common sense advice, please

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
common sense advice, please

With this article in mind  http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/US-Coal-to-Gasoline-Plant-Will-be-the-Largest-in-the-World.html  Is this really a possible /doable solution to any kind of shortage of energy ?  

I would like advice on whether to encourage some of my children to follow in their father, grandfather, great-grandfathers foots steps and work on the railroad .... that moves the coal .  Some of them are uncertain as to what to do  and you all remember we are not gifted in the areas as many as you .  So far this line of employment has served the family well enough to survive and not have to do without .

FM

TNdancer's picture
TNdancer
Re: common sense advice, please

I would encourage them IF they are so inclined.  But I'd also have them understand they need a backup occupation.  Diesel fuel is what runs trains, and while trains move tonnage way more efficiency than trucks, the day may come in their working career when diesel isn't available any more....hence, a backup is needed ( but that goes for almost ALL occupations IMHO )

ao's picture
ao

Since both Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have made large investments in railroads and rail transportation is far more efficient than truck transportation, my guess is that the prospects for employment in this field are positive.  But without talking to an industry insider who is at the top of the food chain, that's obviously pure speculation on my part.

I might contact a corporation like CH Robinson Worldwide, a leading global 3rd party logistics provider who deals in transportation leasing, and see if anyone there can give you some prospects as to the projected direction that rail transportation will take.  They should have a broader overview of the prospects than even a railroad company would. 

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Thank you ,   Rumors fly like crazy on the rail . Guess they have to have something to do on those long trips .  Lots of Jobs suck  I can not even let my children dream of what they would like to do to make a living at this point .    It must be something i figure will be as  secure as possible in an uncertain  time .

FM

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

Rail transport will be the very last of them all to go away, and may never if we reinvigorate steam locomotives.

Across land, it is the hands down winner in terms of energy consumed per ton-mile.  Therefore we will use it more, not less, going forward.  

Unless we're really dumb as a nation, which cannot be ruled out, so it is not a 100% slam-dunk, but I can't think of a better bet to make at this point if one were to get involved with hauling freight.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Thank You Dr. CM ,       And yeah  My husband keeps getting the bonus money( fuel card ) for being   the engineer that gets the bests fuel mileage .   I have to give him pats on the back for doing his part , right .  Wives need to do this more often .    He is so careful  to do his job well and protect everyone  whether carrying hazardous waste or blasting his horn and yelling at kids playing on the tracts .    It is not a fun or easy job and I am so thankful he does it for our family .    

FM.

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop

Full Moon, Anyone with a skill or any kind of family history in a trade that can't be outsourced is well ahead of the game. Many here probably envy your family background and network. Your kids should be just fine. Just out of curiosity, how would one best get a job working on a rail road. Give us the inside scoop, Girl! Smile

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

You go to UPRR.com and apply .     Rail traffic is  down right now but projecting large growth soon .  Any kind of military background is a bonus when you go for the interview .  Plus they are way behind on the female quota .  If you are a female with enough muscle to throw a switch , do sit ups, and take the test ...you are in . 

Between the Rail and farmers I think this is why our area has low unemployment .

FM,

Ps. pay is the same everywhere so it is beneficial to get on in a cheaper area .   Well places like Steamboat Springs  CO.  has its own perks .

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

My stock in CSX has been doing very well, and I plan to apply to work there in my capacity as a safety manager with about 6 years expereice in rail transport work. So that's a personal vote of confidence in railroads: I'm literally putting my money where my mouth is.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Safewrite , do it ASAP  ..  low dog always gets laid off first when things slow down .  If they get the coal gasification plants going the  rail traffic will pick up more .   Must be  picking up some now because the turns are spinning faster  which I do not understand .  Hauling  quite a few wind generators  . I actually saw a few  auto racks The fall weather has been wonderful and people should not be using as much electricity .  But coal , coal ,coal  is moving .     Wyoming would be even more secure   than here in the coal and moving coal industry.

I do not understand a lot of things  but  I am sure that our area is hanging on  because our roots are in the Agricultural and Rail traffic here .   Also KOCH Co.  has their money backing the  Mine .   SO if this is not a write off for them  they see we are sitting on the biggest and best quality gypsum.  If we are to follow the money back to TPTB  this is why I am having a challenge with my neighbors not feeling a sense of urgency because not much has changed ..... we are all in the blue collar labor force here still hanging on .

FM

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
safewrite wrote:

My stock in CSX has been doing very well, and I plan to apply to work there in my capacity as a safety manager with about 6 years expereice in rail transport work. So that's a personal vote of confidence in railroads: I'm literally putting my money where my mouth is.

Rail represents the future. Warren Buffet is heavily invested in rail. Good for you...I think I'll take a second look at Canadian railways very soon. Smile

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments