Conspiracy and Defamation

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
krogoth's picture
krogoth
Conspiracy and Defamation

I have a simple question for all that have spoken here. Would not the government go after people spreading such defamation about it's inner workings with multiple lawsuits? I mean, people are profiting from selling movies or books that some have said here to be partially or completely false. Michael Moore has made over 100 MILLION over making Bush and his cabinet look like a complete idiots. Why no lawsuits against him? If they hold no weight, or are conspiracy theories as many say, then where are all the lawsuits? If the government will arrest and imprison you for not paying your taxes, why would they not go after people spreading all these lies about the government?

defamation (also called calumny, libel, slander, and vilification) is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image.

Seems to me that if all these subjects about who's getting paid, who's benefiting, who owns what or whatever, that the groups on the inside don't want much attention drawn to them.

lundsta's picture
lundsta
Re: Conspiracy and Defamation
I have also thought about this....I believe we do not see lawsuits for 2 reasons. 1) The american citzens could sue many members in government for blackmail, conspiracy, money laundering, fraud and lying amoung other things. We don't because of fear. True we feel an obligation to do the right thing and bring these issues to light. However, once we have a life that is worth protecting (our family, jobs, lifestyle) we let it go. We would not want to bring negative attention to ourselves. Deep down we know they have the power to destroy every aspect of our life. I believe this is the same for your question. The government would not want to start lawsuits  there would be to many to count. If you had individuals that feared nothing and had nothing to protect the government would have many lawsuits against them. 2)The government would not want to deal with the consequences if freedom of speech was ever questioned. I could not imagine the uproar that would cause in our country. We have to remember we still fund all of their campaigns :) Therefore we don't sue them and they don't sue us. It is a fear trap.
rlee's picture
rlee
Re: Conspiracy and Defamation

I'll answer this from a legal perspective:

The best affirmative defense to any slander, libel, or defamation suit is simply - the truth!  You can't sue somebody for telling the world that you're a thief if in fact you steal stuff!

To answer lundsta's issue regarding why the citizenry doesn't sue the electorate, that's even easier.  Because the law specifically protects all members of congress from ANY liability for ANYTHING they say there!  Besides, cars are mechanical things, and can be very prone to failure when they are driven to a courthouse for a lawsuit against the wrong person.  Remember, these are the guys who vote themselves a raise every year, and get a 100% pay and benefits pension after one term in office.

It really is good to be the King!

Bob 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments