Could This Be The Spark

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Could This Be The Spark

is this the start of something. this was the day of the end the fed rallys as well tea partys end the fed imf protests............i cast my prodigious probiscos into the breeze and i think th eanswer is blowing.

Protesters, police clash near IMF meetings in DC

Email this Story

Apr 25, 12:51 PM (ET)

By NAFEESA SYEED
(AP) Protesters clash with law enforcement officers as they try to push them back on the sidewalk during...
Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) - More than 100 protesters upset with the way world leaders have handled the economic crisis clashed with police Saturday outside the International Monetary Fund and World Bank meetings.

Authorities used batons and pepper spray when activists tried to march onto a prohibited street, and several people were pushed to the ground by police. The protesters swarmed officers unexpectedly, and police had to respond, said D.C. police Capt. Jeffrey Harold.

A 22-year-old man accused of using pepper spray on an officer during the scuffle was arrested, D.C. police said. Before the demonstrations began, police arrested six people and accused them of vandalizing two banks, an incident that authorities think was linked to the protests.

Protesters claimed police responded without warning.

"This was very excessive," said the Rev. Don Thompson, 73, who was observing the protest on behalf of the National Lawyers Guild. "They didn't give us a warning to get off the street."

Thompson was knocked to the ground as police pushed activists backward near an IMF building. His elbow was scraped and bleeding.

Two demonstrators were taken to a hospital with minor injuries, said D.C. fire department spokesman Billy Hayes.

Earlier, demonstrators tried to block three intersections, including an area near hotels where they said meeting delegates were staying. But in each case, the protesters were steered back to the sidewalk by police.

Nicole Davis, 22, of Washington, who participated in one of the morning blockades outside a hotel, said police physically lifted her and nine other protesters and moved them from the street to the sidewalk.

Davis said IMF and World Bank policies are hurting the poor.

"Capitalism clearly is not working," Davis said. "I think there needs to be a different system."

The IMF is a Washington-based lending institution that monitors the global economy, warns of impending crises and provides financial and technical advice to its 185 member nations.

i particularly liked the part about the imf being a dc based institiution monitoring the global economy lol

rowmat's picture
rowmat
Re: Could This Be The Spark

Just wait for the next 12-24 months.

When the Ma and Pa's and their grandkids take to the street to demonstrate against the looting of the economy and the loss of their own financial security the authorites will have a tough descision to make.

Beating elderly people with batons and using pepper spray on them will not look good.

Once the government senses large scale social unrest they will move very quickly to stifle it.

I think martial law and curfews will be inevitable in many regions.

It maybe some kind of 'false flag' incident is created to justify a sudden crackdown resulting in the banning of any public gatherings. (Maybe this potential flu pandemic will be what it takes to prevent large gatherings?)

That will be the new legislation. Soon it will be illegal to congregate in groups of say, five or more without a permit.

Oh yeah, and the permits will cost $50,000 per person.... payable to any branch of the Federal Reserve of course! 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments