Commercial Hemp Production

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
down2earth's picture
down2earth
Commercial Hemp Production

I wonder what benefit relaxation of laws against the cultivation of hemp would be to assist a transition resulting from resource depletion. I want to emphasise this is a post about industrial hemp and not canabis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

Hemp is a plant that was once grew extensively throughout the temperate zones of the planet and which helped support the growth of civilisation through it's versatility. It's supporter's make some claims on it's economic value that to me sound somewhat outlandish but reading through the wikipedia entry there seems some truth behind them. I confess, I know little of it's comparitive attributes except for the obvious cheeky little effect some strains can have on the conscious state, which seems the only justification for it's very strict control.

Historically, especially in the U.S, hemp cultivation has helped support it's population through hardship and I've read that in some countries, notably Australia, has helped it's population survive mass starvation.

My suggestion would be that in a scenario of resource depletion, or in the very least high commodity price inflation, this plant may actually be one of the more useful plants to cultivate to support local communities but as I have already confessed, I know little of the truths behind it's uses.

I intend to do some further research ( dry.gif) but wondered if any posters here can supply any pointers to a balanced opinion on the plant ?

I do also hope that some posters don't find the subject too much of a taboo and apologise in advance.

JAG's picture
JAG
Re: Commercial Human Production

The question is not really what we can use hemp for, but more accurately, what can hemp use us for?

As Michael Pollan pointed out so eloquently in Botany of Desire, the hemp plant as a species, is remarkably intelligent (if I dare to describe a plant as intelligent). Any plant (or its cousin) that can change human consciousness AND serve as a useful resource in daily life, is "wearing the pants" in the inter-species relationship.

Can hemp be a commercially viable crop? History emphatically says yes!

Can humans be a viable crop for hemp? Evolution emphatically says yes!

SteveW's picture
SteveW
Re: Commercial Hemp Production

Industrial hemp has been grown in Canada since 1998. It's rather an orphan crop since the manufacturing infrastructure is limited.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/econ9631

http://www.hemptrade.ca/index.php?lang=en

down2earth's picture
down2earth
Re: Commercial Human Production
JAG wrote:

The question is not really what we can use hemp for, but more accurately, what can hemp use us for?

As Michael Pollan pointed out so eloquently in Botany of Desire, the hemp plant as a species, is remarkably intelligent (if I dare to describe a plant as intelligent). Any plant (or its cousin) that can change human consciousness AND serve as a useful resource in daily life, is "wearing the pants" in the inter-species relationship.

Can hemp be a commercially viable crop? History emphatically says yes!

Can humans be a viable crop for hemp? Evolution emphatically says yes!

I am familiar with this suggestion after watching the Michael Pollan's presentation at Ted though personally prefer to view the concept as intelligent cooperation and would support intelligent use of resources. I'm fairly 'green' when it comes to concepts of permaculture and hope to learn more via this forum and posters' links.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/michael_pollan_gives_a_plant_s_eye_vie...

The interest I have in Hemp Production is not as a black market narcotic but it's benefits in comparison to it's competitiors in a situation of adversity (economic or oil shortage scenario) because of it's claimed diversity of uses. The problem I've had so far in trying to discover more have been that I've become a little fatigued by arguments for the legalisation of marajuana when trying to make an honest appraisal.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments