stuff just falls into the Hegelian dialectic issue that has been discussed in depth in past posts.

Travlin's picture
Travlin

I knew country people who just raked the leaves away from the house and burned off the yard.  It added nitrogen to the soil.  Effecient recycling at its best. 

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Good luck raking 100 - 2000 acres of leaves !       If ya have been to the country in the spring you would know we light up the hills with fire to burn the prairie grass   and burn off the underbrush .  Saves on so  much dead  growth adding up to being a total fire hazard  from  lightning strikes in the dry seasons ,and Travlin is right puts nitrogen to the soil. 

Country smarts ....  country  boy Sits in the middle of the truck .... Does not have to do the driving ,  nor be the one on the right hand side that has to get out and open every gate and fix the fence .  

DRHolden's picture
DRHolden

Leaves have been falling from trees since the beginning of tree-time.  In the last couple hundred years man has decided that he needs to make things neater and pick up the leaves and move them somewhere else or burn them.  Hunter/Gatherers spent about 15 hours a week working, and the rest was leasure.  How many hours of leasure do we have now-a-days?  Humans are just making their own lives more complex everyday, and getting no more satisfaction out it. And, in the process of doing this, they are destroying the only place they have to live.

Doug's picture
Doug

Some leaves I burn, some I rake and take to the compost pile that's been turning leaves to compost for the last 15 years.  They passed a ban on outdoor burning in NY a couple years ago.  I asked our fire chief what the deal was.  He said no one enforces it and people continue to burn autumn leaves every year just like always.  We also have an annual picnic and bonfire where I burn all the limbs I pick up around the yard and waste from the firewood operation.  Makes a BIG fire and everyone has a good time.  No one has ever said a word.  I guess that's part of the advantage of living in old country where things don't change much, things don't change much.Smile

Doug

burntfingers's picture
burntfingers

SO ..THE CITY GUY ASKS THE COUNTRY GUY TO GIVE HIM A PRICE TO HELP WITH THE ACRAGE.... THE COUNTRY GUY SAYS.... LET ME DO THE GOZINTAS ON IT.....THE CITY GUY SAYS WHAT THE HECK ARE GOZINTAS???/  ......THE COUNTRY GUY SAZ....DIS GOZINTA  DAT AND DAT GOZINTA DIS........

hey were are all free to pet our own peeves....but  i try to pet the one's that bear the best fruit

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

1980's  house 2000 sq ft,  3 huge  barns ,loafing shed , two garages , well /windmill ,  10 acres  $150 K....    Country smarts ?

burntfingers's picture
burntfingers

taint rocket science....how da ya spell taint anyway???? cant find that one in  my speel check machine

the city guy cares more about grammer n speln ,says thet its needed for accurate communications

but maybe he is too buzy with that to hear the message

lets all meet out by the out house for the urniary  altitude  competition, after we declare a winner we can all get back to decidin what to do with all of these dam leaves....

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

iffin we got  all dressed up and gassed up  the fancy pickup up truck  we culd go on intu that thare big city an see howins they cut down all the trees and put up them big tall houses ,buildins,and cement fields ..... soins they don't havter burn prairies an rake thar leaves.  Maybe thay can use sum of that tax money tu pay someone ta study the bestus way to haul  thar leaves off.

Whilins we are thar we can watch the Fancy Pissin Contest( hear tell they got instruckshun on how ta worsh yer hands in them fancy out houses and  thays to good ta use water )  OH !   We can  whach them drive thar fast cars round and round at one of them nascar chasin  circles , an et at one of them fancy food places that brings in stuff from as fur away  as sum place called Mongolia .  Can't stay late tho...   Heifers needn fed , Wheat is abut  redi  and chorin time will not be fun in the dark .... or maybe it will.

Well weuns had one of them thar little  twisters come thru and gotter get the chainsaws fired up.  LOT less leaves for us to be a woryin ubout  this fall fur sure .  I  will call ya when we decide to light a match to um  ....yu can bring the weines and I'll fix up a big batch of tater salad.

Feelin  down rite Blessed thet no one wus hurt . Yu all  best go on in without usins this time .

FM

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

It has been brought to my attention that In my ignorance I have offended people and  drug the quality of this site down .    I apologize .

Best to all !

FM

burntfingers's picture
burntfingers

Some out of the box thinkers may say that it has been elevated. Anything that can open people'S EYES and make them think about issues that they may too blind to see outright for them selves

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Just heeding the warning  I got ... I would not win in war of words or intellect .    Silly me ...    I am just real  enough to know  the  EEE's  is not a battle that is going to be won from the top few ....   or from a high  horse .    Many Generals do not win the war ...  chase off the soldiers and then where are you ?

FM

burntfingers's picture
burntfingers

The wisdom to be gained  is unmeasurable from these brief exchanges.. don't you think...

would it not be a perfect world if we were all perfect....

flat  roller coasters are not any fun.......

I guess I need to get better at reading BETWEEN THE LINES

Also ... it is a fine line we must all walk to maintain peace , harmony and a sense of a real community

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Full Moon wrote:

Just heeding the warning  I got ... I would not win in war of words or intellect .    Silly me ...    I am just real  enough to know  the  EEE's  is not a battle that is going to be won from the top few ....   or from a high  horse .    Many Generals do not win the war ...  chase off the soldiers and then where are you ?

FM

FM,

Right now I'm living in an area of the UK that is seen as the cream of the crop for hi IQ's. This short order of between 1 and 5% seem to spend a great deal of time chinwaggin' 'bout stuff-n-all, but thay sure ain't got it where it counts. I mean to say, while thay is organisin' an' modifyin' an' agreein' n' stuff, the rest r' muddlin' along. Nice to know all those hi IQ's are happy keepin' themselve's busy while the work's gettin' done.

The truth is, I have my bet's on Emotional Intelligence than from anything else.  Karl Albrecht book Social Intelligence has a paragraph or two called "Going Beyond IQ" worth reading to confirm what you really already knew; because you sensed it was so; which is greatly as to the reason why I enjoy reading your posts as much as I do ...

... and why I'm emigrating ... Laughing...

~ VF ~

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Vanityfox ,     My family was on the boat to America 4 years after the Mayflower .  Always a little scandal going on  at  the TOP .   Being cousins to the King   made  me wonder..... were we banished as an embarrassment  or ones to have hope for new adventure ?  I can tell you for sure these grandparents  were built of stronger  determination than I .  Even years later  the ride this far out on the wagon train would have  see me  whining about sand in my sleeping bag  after just a few weeks  .      A few days without electricity  last week  had the kids  going at  each other.  We did ok  but  the change  puts people on edge ,SOOO ... much more to learn .

BF, Would not know  what a flat ride was like ...  peaks and valley's  do  make us stronger and hopefully  wiser .    My life has been way to cushy lately .  Those that do not walk the fine line disappear here .  I believe  most communities  are destroyed from within  .... being attacked from the outside  binds  you  together and therefore stronger .  

FM   

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Full Moon wrote:

Vanityfox ,

My family was on the boat to America 4 years after the Mayflower; always a little scandal going on at the Top. Being cousins to the King made me wonder... we were banished as an embarrassment or ones to have hope for new adventure? I can tell you for sure these grandparents were built of stronger determination than I. Even years later the ride this far out on the wagon train would have see me whining about sand in my sleeping bag after just a few weeks. A few days without electricity last week had the kids going at each other. We did ok but the change puts people on edge, SOOO...much more to learn.

Full Moon,

There is hope that you weren't of the royal strain who's lineage was King George The Third, and was more of the tenacity and rigour of Elizabeth The First? Seriously, when the power went out a few days ago here, wiping everything I'd written and killing my hard-drive irreparably in the process, I lost no time in devolving down to a primate, with an interesting use of the vernacular.

Here's to a safe future ...

~ VF ~

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

double post

burntfingers's picture
burntfingers

I forget were I heard this one ,

Schooling results in matriculation, education is a process that changes the learner

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments