"The Confusion"

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
"The Confusion"

In Neal Stephenson's three-book series "The Baroque Cycle" he weaves a multi-threaded tale -- IMO, an excellent yarn -- the ultimate subject of which is the long-ago creation of the modern banking system (circa the 18th C).  It's not every day that a writer of Mr. Stephenson's brain power writes an enjoyable several thousand pages worth of tale for those that actually might find such a story interesting (much as he did for cryptology in "The Cryptonomicon").  

I've been re-reading the middle volume lately (it's a three-book saga) and I happen to be in the portion labeled "The Juncto:  Book 5" and it involves a conversation between two of the main characters about how exactly does one get a monetary system off the ground.  In my edition (the 2004 William Morrow paperback) this chapter, entitled "Mrs. Bligh's Coffee-House, London [September, 1693]" begins on page 483.  I heartily recommend it -- the whole series in general but this chapter in particular as pertains to this post -- to any and all that find such a subject intriguing.  I think it's both instructive and hilarious, but then again I've always been that hard-to-fathom child at the edge of the classroom.  YMMV.

Viva Waterhouse!! -- Sager

goes211's picture
goes211
Re: "The Confusion"

I was unaware of that series.  I like Stephenson and will add it to my ever growing list.  Thx

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Confused by "The Confusion"

Sager,

Help!  I've missed the connection between the thread subject and your post.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: "The Confusion"

The subject of the post is merely the title of the book in question.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments