Collapsenet Going Viral?

167 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Collapsenet Going Viral?

http://collapsenet.com/

 

Wow. I joined this morning and there were 165 members of the network ($10 a month). Now there's nearly 500 and that's a mere 6 hours later. 

Check it out. Watch the google map on the site from time to time. You'll see more "lifeboats" pop up as the day goes on. 

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

7 more people joined in the 15 minutes since I started this thread. This is impressive if it lasts. 

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 22 2009
Posts: 192
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

Ya, it is great to see it take off!  

I was a  beta tester - it is impressive to see the work that goes on behind the scenes. 

There is a ways to go to be fully functional but it's off to a great start.  

 

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

Moose. Almost a 100 new people joined since I started this thread. It's at 562 now, I posted at 470. If you click refresh from time to time you'll see the number increase. What's really cool is the interactive map of other collapsenet members. 

Nacci's picture
Nacci
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 22 2009
Posts: 194
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

Morpheus, I am on the fence about joining.  I believe in addition to the benefits of knowing who and where the potential "Lifeboats" are in your area there are liabilities involved in exposing both your location and possible preparations.  Your thoughts.  Nacci.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?
Nacci wrote:

Morpheus, I am on the fence about joining.  I believe in addition to the benefits of knowing who and where the potential "Lifeboats" are in your area there are liabilities involved in exposing both your location and possible preparations.  Your thoughts.  Nacci.

Personally. I think that you get everything that you need right here. More so in fact. The point of this thread wasn't to intro the site, but rather to point out that there are so MANY more people that are awake than we might otherwise think. 

I welcome more sites like it. Right now though, you won't get anything there that you won't find here. 

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 28 2008
Posts: 1636
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

Morpheus,

Thank you for the head up, I've been waiting for the launch of Collapse.net over this past month ...

A CM.com member recently posted this link to a lecture by Mike Ruppert from May 13th this year. I urge all who follow this thread to watch it IMHO. It is moving and disturbing by turns. Importantly, it is actionable ...

My Best,

~ VF ~

 

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: May 28 2009
Posts: 864
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

Thanks for that Morpheus. I kind of like Ruppert. He's a bit out there, but I think he has a lot to contribute! I look forward to following the site.

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 5 2008
Posts: 1234
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

@VanityFox

Interesting how we see things so differently. I too strongly encourage anyone considering joining collapsenet to watch that video first. But in my case, it's for a completely different reason... I assume that any level headed person viewing the video would recognize Michael Ruppert for the obnoxious, pompous, self-important buffoon he truly is, and know better than to get involved with any organization he creates. Right idea, wrong guy.

Just my ever-humble opinion... Oh, and by the way, I'm right about everything 81% of the time. I don't have any credible data whatsoever to back up that assertion, but maybe if I say it over and over again every 10 seconds or so, people will be dumb enough to believe it. Seems to work for Ruppert... Did I mention I'm right 81% of the time?

Erik

 

V's picture
V
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 14 2009
Posts: 849
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

I am happy Mike finally got this up and running. He is such a good man with a huge heart. This is one more thing to make people aware and get involved in actions . Go Collapsenet.

V

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 7 2008
Posts: 488
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

Once again I’m underwhelmed by Mike Ruppert.

I know the man supposedly has no money, but the site looks amateurish. And, please, no mention of zombies on your homepage. I agree with you, Morph, that nothing can be found there that can’t be found at CM.com in spades.

The predecessor to his new website, the film Collapse, though apparently impressive to many -- including, most notably, iconic film critic Roger Ebert -- I found to be a rather lame rehashing of well-trodden ground and boring to the point of unfinishable.

And, no, I don’t buy the defense that it’s intended for the “mainstream” or “lay person.” If that’s the case then it’s even more of a disappointment as I can’t imagine many people coming away from the documentary not more or less agreeing with Erik’s take of Ruppert as obnoxious, pompous, and self-important. Not to mention the fact that he says that it’s too late for anything to be done preparation wise, including even at the personal level.

In many ways -- and I think someone here may have already expressed a similar sentiment on another thread -- I find him to be the anti-Chris Martenson. While I basically agree with Ruppert’s most fundamental and distilled message, including the concept of lifeboat communities, I most definitely do not want this man as my ambassador to the uninitiated of the world regarding the subject at hand.

Also, to pre-empt any potential pro/anti-Ruppert exchanges, I don’t dislike him -- insofar as I can even say that never having met him -- or think that he shouldn’t be doing what he’s doing. In fact, I wish his site viral success. I just think his approach stinks. And, of course, pompous buffoons can have big hearts and be well-intentioned.

Lastly, you’ve got a good point there, Nacci. Have to give it some more thought.

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 24 2008
Posts: 2040
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

...obnoxious, pompous, self-important buffoon he truly is...

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Why belittle a man whose trying to help society? I don't see your name behind any books or movies. 

Pretty sad.

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 24 2008
Posts: 2040
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

mainecooncat said:

I just think his approach stinks. And, of course, pompous buffoons can have big hearts and be well-intentioned.

Please elaborate on your understanding of his approach. I'm curious. I'm really neither pro/anti CM nor the same for Ruppert. I go where the information is and how valid I perceive it to be. I have not seen any type of derogatory words used by anyone in the Ruppert camp directed this way, so it seems kind of odd having it coming from the CM site. Childish behavior really. I guess that's what kids do when [Ed. note: Careful . . . ] they feel threatened by someone they perceive as competition.

I'm sure this thread will be locked shut before too long. No sense in wasting anymore time on a pissing match.

bluestone's picture
bluestone
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 29 2008
Posts: 263
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

I think the differences between Mike Ruppert and CM are this:  CM is steadfast, unemotional and objective.  Mike Ruppert, on the other hand is quite emotional and now that he's finally being recognized for his work, he is gloating some.  I think both of them are very bright men, are well meaning and have an ability to sift through the data and predict what future trends will be.  

yes, I think it would be best if Ruppert would remain unemotional when he gives a presentation.  Having said that I do find his talks to be quite insightfull and informative.  I recommend watching some of his old youtube videos and you'll find he really knows what he's talking about.  He's been a peak oil/debt crisis harbinger for quite some time.

Brian 

Amanda V's picture
Amanda V
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 31 2008
Posts: 262
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

Must say I am extremely disappointed.

I just joined this site - paid my $10 - after watching the 15 minute video about what you get.   I clicked on the lifeboat docks link to see who was in my area that I could connect with and all I get is a completely blank page.  Not even any map.  Or message to say there is nobody.  Just nothing.  (doesn't even show me).

Plus - it takes forever to load the pages.  It could just be my computer but no other site seems to do that.

Or maybe it is TPTB interfering .... (twilight zone music playing).  This maybe getting too "controversial" now. 

Would be very interested to hear how other users are finding it / found it.

I was really looking forward to using this site to find like minded people - but alas it seems not to work well.  Atleast at the moment.

I am very disgruntled after all the hype of his video clips.

PS 660 members when I joined.  (Hope I don't end up being number 666!)

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?
Amanda V wrote:

Must say I am extremely disappointed.

I just joined this site - paid my $10 - after watching the 15 minute video about what you get.   I clicked on the lifeboat docks link to see who was in my area that I could connect with and all I get is a completely blank page.  Not even any map.  Or message to say there is nobody.  Just nothing.  (doesn't even show me).

Plus - it takes forever to load the pages.  It could just be my computer but no other site seems to do that.

Or maybe it is TPTB interfering .... (twilight zone music playing).  This maybe getting too "controversial" now. 

Would be very interested to hear how other users are finding it / found it.

I was really looking forward to using this site to find like minded people - but alas it seems not to work well.  Atleast at the moment.

I am very disgruntled after all the hype of his video clips.

PS 660 members when I joined.  (Hope I don't end up being number 666!)

I'm extremely disappointed also, I did the "what the heck, I'll try ten bucks" thing to gain access to the interactive map that shows people in my area. (I want to start a meetup group and figured this would be a cheap way to tell what interest there is).

The site also has an impending calamity aura to it that strikes me as way too "the sky is falling". Ruppert, who is 1% less accurate that Erik, seems to be pushing a fear mongering scheme more than a public service. 

The map may or may not be worth the 10 bucks. We'll see how this grows. 

Still, at almost 670 members in a little over 24 hours, I am surprised at how much I underestimated the awareness that "something is really really wrong, far worse than the MSM is admitting" is out there. The entire point of this thread actually. 

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 18 2009
Posts: 1444
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

Man, people are harsh.  I see what Erik is saying about MR in that he comes across as a pompous ass and a know it all.  But being as my life has revolved around reading people, I see a man that feels he's being vindicated in some manner.  I see a man who has been laughed at, shot at, his life taken away from him, etc...finally getting what he perceives as his due.  

What I'm seeing from some on this site is similar...."What I say and think is much more important than what you or anyone else seems to say or think".  Again, it comes down to what I call the 'Spoiled Child Syndrome'...."I'm right your wrong, no matter whether I'm right or wrong!"

IMO, if you don't want to pay to see what happens, then don't pay.  If you have an issue with his site or the way he comes across, don't pay.  But also, don't chastise the people that have decided that it may be in their best interest to join.  It's their life and their choice, not yours.

As for the site itself, I'm reserving my thoughts and am going to give it some time to develop.  Personally, I understand that it was done by people that gave their time for free, and that it may not be perfect for some time.  But I'm glad that it's up and running and that I'll have the opportunity to either watch it grow or watch it go away.  If it works, it works.  If not, so be it.

Best as always. 

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 14 2009
Posts: 227
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

I like the idea of the lifeboat map.  this is what I origianlly wanted when I came to CM site.  Last year when we started prepping, all I could think about was how I wanted to find other people like us.  Now I'm a little bit more protective about what we have. 

But maybe this is away to find other preppers in an emergency, that's always in the back of my mind if we have to leave.  My Husband thinks that Survivalblog.com offers the exact same thing and is still free.  I'm going to watch it grow and wait and see...

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 28 2008
Posts: 1636
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?
Erik T. wrote:

@VanityFox

Interesting how we see things so differently. I too strongly encourage anyone considering joining collapsenet to watch that video first. But in my case, it's for a completely different reason... I assume that any level headed person viewing the video would recognize Michael Ruppert for the obnoxious, pompous, self-important buffoon he truly is, and know better than to get involved with any organization he creates. Right idea, wrong guy.

Just my ever-humble opinion... Oh, and by the way, I'm right about everything 81% of the time. I don't have any credible data whatsoever to back up that assertion, but maybe if I say it over and over again every 10 seconds or so, people will be dumb enough to believe it. Seems to work for Ruppert... Did I mention I'm right 81% of the time?

Erik

Hello Erik,

There is, I fear, probably more momentum expected at Collapse.net over the next 2 months, by association of membership numbers, than the 31,000 registered members, and the probable 300,000 unregistered lurkers, that have been brought together over the last 2 years of hard work by Dr Martenson here. I believe that time will indeed tell, as to whether the quality of that membership number will be of a similar standard, as that set by CM.com, and of those 1.5 million viewing's of his Crash Course series to date.

As ever, the timing of this website by Mike Ruppert, just as quantitative easing is on route for its second phase in the global debacle, and your recent excellent article on Peak Oil hold sway, the ever stronger proof to the caliber of the future is surely, and by the dint of this future reality, should  we say that certain people are somewhat owed their 15 minutes in the sun?

If the image of the future has to be built on public relations, then much of the hard work that has been achieved at CM.com, may, in truth, hold itself back by cause of the almost benign and politically/religious bipartisan nature of Chris Martenson himself. In many respects, as a cancer is viral, then should we then say that Collapse.net, by its creator therefore, is malignant? By quality or quantity, and by comparison, does Ruppert cause more harm to the Martenson movement - or does Ruppert build better awareness to the value of the Martenson movement - or, do each, by turn, fight court from opposite corner's of the rich pickings of awareness, perpetuating not just the value compiled within each, but the necessary message within each?

I have no more faith in altruism. Selfishness, however, is a perpetuator, and I thank Ayn Rand for clarification. There is, in both camps, an important point that should be brought forth, and that, simply, and undeniably, can be found in the underlying monologue that runs perpetually under the surface of every post, in every quadrant of this, and every other website with a similar message. The words, as mantra are -  "What is in it for me - What is in it for me - What is in it for me ... ". 

IMHO - In truth, from reading and watching Chris Martenson for almost 2 years, I am humbled by his apparent sacrifice. The journey taken by Ruppert and Martenson are quite different by expression of passion, yet, with an ever shrinking time-limit, there messages are similar. It is the momentum behind the message that is different, as is the candor, but the humility appears much the same ...

Failing all of the above, human nature, at its finest, laid bare, with the consensus born in the majority : -

Derek Sivers makes further clarity still ...

[quote=]

The Mirror, it's about you, not them

If you see a gorgeous painting that fascinates you, does it matter if you find out the artist hasn't paid her taxes? Would you stop enjoying the painting?

If someone shows you a great way to memorize names, does it matter if you find out that person is an alcoholic? Would you no longer trust their memorization techniques?

From 1967 to 1976, James Brown made the best funk music ever heard. (You owe it to yourself to get In the Jungle Groove if you haven't.) He was my biggest musical influence. I'm such a huge fan, I named my band after him. But when working at Warner/Chappell Music in the early 90s, they told me he was coming to the office, I went home early to avoid meeting him. I didn't want the complete flawed man to taint that flawless music that changed my life.

When I bought the book “Getting Things Done”, it had the author's picture on it, so I ripped the cover off. I don't care who David Allen is. This book is about me getting things done, not him and his stupid face.

Maybe both seem silly, but it was important to me to always remember that what matters is what I get out of their work, not the person that made it.

After I interviewed Tim Ferriss, some people said, “But he comes across too cocky.”

After I interviewed Amber Rubarth, some people said, “But she's only successful because she's so pretty.”

After I interviewed Tom Williams, some people said, “But there's some controversy about his new company.”

I hear that as, “Now that I've proven they're not perfect, I don't have to apply any of the lessons from their story.

But that's missing the point that those articles are really about you, not them.

You would benefit from micro-testing the effectiveness of your actions, or interning to understand your gatekeeper, or persisting every day for a year and a half, no matter who was sharing those lessons.

All that really matters is what you do with the ideas there. Apply them to your own life in your own way.

It was never about them. It's about you.

~ VF ~

With a big thank you to EricG for the heads-up to the film, and, as always, a big thank you to TED: Ideas Worth Spreading, for the revenue they got from advertising IBM and Repsol. Luckily, a friend was here to administer the Heimlich Maneuver, after I inadvertently inhaled my own tongue ...

rickets's picture
rickets
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 8 2009
Posts: 238
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

I see both sides to this Collapsenet/Ruppert analysis.  If his information is great, perhaps its unwise to judge him on presentation/how he comes across.

However, in this specific situation, isnt character everything?  If we are as close to collapse as Ruppert suggests, do you want to follow his lead if he is emotionally overcharged, overconfident/pompass...etc?  I dont know if he is or isnt any of these things, but the videos I have seen of him make me think I dont want to hang out with him.  His Zombie comments make me think he is the last guy in the world I want to hang out with if TSHTF.  I want level heads....good information....low drama.....low arrogance around me if the collapse happens.

So, dont judge the book by his cover...agree.  But, in extreme stress (war/collapse/emergency/etc) I would say calm heads and character mean more than anything.

My two cents.  Oh, and while the site says your specific information/location will not be disclosed unless you authorize it you should know its likely the people running the site know exactly where you are. 

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 27 2008
Posts: 1200
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?
rickets wrote:

I see both sides to this Collapsenet/Ruppert analysis.  If his information is great, perhaps its unwise to judge him on presentation/how he comes across.

However, in this specific situation, isnt character everything?  If we are as close to collapse as Ruppert suggests, do you want to follow his lead if he is emotionally overcharged, overconfident/pompass...etc?  I dont know if he is or isnt any of these things, but the videos I have seen of him make me think I dont want to hang out with him.  His Zombie comments make me think he is the last guy in the world I want to hang out with if TSHTF.  I want level heads....good information....low drama.....low arrogance around me if the collapse happens.

So, dont judge the book by his cover...agree.  But, in extreme stress (war/collapse/emergency/etc) I would say calm heads and character mean more than anything.

My two cents.  Oh, and while the site says your specific information/location will not be disclosed unless you authorize it you should know its likely the people running the site know exactly where you are. 

This is a very good post. So, I take it that you too were a little put off by the "sky is falling" feel of the site? 

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 5 2008
Posts: 1234
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

Hi VF,

Thanks for your comments. For the record, like Morpheus said earlier, I wish Ruppert the best. In my opinion, this guy is a self-absorbed loser. But hey, Brittney Spears had a following of something like half of America on a similar platform. Whatever works.

In my opinion, the "grown ups" will follow leadership of people like CM, not MR. But we need a lot more than just the grown-ups. We need the masses. If this offensively pompous, self-important loser jerk and pathetic excuse for a human being Mike Ruppert can somehow shape his own narcissism into a format that brings more people to awareness of the real problems, I'm all for it. Or at least I am 80% of the time, anyway! And yes, I'm holding back in terms of saying what I really think of the guy, but hey, we do have posting guidelines to abide by here... :-)

I found the video you chose to include rather ironic. The whole message of the video is "make it about the movement, and treat your first followers as equals. Never make it about yourself; make it about the movement." That's good advice Ruppert would do well to heed.

FWIW, I think the ideal is actually somewhere pretty close to the middle of the two extremes represented by CM and MR. MR is just an idiot and that's obvious to most mature people [Ed. note: That crosses the line a bit Erik.  Please refrain from insulting other members.]. But his zeal and passion will appeal to the less educated crowd. [Ed. note: This is also an insult.] CM goes too far to be "unemotional and stable" in my opinion. You need to get people excited and ready to act. CM is so obsessed with being academically defensible in his arguments that he is unwilling to resort to tactics of influence. Definitely laudable in a perfect world, but in the real world sometimes you have to not only have the right idea, but be ready to sell your idea. That said, given the choice between two extremes I'll continue to support CM and leave MR to entertain the people who respond more favorably to his style.

Best,

Erik

Lemonyellowschwin's picture
Lemonyellowschwin
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 22 2008
Posts: 561
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

Erik,

First of all, CM is not "unemotional" even in his writings, but I think he tries to elevate reason over emotion, which is good.  This lends him a huge element of credibility that is sorely lacking among many.

mooselick7's picture
mooselick7
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 22 2009
Posts: 192
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?
LogansRun wrote:

Man, people are harsh.  I see what Erik is saying about MR in that he comes across as a pompous ass and a know it all.  But being as my life has revolved around reading people, I see a man that feels he's being vindicated in some manner.  I see a man who has been laughed at, shot at, his life taken away from him, etc...finally getting what he perceives as his due.  

What I'm seeing from some on this site is similar...."What I say and think is much more important than what you or anyone else seems to say or think".  Again, it comes down to what I call the 'Spoiled Child Syndrome'...."I'm right your wrong, no matter whether I'm right or wrong!"

IMO, if you don't want to pay to see what happens, then don't pay.  If you have an issue with his site or the way he comes across, don't pay.  But also, don't chastise the people that have decided that it may be in their best interest to join.  It's their life and their choice, not yours.

As for the site itself, I'm reserving my thoughts and am going to give it some time to develop.  Personally, I understand that it was done by people that gave their time for free, and that it may not be perfect for some time.  But I'm glad that it's up and running and that I'll have the opportunity to either watch it grow or watch it go away.  If it works, it works.  If not, so be it.

Best as always. 

Im with you, Dude, this is a harsh audience.

I have been following Mike Ruppert's "From The Wilderness" Blog, read all his books and watched his movies.  I was a beta tester for his site.   I subscribe to only two sites:  CM and Collapsenet.   I agree with most of the views of both sites and disagree with some views.

My work life is saturated in the enviromental issues and the energy issues so I know that side pretty well. 

Where CM and it's members provide insight is my biggest blind spot - the Economy.  However, another blindspot (that we on CM walk around) falls into the category of conspiracy.  I understand why CM keeps it in the contraversal topics forum and I respect that.   At the same time, CM reports and the discussions otten acknowledge questionable central bank, political and TPTB motives.  Following policy, CM folks do not offer theories or little information as to the motives and the domestic/geopolitical manipulations that are going on behind the scenes. 

Personally, I dont want to know what motives or what these organizations behind closed doors are up to.   This middle income guy in Wyoming just needs to know if his family is on their radar screen as collateral damage, what to do to protect them and how to prepare for the future.

This is where Mike fills the niche.  He is not afraid to research and provide analysis into these issues.  He has clearly seen the side of government that we dont want to know about.  He uses a logical approach when digging into what is unfolding ie motive, means, opportunity.   The lifeboat dock map is a cool idea but secondary to the insight he provides.  That in itself is well worth the $10/month.

Personality wise, I agree with ErikT.  Ruppert is an egotistical, obnoxious guy.   I dont want to hang out with the guy.  I dont care how it's delivered as long as it is a good product.   From a compassion standpoint, the paranoia, doom saying and constant state of awareness has taken it's toll on him.    From my perspective, that inflated ego is a fragile shell to protect himself from a gloomy view of reality.

As far as the disappointments with the site.  Give the guys a break here!  I got to work with it in the beginning.  It has come A LONG way.  It has a long way to go.  They did it with volunteers. And to get it to everyone's standards, it is going to take $$$$.   They are motivated not by $$$$ but by a vision.  As stated above, this vision isnt a priority for me but I respect their efforts. 

As far as, privacy and the scenerio where someone uses the map as a visitor's guide to looting.  Let's face it, everyone.  if you are on the net, complete privacy is a pipedream.   I worked as a Unix system administrator for awhile.  All the information they need flows right through the wires and is at their fingertips. One friend on this site was concerned that the map could be used by our government to identify militia groups or resources to confiscate. With access to high powered computers, server clusters, organized talent in programming and hacking, literally centuries of experience in decoding encrypted information,  there is absolutely nothing that is safe on the net or off.  That being said if you are worried about privacy, first dont put your REAL name on the map or your ACTUAL location.   Second, screen everyone first with email.  Get to know them.  If you get a sinking feeling about them, let the go away.  Third, regardless of whether you are on internet or not, have a defensive strategy.  My strategy is that what I have to loot is NOT worth the trouble of looting it.

IMHO Ruppert is a tortured guy who got sick of just sitting around stewing over doom in his retirement and decided enough is enough.  He decided to put himself out there - the good, the bad and the ugly.  He decided to help people in the process.  His view of the future is NOT mine.  But, he is working to make a better future.  For that, Ruppert and his site deserves a break. 

wildjo's picture
wildjo
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 27 2009
Posts: 44
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

While I am a  bit turned off by Ruppert's public speaking style and I'm not--having taken some time to review it--interested in joining his site, I think calling him a "loser/jerk"  and a "pathetic excuse for a human being" is way out of line.  Such an unqualified attack on someone is surely as pompous and pathetic.

In my opinion, Ruppert's effort to facilitate geographic awareness among the concerned is genuine.  I also admire is willingness to take a stand and give heart-felt advice during QandA sessions.   And the "sky is falling" feel is no more evident at his site than it is in many of the posts here.

I view his efforts as concrete and socially constructive.  It appears that some on here are simply interested in figuring out how to make a buck off of decline by figuring out the right short and futures positions.  In my opinion, that's the sort of short-sighted, selfish mentality that got us in these predicaments in the first place.  You add to that the sort of ego that allows someone to call someone else a pathetic excuse for a human being and its a potent mix of azzhole imo.

[Ed. note:  This comment is a violation of our posting guidelines.  Individuals who are public figures and not members of this site may be personally insulted to the user's content, provided that vulgarity is avoided.  However, personal insults about fellow posters must be avoided.  Among ourselves we must maintain a tone that is civil.  Negative characterizations of another poster's ego, their personal motivations, and especially name-calling, are not an acceptable form of discussion because they are a personal attack, and do not address the other person's ideas.  Please respect these boundaries when speaking to fellow site members.  This is a warning.]

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 28 2008
Posts: 1636
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?

Erik,

then I sense it to be a race to the very bottom of the gene pool then ... ?

As enabler catalists go, there are many different ways to skin a cat. As with rhetoric, I consider that consensus will determine the tipping point, and maybe a Narcisistic Personality Disorder (NPD) laid plain and with its head above the crowd getting its head blown off with its own gun could also be the sacrifice necessary in getting the message out? After all, I conclude that many an American President has such a supposed flawed personality disorder? Noted, with your exception, there are others that linger here with just such disorders ...

There are books and films aplenty by Ruppert. He has indeed "Done His Homework". For that, if I see the message I write here has equal value at Collapse.net, I'll write my thoughts there also, as and when the time comes. Nothing is inferred however, I allow my boots to stand in both camps, if camps must be ...

Simply put, the film Collapse has worked a great deal better in most respects with group meetings that I've established. However, starting in with the Crash Course was and still remains a difficult task. "Collapse" has allowed an opening for people to then watch the Crash Course series, so I've found both tools working in unison an advantage.

My respect for Chris Martenson runs deep, as I'm sure you are aware with my writing. I wouldn't have continued on here on many an occasion if it weren't for that calm, clear and precise mind that drives the forums along. However, I do wish at times that there were a something - yes, a something - a something that I cannot quite define - that was in place here that drew more of a larger cross section of the public. Maybe, as you'll note from where you write, what I'm saying is, maybe it is, as yet,  Lost In Translation ... 

Respectfully,

Paul

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Nov 12 2008
Posts: 259
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?
wildjo wrote:

While I am a  bit turned off by Ruppert's public speaking style and I'm not--having taken some time to review it--interested in joining his site, I think calling him a "loser/jerk"  and a "pathetic excuse for a human being" is way out of line.  Such an unqualified attack on someone is surely as pompous and pathetic.

In my opinion, Ruppert's effort to facilitate geographic awareness among the concerned is genuine.  I also admire is willingness to take a stand and give heart-felt advice during QandA sessions.   And the "sky is falling" feel is no more evident at his site than it is in many of the posts here.

I view his efforts as concrete and socially constructive.  It appears that some on here are simply interested in figuring out how to make a buck off of decline by figuring out the right short and futures positions.  In my opinion, that's the sort of short-sighted, selfish mentality that got us in these predicaments in the first place.  You add to that the sort of ego that allows someone to call someone else a pathetic excuse for a human being and its a potent mix of azzhole imo.

 

My sentiments exactly, wildjo. +1!

Wow Erik. You've got a real chip on your shoulder for this guy. What's the matter? Bad day on the stock market for ya?

 

M.E.'s picture
M.E.
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Jul 21 2009
Posts: 81
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?
Erik T. wrote:

But his zeal and passion will appeal to the less educated crowd. CM goes too far to be "unemotional and stable" in my opinion. You need to get people excited and ready to act. CM is so obsessed with being academically defensible in his arguments that he is unwilling to resort to tactics of influence. Definitely laudable in a perfect world, but in the real world sometimes you have to not only have the right idea, but be ready to sell your idea. 

The subject matter covered in the Crash Course causes such emotion when understood that to add individual emotion to that delivery would lessen the impact of the facts.   It would distract from the message.   When things really start to go awry, calm, fact-filled reporting and advice will have more impact.  CM is a classy, gracious guy.  To turn up the hype volume here would be a mistake.

Personally, I find that I am distracted by MR's emotion and agitation so much so that I couldn't finish his film.  Full screen close ups of highly emotional people are best left to professional actors and 10 second news bits.  But so what.   I did find his predictions at the talk in VT interesting and scary, and his public quest for a toke at the end of the evening funny.  Those small details about daily coping really bring it home for me (no, i don't smoke).   He has reached and will reach a lot of people and that is as good as it needs to be.  I like jazz and you like heavy metal - it's all music and can be distilled back to I ii IV V I.

Erik T., your punishment for being so snobby is that, in my mind, I've dressed you in a stained, white, wife beater t-shirt instead of that casual, but expensive, navy blue number you have on in your picture. 

tom.'s picture
tom.
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 345
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?
Vanityfox451 wrote:

  Lost In Translation ... 

Very nice diversion Paul .. My own Renaissance Di-Version

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Dec 28 2008
Posts: 1636
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?
tom. wrote:
Vanityfox451 wrote:

  Lost In Translation ... 

Very nice diversion Paul .. My own Renaissance Di-Version

Ahh Tom,

As ever, beautiful artwork, and such impeccable timing on your part too!!! So, what the hey, a little distraction from Mary Ellen' statement, with what I have to admit is more than a worthy truth ...

There are far too many Charlotte's wandering misunderstood in the world; much in that the World misunderstands Charlotte ...

As Ever,

Paul

Nacci's picture
Nacci
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 22 2009
Posts: 194
Re: Collapsenet Going Viral?
Erik T wrote:

. I wish Ruppert the best. In my opinion, this guy is a self-absorbed loser.  In my opinion, the "grown ups" will follow leadership of people like CM, not MR. But we need a lot more than just the grown-ups. We need the masses. If this offensively pompous, self-important loser jerk and pathetic excuse for a human being Mike Ruppert can somehow shape his own narcissism into a format that brings more people to awareness of the real problems, I'm all for it. FWIW, I think the ideal is actually somewhere pretty close to the middle of the two extremes represented by CM and MR. MR is just an idiot and that's obvious to most mature people. But his zeal and passion will appeal to the less educated crowd. 

Erik

I both like and respect Michael Ruppert.   Is this the type of insight we should expect from a Martenson Brigade Member?  It is both elitist and without class, an embarrassment.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments