Coming to a Theatre Near You! ERAZE

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Headless's picture
Headless
Coming to a Theatre Near You! ERAZE

ERAZE

I just posted the description found below to the New York Times under the same pseudonym I use here (I used to post to the Times under my real name; those who fell into the Heroes conflagration on screennames vs. real names know why I don't any longer). Anyway, I for one, am looking forward to this movie being made.

My post to the NYT article, Who Wants to Kick a Millionaire (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/opinion/21rich.html),  which may or may not go live; it depends on how many are in the queue. I was inspired to make the post due to the nature of the posts (500 of 'em): almost every one expressed anger and a desire for...something that sets things straight.

"A friend of mine just (last night) sent me a screenplay that he is proofing. You (most) will love this:

The protagonist: an activist organization that calls itself ERAZE (Eradicators of the Rich, Advocates of Social Equity).

Set 2010, it's about a group of unemployed computer programmers who go on a rogue operation, "erazing" the wealth of every billionaire world-wide by erasing all traces of the corresponding electronic documentation (burning all the 1's and 0's). The catch, and the thing that, to me, makes it a great candidate for a thriller (movie), is that they do this one person at time, with graded steps, until the person they are targeting can't even rent a car (reminds of that Michael Douglas movie of which I can't recall the name).

The first target is a "Goldman Sacks" executive. After a frustrating day during which everything having anything to do with money or credit goes wrong (can't even get cash from an ATM), he is walking home through downtown Manhattan, cussing the sky and rudely pushing people out of the way, when they assassinate him (I won't--and can't--say how; you would never expect it).

Of course this makes the news; the group exposes itself and explains its motive, its demands, and its "Business Plan": the "donation" of 99% of all wealth possessed by the remaining (as in, not dead yet) billionaires to an organization called Scribe (haven't read far enough to know what that means yet, and didn't ask), which will redistribute the "recovered stolen resources as they deem appropriate"; this comes as a surprise to the folks over at SCRIBE, whose little, two-room office is stormed, and whose lives are immediately scrutinized by every agency with multiple letters representing it...

That's all I've been given permission to reveal. I hope it makes the cut. Imagine Fortune Magazine's Richest 500 all having less than a billion..."

The writer is a friend (close) of mine as well; though she hadn't mentioned to me she was writing the story (until after I called her to tell her about the "most incredibly timely story I've--", at which point she fessed up to being the author. Thus, I said,  "Yes! Kill them all!"--in the story."  She said my "incessant rage toward Wall Street and...venemous hatred of everything Goldman Sachs had inspired" her to write it, and that I "should go shake the present" she "put under the Christmas tree Friday night." She considered naming the first victim Henry Paulson, as a personal favor to me, but she came up with something that is actually more appropriate--and less risky, believe it or not.  She started two weeks ago. It's finished. I now own the second copy of the first Hammermill (cheap copy paper) edition. 

She OK'd the posting to the NYT--and here, by extension (All rights reserved, copyright submitted)

If by no other means, then vicariously...

Merry Christmas!

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Re: Coming to a Theatre Near You! ERAZE

what a great movie

rlee's picture
rlee

Damn!  This sounds like the kind of a film you go see BEFORE it comes out on DVD!

Seriously though, it may find itself a very difficult film to produce given that the films targets are the very soles who control the media - and thus the film industry.  I do wish the writer the best of luck in the endeavor, but in the event the screenplay gets squashed, is there any contingency in place for a book version?  Remember that a studio that wants this film to disappear will buy all of the rights to everything, then shelve it - so don't give away the copyrights to the whole project.

Headless's picture
Headless

No plans for a book ("Shi* sticks to novels," says the mother of the newborn). It was more done on a whim, as a Christmas present--and qualude-- for me, and she doesn't need the money. Movie's a different story because she hasn't had any of her books made into movies--yet; thus, the screenplay...

Read up to the SCRIBE acronym; if this makes it to "a theatre near you," the (unjustly) rich are going to cower in their mansions...

Yes! It's a Merry, Merry Christmas!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments