Controversial Topics Forum

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Controversial Topics Forum

hi y'all

well i am just a sittin down here in moonshine country wonderin ifn it will ever stop raining.............my garden is drowning.

anyway i checked in at the ol martenson site today and in the recent comments section i happened to notice a bunch of comments on guns and ammo and survivalist stuff.

now i know this is important but i have seen posts end up in the controversial .....that is to say enter at your own risk dungeon that i think might be just a tad less controversial than guns.

i just ried to put mmyself in the position of someone entering the site for the first time getting the wrong impression about what really goes on on this site ..............not that i would know.

but very soon the firearms thread will have more hits than the crash course and i think it already has more comments.

so i was just wonderin if anyone else had the same impression. i have received comments from some i sent here .........course we here in arkansas like nothing better than talkin bout guns and ammo cept a course shootin.

kinda missin that ol bill sharon feller ifn ya know what i mean.

i'll come back when i kin stay awile...........y'all keep ya powder dry............hear?

wouldnt surprise me none ifn this here post went to the dungeon

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: Controversial Topics Forum

Hi, Joe;

I've been a bit concerned about the same thing . . . . . Not that having the means to protect oneself and one's family isn't important, but the heavy focus on firearms is a bit disturbing, in a superficial sense.  In the interest of full disclosure, I have consulted the experts on the Firearms Thread on a few occasions, and found them to be an invaluable resource.  And, having interacted with a number of the firearms "regulars", it is clear to me that the folks there are generally well-rounded individuals with a grounded sense of the entire array of skills and tools necessary to face the future. 

If I may be allowed a bit of speculation, I wonder whether the current intense interest in firearms, here on CM, exists because this population rightly perceives that social collapse may be imminent, and that firearms and ammo are in the first wave of what will, no doubt, prove to be a tidal wave of shortages.  Indeed, if there is a chaotic period, we must first survive that, if we are to harvest the fruits of our agricultural labors.

All of that having been said, I have mixed feelings about moving the topic to the "Controversial Topics" corral.  On the one hand, the topic is certainly controversial to the public, at large.  Indeed, some folks might get the false impression that this community is "all about" armed responses to the current situation, if they failed to actually read the context of the posts.  On the other hand, the thread does attract a lot of attention from folks who are willing to do more than just talk about the problem, and I've noticed that, in many cases, the Firearms Thread one of the first places where new members post.

FWIW, IMHO

becky's picture
becky

Joe, I'm sending you a little sunshine to go with that moonshine.  Good question.

I've read parts of the Firearms thread, but never posted because it's just not something I'm knowledgeable about.  But, I'm comfortable with it staying out in the open (instead of the dungeon).  My feeling is that the Controversial section should be reserved for topics that will most likely attract very strong opinions and maybe a bit of shouting.  I could be wrong, but I  haven't noticed that reaction here when it comes to firearms.  People here seem to be very respectful of individual choices when it comes to firearms.  

Maybe just giving potential newcomers a bit of a heads up concerning the guns and ammo talk would be enough.  If that scares them off, then I don't know how they would deal with the information that they would get from this site. 

C1oudfire, I think your speculation might be right.  It definitely feels like the calm before the storm. 

becky

Edit:  I'm now a bronze member -- whoohoo!  (but not like I'm counting or anything)

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

thank you for your response

my point is in relation to guns some of the topics in the dungeon are rather tame and certainly innocuous. and i cant see why we can discuss guns and not some political issues which i think just as relevant i am not for moving the guns thread nor am i for a controversiqal topic dungeon.

most of us are adults and if they fall within the guidelines it is good enough for me

castlewp's picture
castlewp

Anything containing "The Defintive (fill in the blank) Thread" should be in it's own dungeon.  FWIW, IMHO

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
castlewp wrote:

Anything containing "The Defintive (fill in the blank) Thread" should be in it's own dungeon.  FWIW, IMHO

Snicker . . . . The phrase is getting a bit worn out, isn't it?

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Sorry about the Definitive phrase. I'll claim responsibility for that.

That said, I'm comfortable with moving it to the dungeon.
I don't sit and talk guns over a dinner table with my grandma...I clean them!

Kidding.
Seriously - it's not a topic that needs "focus". But it is a topic that we can share experiences and exchange opinions, and I think it's done in as moderate of a tone as have ever been achieved on the internet since Al Gore invented the thing.

It won't hurt my feelings if it gets moved, but I have a feeling that we'll just end up with new threads from new folks asking old questions.

Cheers!

Aaron

becky's picture
becky

I just checked in on the Firearms thread -- at 16 pages and growing, if that's not "Definitive", I don't know what would be.  Very impressive!

Don't move it to the dungeon. 

becky

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

I think it's generous of Aaron to graciously offer no resistance to moving the Firearms Thread, but on reading back through all of the posts on this thread, I don't see anyone who is suggesting that.  The thread provides concrete information about a subject that is pertinent to the times we live in.  Though its popularity currently seems out of proportion to other subjects, as we progress through the various phases of this transition, I would imagine that we will see other subjects come into vogue, each in their turn.  I've personally watched myself go through this progression . . . . . In the beginning, I was interested in understanding how we got into this mess.  Then, I became interested in preparing for TSHTF, and implementing transitional strategies.  Now, I'm focusing on long-term sustainability.  During each phase, I found myself gravitating more frequently toward the appropriate threads. But, I fully understand that newcomers will be entering at all the various stages, and safety is probably second only to food in most folks' priorities.  For that reason, I like having the Firearms Thread accessible in the main forums, where visitors can access them as easily as longtime members.

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Thanks C1oudfire!

I appreciate the kind words, and 'vote of confidence' as it were.

Aaron

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Hello Joe and others,

I really like the variety of information on this blog and in some strange way, it all fits together.  Money, societal collapse, survival, tyranny, guns, storing food, gardening, the Federal Reserve and on and on.  Like many here, I had never considered a gun for self defense but that was before the reality of what SHTF may mean to my family's security and well being.

So, first, let me say, I would really prefer that the gun and self defense threads remain prominent and integral to the forum.  I am a rookie at many of these concepts and need this information.  I bought a handgun and got a CCW but I will not consider carrying it until I learn the practical and tactical skill-sets that I only became aware of from this forum (H/T Aaron).  I'm not very vocal in these threads because I have little to add and lots to learn.

I also agree with Joe; I don't like to see threads sent to Siberia.  One thing I've noticed is that if a thread becomes too testy and contentious, it is often regulated to Siberia.  I think this is more the result of bad manner management rather than censorship.  Unfortunately, some of these threads are hi-jacked by noisy and rude people who offer nothing but insults (tin foil hats, CT, etc).  Much of this stems from the fact that "patriotism" and "political correctness" have been created and corrupted to keep the people dumb and quiet.

My observation is that we went through a growing period where people are becoming more tolerant and open to contrarian opinions.  While we are guests at this site, it is also up to us to create and maintain an open and respectful exchange.

Larry

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir

Thanks for the support of the Tactics and Firearms threads Larry, I've seen a couple of your posts and it's nice to see you're a long time lurker on these threads.

I agree with your assessment on the information that is in a lot of both the general discussion, and news threads, there are issues in these areas that like you I'd never considered from a SHTF scenario, I suspect we come from different directions on this. I'm more directed to absolute survival, and rebuilding, than finance, I've learned a lot from the financial threads, and how things operate, as many here I have a broker, and comparitively substantial financial assets (I'm not a millionaire yet, nor want to be, but I have enough to stop the rat race, and focus on what's important to me), but a lot of that is managed by the broker not me, he's mentioned that he's surprised at some of the more pertinent questions (T-Bills, Bonds, Commodities, etc.) I'm now asking and that is thanks to this site and the others on it.

The way I see it, Controversial is in the eye of the beholder, as you mention consigning a thread to Siberia, is to a degree rude, editing of contentious posts or comments in posts is often performed in other forums, but leaving the some portion content of the poster. Strangely I do sometimes like to see a thread get heated, and passionate, since this resonates with me, and moves my point of equilibrium to look at things from a different prespective. No two people will ever agree entirely on any subject, just ask my wife, and in the main we do keep things polite, sometimes more polite than others, but as a forum there is nothing that I've seen on here that even remotely resembles some of the outright flaming I've seen on other forums.

I think that some tolerance of some of the more controversial topics is a good thing too, since it takes all sorts, a lot of the conspiracy theories are cast off into the Controversial Gulag, and while I'm not a huge conspiracy theorist some of these have interesting evidence that might not turn up in a more formal discussion on the price of peas.

Anyway my 2 cents of old money, which will soon be $25, or maybe 1 New Federal Dollar.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
A Little Cayenne with Those Peas?
Gungnir wrote:

The way I see it, Controversial is in the eye of the beholder, as you mention consigning a thread to Siberia . . . . . . . . Strangely I do sometimes like to see a thread get heated, and passionate, since this resonates with me, and moves my point of equilibrium to look at things from a different prespective.  . . . . . . . . . . . nothing that I've seen on here that even remotely resembles some of the outright flaming I've seen on other forums.

I think that some tolerance of some of the more controversial topics is a good thing too, since it takes all sorts, a lot of the conspiracy theories are cast off into the Controversial Gulag, and while I'm not a huge conspiracy theorist some of these have interesting evidence that might not turn up in a more formal discussion on the price of peas.

All well stated, Gungnir . . . . . . . Though I would argue for a higher bar than being somewhat more civilized than other "flaming" forums . . . . . And, lol to the price of peas . . . . . . While I have enjoyed the recent quieting (with some exceptions) of the usual CT bickering, I must say that, as with rice and beans, I like a bit of spice with my economic analysis. . . . . . although Machinehead's colorful writing style has gone a long way toward remedying my recent boredom with day after day of bleak economic news. . . . . .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments