Color photos America 1939-43

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Doug's picture
Doug
Color photos America 1939-43

This is a Library of Congress collection of color photos that is absolutely stunning.  They depict a pivotal era in US history that, for me, is heart breaking.  Taken just a few years before I was born, they seem at once familiar and yet depicting an America that largely disappeared by the time I reached adulthood.  The people in the pics are the "Greatest Generation" in their prime.

http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.asp

Doug

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Re: Color photos America 1939-43

Really stunning pictures!  I haven't seen many color photo's of that era, so this is a real treat!  Very cool!

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Doug ,

Beautiful pictures !    I was amazed at how much some things had changed so much and others not at all .

FM

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Picture really is worth a thousand words.

Didn't see too many obese lazy people with brand name T-shirts in those pics.

taco's picture
taco

Interesting pics. Funny to notice how the pics of the northeast USA don't look any different than today (save for the different clothing in photos with people in them). The buildings in the photos are the same buildings that are still here -- and still in use -- today. Even though these >100 year old buildings are slowly falling apart, they still hold up better than most buildings constructed after 1979.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Taco ,  

Our buildings here too .  Someone thought we had to have a new courthouse ... it has been worked on several times already and stands next to the old beautiful pre -1900 one   that is used as a museum .   Many people are keeping up our old buildings . Even the old movie theater is being totally restored .  They are restoring the brick streets and  one day a year everyone brings their old vehicles down to main street and have a car show .  We should make a Drive IN  Picture show  You can bet we would never get people to dress up in their suits and put on so many clothes as are in these pictures .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments