The contempt for the middle class

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
The contempt for the middle class

Yesterday I was at my friends house. This special on the "crumbling middle class" came on ABC7. I told my buddy "isnt that horrible, that the middle class is evaporating?". My buddy, being a rich dude says "fu** them". Then he says, "they need to go pick strawberries". Right then and there wanted to rip his head off. More and more I have distanced myself from this buddy of mine. Even though he is a millionaire, he isnt big time. Yet he has this "elitist" attitude about that makes me sick. When i talk about rising oil prices and the effect it will have on the economy he says "i dont really care, ive got plenty of money to fill up my suburban". Yeah, ok. We will see what happens when the "strawberry picking middle class" can no longer afford that consumer products that you sell.

The main point is this: if this little fish has such a elitist attitude and views the suffering middle class with such contempt imagine how the wall street oligarchs view the rest of us! This guy makes less then a million a year, imagine the multi millionaire pin stipe bandits.

Unreal.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: The contempt for the middle class

"As flies to wanton boys are we..."

King Lear, IV.i

Crash's picture
Crash
bearmarkettrader wrote:

This guy makes less then a million a year,

Thats middle class in my book. If he thinks he's the big shot capitalist just remind him who actually owns the means of production. The bankers. For whom a million dollors is small change.

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Its around 700k a year. Upper middle class is probably where he fits. Nonetheless, his attitude reeks.

Crash's picture
Crash

Upper middle class fits, but its still middle class. I think you should set that bear on him. Do you think the bear will eat him faster than inflation will eat his 'wealth'?

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Oh wow im so glad you said that! For months ive tried to convince him to convert some of his cute little FRN's into gold or silver bullion. To this day he refuses to buy. He is convinced that gold is in a bubble and everytime it falls he texts me and laughs at me. This guy is CASH heavy and has a few million in the bank. To this day he is completely exposed to bens printing press.

Lately i dont go see him much anymore. "Those who have ears to hear, let them hear". He had the blessing of meeting someone like me who has the knowledge and foresight regarding the economic environment. He has refused to listen. So i stopped talking.

Crash's picture
Crash

I am assuming he hasn't watched the CC? If not, perhaps give him a copy of the DVD (I find that this can be a more sure fire way of someone watching it than saying to them "go watch it at www..." , but I wouldn't waste too much time being frustrated with him. There will be more open-minded people in your life wth whom you can foster useful relationships.

good luck

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Crash wrote:

I am assuming he hasn't watched the CC? If not, perhaps give him a copy of the DVD, but I wouldn't waste too much time being frustrated with him. There will be more open-minded people in your life wth whom you can foster useful relationships.

Bearmarkettrader, I agree about not wasting time being frustrated, but I hope you'll learn there and report here.  The guy with the revolting attitude is someone you identified as a friend and buddy.  You seem to have an opportunity to learn about getting through.  Please stay on the case, if you can keep learning.  Building community requires such outreach and persistence of us.

The guy is proud of his fortune, such as it is.  Do you know why his pride has the qualities you've described?  Why does it seem extreme?  Did he begin behind the start line or well after the starter's pistol sounded?  Was he victorious despite competition from the sure winner?  Did no one believe in him before?  Start the learning by gaining such understandings.

His pride is distracting him, for now.  It may have to run its course.

Your option, of course.

Crash's picture
Crash
deggleton wrote:

Building community requires such outreach and persistence of us.

Its true.

rocketgirl1's picture
rocketgirl1

Be careful and don't expose all your ideas because even the folks you haven't talked to in ages will remember you when they reach the point of uncomfortable (notice I didn't say desperation) and they will want what they know you have.  For someone like your friend, it won't even take true desperation before they feel they are desperate.  Either be prepared physically and emotionally for helping them when they come knocking OR shut up and stop trying.  That goes for anyone you've ever talked to that you know hasn't taken heed and at least begun to prepare. 

I know a family with 3 very young children that we love very much and that haven't prepared at all and I just know we'll be helping them if disaster strikes.  This weighs heavy on me but what can you do?  I think it's really important to wrestle with these decisions now while we have the luxury of time and the ability to plan.  As much as we all just hate the pompous ass millionare, are we prepared to turn them away when they remember you in their time of need? 

Point is, if you're gonna share your insight then be prepared to answer the knock cuz it's gonna happen one way or the other, it's commin!

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

So funny this friend of yours  is ! The  poor folk have him way out numbered  ....they will  eventually take what they need or want .   What skill does he possess for survival  and how many friends can he depend on ?    He probably can not even protect his own self behind the walls of his castle  let alone plant the strawberries .  I have a friend that said a similar thing  then*BOOM*  he is living in a much homier part of the city  finding he really did not need all that much space ( LOL)  And saying he will clean hog pens if he has to.  Lots of luck there those jobs are taken .     Who does he think made him rich ?  Lots of little poor people  .... why would he hate them so?  Well I guess this is only going to get worse , when they become a mill stone around his neck.

I  treasure my friends with skills to make things work, those that can scrounge around  like rats.       And YEAH   they have asked recently " How much worse can it get?"   Now we get the door open and get down to business of what really counts.  

We will sell him some strawberries $ 4 a pint .  ( so far )   wonder how much he will  actually pay for them ???    He darn well better use some of the big bucks to buy him a gardener  with a big gun . Oh and one that can make strawberry wine , he's going to need it .

FM  

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

To answer the question about where he started:

His dad was a worker bee, really cruel and abusive. Buddy of mine walked out of college in his 2nd year, started selling cell phones, then made his own company, then sattelite TV. His business grew and grew. He's pretty big now. Very good business man indeed. Still, shocked to see his true feelings emerge. He never exhibited these signs before. Of course, the true character of a person is revealed not in the 1st yr becuase they put on the happy face. As time goes on you see their true nature.

If he, a small business owner with lots of cash views the middle class as such, imagine how Geithner and Blankfein talk about the rest of us.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

So his Business does totally depend on the mass of middle and low income people !     For sure  it is one of the first things people will give up because phone and T.V .are not a need  and the first things to go in a solar flare .  He  may be building his house on sand but seems to be the kind of guy that has the drive and will end up back on his feet . 

For  Myself, I only worry about what they say when they are talking about  taking away our freedoms.   I like choosing my own Dr. and health care , I choose what education my children receive, I choose how many guns are in my house .  I am for small business and Entrepreneurs   but Maybe you should give us his company name and we can choose whether we want to support the fellow .    

If you love this guy  buy some extra beans for when he moves in with you  OR  do not let him know you have been prepping .

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Well I braved getting off the farm to take one of the daughters to the MCI airport ... smack dab in the middle of the USA . I was in total shock of the number of HUGE new houses built in the last 10 years !!! They are bigger than churches ! They are bigger than our bank ! What are they thinking ?? And what do we hear in the news but that they are closing schools and making them homeless shelters .
How many people do you suppose live in these big houses ? How much are their utilities ? What do they need such a place for ? Sleep , eat , and shower ! HOW MUCH MONEY CAN THESE PEOPLES ANNUAL INCOME BE? For Pete's sake can they own those out right ? Who do they think will ever be able to buy them ?
No wonder they have contempt for us peons.

Ok , now so how much unemployment will they receive if they loose their job ?

Granted I am so out of touch that I nearly fell over when a neighbor's farm when for $4000 an acre. I said "There is no way he will be able to make money on that land..... beans are way down . He will have to bag that dirt and sell it by the pound !" but this at least would have a use to feed people .

OH My WOW ... how ever have I been so happy and content with my tiny little farm in my corner of the world ?

Guess this guy will just have to have contempt because I sure am not going into debt to try to keep up with everybody out there.

Guide me to the Po-folk site , please ! I can more relate to the frugal ,tightwad community . .

FM .

Davos's picture
Davos
bearmarkettrader wrote:

To answer the question about where he started:

His dad was a worker bee, really cruel and abusive. Buddy of mine walked out of college in his 2nd year, started selling cell phones, then made his own company, then sattelite TV. His business grew and grew. He's pretty big now. Very good business man indeed. Still, shocked to see his true feelings emerge. He never exhibited these signs before. Of course, the true character of a person is revealed not in the 1st yr becuase they put on the happy face. As time goes on you see their true nature.

If he, a small business owner with lots of cash views the middle class as such, imagine how Geithner and Blankfein talk about the rest of us.

Don't think strawberry pickers are going to be watching satellite or yakcing on cell phones. No middle class = no economy, Obama can't subsidize everything on top of health care. Of course, perhaps he can hire a lobbyist to buy enough votes to make satellite TV and cellphones make people more healthy.

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

So this guy's a jerk.  There are plenty of jerks - rich jerks, poor jerks, stupid jerks and smart jerks.  And if you're a poor jerk, you'll probably be an even bigger jerk if you're rich.  Likewise, the nice people I know who've made it, have become nicer after getting rich.  I wouldn't read much into society at large with this guy, and if he's such a pleasure to be around, I don't know why you'd bother wasting your time with him.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments