Community Database Established

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
JAG's picture
JAG
Community Database Established

Hi Everyone,

In response to Pete's Post-Crash Database thread, I established a community "cloud" database for the Forum. I would like to invite anyone interested to join this database. I'm using a free service called a dropbox to establish the database. You can learn more about this service at www.getdropbox.com and on my posts on Pete's thread.

To start things off, I uploaded an E-book archive with about 20 e-books on gardening, alternative energy, etc. I have begun to develop the database infrastructure (folder structure) as well. If you would like to join the database, please send me a private message with an email address, and I will send you an invite to get things started.

I'm very excited about this database and think it could develop into something very valuable to all. (Thanks Pete!)

Thanks.

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown
Re: Community Database Established

I just joined JAG's dropbox extravaganza, and it's pretty cool.  I think this is what we were looking for.  This took 5 minutes and I already have access to the shared folder JAG created.  He's already started filing stuff in it.

If I could figure out how to paste a screen-capture of what it looks like, I would, but for some reason it's not working.

JAG's picture
JAG
Re: Warning

Its important that all members of the community database understand the following:

A word of caution: Be sure to open all documents within the dropbox folder on your computer. If you move a document to your desktop, or somewhere else outside your dropbox folder, it will remove it from the database and therefore from everyone else’s dropbox on their computers. If you do this by accident or because you need to for some reason, be sure to put it back in your dropbox so we don’t lose it from the database.

Thanks.

JAG's picture
JAG

Also, it might be helpful to enter your CM.com screen name as your dropbox ID when you set up your account. This will make it easier for me to administrate the database. Thanks

Ken C's picture
Ken C

Jeff,

I just saw your comment on the other thread about not joining the Dropbox until you give the invite. I read this thread first and then went off and joined Dropbox before I read the other thread. Dang- I guess I was just too anxious.

Ken

JAG's picture
JAG
kenc wrote:

Jeff,

I just saw your comment on the other thread about not joining the Dropbox until you give the invite. I read this thread first and then went off and joined Dropbox before I read the other thread. Dang- I guess I was just too anxious.

Ken

No big deal Ken, it looks like I need to send a different type of invite for the account to receive additional memory credits. I'll look into a little more in the morning and advise accordingly.

Thanks for joining up.

jpitre's picture
jpitre

I signed up and it works like a charm, however be prepared for a GB or so download. In my case, being on Hughes satellite connect, they shut down my service after 500MB in 24 hours so have been quiet for a while. I will enjoy reading information posted and believe we are on track to establish a meaningful base of valuable information for us all

Jim

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments