Ready's picture
Ready
Collapse - A documentary film by Mike Ruppert
Lock Limit Down wrote:

Warning

Very Powerful

Not for the weak of heart

http://www.documentary-film.net/search/watch.php?&ref=275

I would like to try this again. The previous thread went madly in the wrong direction, and I think we all deserve an opportunity to do a better job this time of being a community of adults.

As a quick reminder, one of the reasons we had difficulty in the past is because of Ruppert's other works and the discussions that ensued about them, 9/11, etc. Since that is a topic that is outside the forum guidelines, I would ask that this discussion be contained to the movie Collapse. It is in fact a powerful movie, and folks who are new to the ideas on this site may very well find it quite valuable.

If you have not seen it, perhaps someone can find another copy on youtube or similar as the original has been yanked. If not, please PM me and I will do what I can to assist.

Let's not get this one sent to the place the last thread went!

Thanks,

R

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Re: Collapse - A documentary film by Mike Ruppert

Ready,

Thankyou ...

~ VF ~

goes211's picture
goes211

I really hope we can keep this thread on topic.  I think Collapse is a very powerful documentary and deserves a better discussion than what the previous thread turn into.

JAG's picture
JAG
A World Worth Inheriting- A documentary film by Chris Martenson

I would love to see a documentary interviewing Dr. M, with more emphasis on the data supporting such a scenario and less stock footage for dramatic effect. Dr. M has a unique ability to paint the picture without overemphasizing the emotional component of the predicament. I think such a presentation, if not more than an hour long, would be achieve a much higher degree of acceptance with the general population than anything Ruppert has done.

If I wasn't half a country away from Dr.M,  I might propose to do the documentary myself. But this kind of project would require too many trips for my budget.

Maybe it could be a collaborative effort? Does anyone have a Prosumer HD camera, lighting,  greenscreen, and live close to Dr. M? I could do the editing and post production.

ckessel's picture
ckessel
Re: A World Worth Inheriting- A documentary film by Chris ...
JAG wrote:

I would love to see a documentary interviewing Dr. M, with more emphasis on the data supporting such a scenario and less stock footage for dramatic effect. Dr. M has a unique ability to paint the picture without overemphasizing the emotional component of the predicament. I think such a presentation, if not more than an hour long, would be achieve a much higher degree of acceptance with the general population than anything Ruppert has done.

If I wasn't half a country away from Dr.M,  I might propose to do the documentary myself. But this kind of project would require too many trips for my budget.

Maybe it could be a collaborative effort? Does anyone have a Prosumer HD camera, lighting,  greenscreen, and live close to Dr. M? I could do the editing and post production.

Jeff,

I have a Panasonic DVX 100B with the three chip color resolution option but it is not a true HD camera. I would make it available for use in such a project if it were needed. Unfortunately I too am across the continent but the camera could be mailed to Dr. M.

Coop

Ready's picture
Ready

Coop, JAG, you guys rock!

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
JAG wrote:

I would love to see a documentary interviewing Dr. M, with more emphasis on the data supporting such a scenario and less stock footage for dramatic effect.

Sign me up for 5 copies...

Viva -- Sager

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

Yes, I think this is an excellent idea. There are so many independent people doing interviews and weekly shows and interviews for us to not have something like this. With the technologies available, there really is no excuse.

If Chris were amenable, I think it would be wise to utilize existing outlets (e.g. YouTube) to get this out. Certainly this website would appear in the description and it would direct people here for more info.

There are two routes we can take, each of them valuable.

#1 would be use a more professional setting and discuss the challenges today and the risks we face. We can weave in some of the obstacles and hurdles, not just technical, but also societal. The questions could help connect some specific concerns and issues with the Crash Course. While Chris can't direct people re: exactly what they should do, this would be key to at least help people identify the real issues, instead of just the politically expedient ones.

#2 I envision this one to be something along the lines of "The Power of Community" (about how Cuba survived an oil shortfall - highly recommended!). I would envision a more casual, less professional atmosphere with Chris perhaps walking around his town and his backyard, showing us the changes that are taking place and the power of working with others. The video would discuss the transition and Chris's personal story off awareness and transition. I think the "show" as opposed to simply "tell" aspects of this approach would be compelling and I think it would connect with people in a way the CC might not.

Chris (and many on this site) is a highly educated, logical person. But there are many that simply might be motivated to address these issues because "it's the right thing to do," or "it's a better lifestyle," etc. rather than a highly reasoned personal risk assessment.

SingleSpeak's picture
SingleSpeak

Put me down for 10 copies.

joemanc's picture
joemanc

This was excellent! I felt like I was watching the Crash Course at times. A bit scary, but, well worth your 90 minutes!

SteveW's picture
SteveW
JAG wrote:

I would love to see a documentary interviewing Dr. M, with more emphasis on the data supporting such a scenario and less stock footage for dramatic effect.

Excellent idea, although I doubt that Dr. M, would use the same simplicity to show how nitrogen could be applied to your garden patch if commercial urea fertillizer became unavailable.  EmbarassedWink

ckessel's picture
ckessel

IMHO Mike Rupperts message can be understood by those who have reached a level of acceptance with the predicament and perhaps not so much by those that are elsewhere on the Kubler-Ross scale.

Mike, I like the points you outlined and your comments bring to mind the need to script the "movie" so to speak. I think the power of the message will to a large extent be made much more real if we weave in interviews/comments/stories about real people and what they/we are doing. There is a tremendous cross section of people who are now in action after seeing the CC and those stories reinforce exactly why Chris created the CC to begin with.

Another point I would like to see somehow embodied in such a creation is the issue that those of us Boomers that "get it" need to provide back up cover fire for the younger generation inheriting this transition. There are many ways that can be done and perhaps it could be explored by example.

Any screenwriters in the CM community???  Sounds like Jeff can be editor I/C. 

We will definately need some slow motion shots of Roger in action on his midwest survival tactics too !!!!

Coop

V's picture
V

Excusmo por favor

I thought this was a thread devoted to Mike Rupperts Collapse

I think it has been hijacked. It was a nice try Ready. I guess I will just go to FTW.

V

Ready's picture
Ready

V,

Unfortunately I think a significant amount of the discussion on Collapse already happened. I see there were at least 2 more viewers of the film, so all is not lost. Even if folks are not commenting, I think the thread has value. There are lots of lurkers here, I know I read the threads for well over 6 months before contributing.

Maybe we could jump start the thread if you would re-present your thoughts on Collapse. Mine are this:

I watched the movie from start to finish. I found it intriguing, but in some places a bit over the top on the emotional side. I guess some people respond to that, me not so much. I didn't like at the end where the producer essentially dis-credited this and other works by showing he was essentially pennyless and his other works did not sell very well.

He also makes the statement that he does not have to defend his position. That doesn't seem to fit, because there are many who do not see the issue of peak oil, for example, as here. While Ruppert makes the point somethjing like - look around, everything I have been saying is true, not everyone would buy into that without some additional information. I think this is the power of the crash course, devil is in the details.

So, I find the movie valuable, but it didn't convince me of anything I didn't already know. I think someone new to these concepts may find it an incredible, eye opening watch if they tend to be higher on the emotion scale and lower on the logic scale. This movie will work for some, so it deserves to stay in the main forums permanently.

As far as Cm doing a similar movie, he has recently (in the paid forum I think) discussed that he had tried to put together a movie a year ago (from memory) and it didn't quite work out due to the time and funds required. This may not go anywhere, but if folks on the site are able to minimize the costs and time requirments, which seems to be a possibility, perhaps he will change his mind. This dicussion also has merit, however perhaps it should be in it's own thread.

R

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

[Ed. note: Removed at the request of poster.]

Ready's picture
Ready

Larry,

I don't want to pick on you, really.

But this is how it started the last time. Your post pertains to his book (rubicon) and other works, not Collapse.

If this thread goes there again, I am quite certain it will get yanked again. Let's not do it, OK?

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Sorry Ready... 

U.S./CIA drug sales are covered in Collapse and I think that was how Mike Ruppert gained prominence.   And the fact that Russia has been requesting that NATA stop the poppy crops I thought made it relevent again.

But no problems, I don't mean to be contentious.  I'll just pass on...

Larry

Note: I will ask the moderators to remove that post, so if you see it flagged, it was just me

jpitre's picture
jpitre

Ready

Well said -- I agree with all you say. The idea of a good quality video on the Crash Course and where we are going is a good one. I think Strabes may be an excellent person to help put it together. He seems to be moving on past the basics of the Crash Course and some sort of collaboration between Chris & Damon/Strabes could work well (IMHO) Still needs a professional level technical person to put the pieces together.

I would certainly contribute a few hundred $s to help

Jim

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

I agree with the CM video idea - people need to know that the clash between the finite world and infinite demand are going to drastically change our lives.

Larry

ckessel's picture
ckessel
V wrote:

Excusmo por favor

I thought this was a thread devoted to Mike Rupperts Collapse

I think it has been hijacked. It was a nice try Ready. I guess I will just go to FTW.

V

V,

I took the thread to refer to Collapse-A Documentary Film (by Mike Ruppert) or..............

The concept of a film which would address the issues of our predicament I consider to be very valid. The points mentioned in a critical analysis of M Rupperts film are appropriate and I agree with many of them. Beyond that it is MHO a film produced by Dr. M could have a much more powerful message that would reach a broader audience. IE ... we would necessarily distance ourselves from the contentious issues which attach to M. Ruppert due to his background and other publications.  Those issues are what they are but a fact based presentation that leans to the optimistic and beneficial side of preparation is a more inclusive message.

That said, whether it is discussed here or on a different thread is less the issue for me that the fact that my interest is in creating a product such as ( Preparation-A Documentary Film by Chris Martenson et al) rather than a drill down of M Ruppert.  If the location is different than this please "tell me where to go!"  (Pun intended)

BTW I found his message compelling and frightening at the same time. Kudo's to him for his efforts.

Coop

ron45's picture
ron45

I have written multiple emails to Fresh Air and Dianne Rheme suggesting CM and or CC  as a possible subject to examine. They discuss subjects regularly that present the same narrow view of how to address the important issues waiting in the wings. Are there others here who are contacting media people to help get the word spread around? Surely there must be.

Most of the people I inform about CC assume it is more internet gloom and doom or paranoid conspiracy stuff. There are people I can not get to view this material. Just yesterday, on Dianne Rheme, [ discussing the new off shore debacle ] in the presence of a guy from the Sierra club,  I think it was the woman from the petroleum institute who said "at the current rate of consumption we have blather blather blather" and no one batted an eye. It would take eight to 15 minutes of someone's time to understand the implicit lie of that statement if you could get them to look at the chapter on exponential growth and compounding. It is most frustrating. I know there must better minds than mine trying to help get this info out. I am on a small fixed income and can not donate money to Chris  but I can try to spread the word that the information is here. My wife and made the changes people here are still considering in 1983 when we moved off grid and built our passive/active solar adobe. 

Ron

V's picture
V

No Pun intended you can go to the thread I started for your particular interest.

V

plato1965's picture
plato1965

I think Ruppert (like Kunstler) is too pessimistic about the oil question... understandable.. I've veered into hyper pessimism myself at times...

There are at least three factors that will allow time for a true sustainable future to grow..

1) Gas/Coal to liquids.  One of the US Military's favoured options. using ye olde fischer-tropsch synthesis to make liquid fuels.

2) Biofuels. From cellulosic ethanol, to diesel producing e-coli and beyond.. those + solar/wind/tidal will be the long term answers.

3) Efficiency - High oil prices are the mother of invention and cutting waste..

Now can I *prove* that it will be possible to navigate the transition without some petromalthusian dieoff.. nope.. but to me it looks feasible with a bit of common sense (aka unobtanium), the right priorities and a bit of vision..

Will there be problems in the house of cards economy that was hoping the energy foundations would keep getting bigger.. sure.. a lot of dashed expectations and broken promises.

What strikes me is that we could do so much better.. there's so much waste, stupidity in the world as it is.. being forced to confront reality might be a great thing... so like Chris, I'm actually quite optimistic about the future..

.. now some music.. for those afflicted with peak oil (defcon 5) blues.. 

Appropriate one for Good Friday ...

V's picture
V

i think it is clear from what you can see of Mike in the video and the fact that ( if the producer is to be believed ) he has suffered financially that when one gets too close to the truth grave consequences await.

I am amazed at the fact he is even alive. The mans patriotism and sense of ethical behavior are all over his sleeve. I for one admire him and his courage. No one I know of has put more on the line than Mike Ruppert.

Hey Matrix you want to know where the outrage is just look at Mike Rupperts face. He is my first choice to share a foxhole with.

V

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
V wrote:

Hey Matrix you want to know where the outrage is just look at Mike Rupperts face. He is my first choice to share a foxhole with.

V

What....?  Are you mad...?  You'll get shot at for sure!    :-)

Mike

V's picture
V

Yes I am MAD

The bullet will be in the back

V

SteveW's picture
SteveW
ckessel wrote:

( Preparation-A Documentary Film by Chris Martenson et al)

Chris has already given us the title; it's A World Worth Inheriting. I also don't know how far Chris is prepared to go regarding solutions, but with for an upbeat message there should be some general solutions. Personally I'm in the debt money camp as a major source of our problems. Chris shows how that drives our exponential economy and thus is a root cause of our problems, so alternatives should be addressed.

I didn't get much new from Mike's film, considering that I already knew much of his background. As others suggest he has the appearance of a broken man which is really quite tragic, OTOH I guess that's better than dead.

wildjo's picture
wildjo
plato1965 wrote:

.. but to me it looks feasible with a bit of common sense (aka unobtanium), the right priorities and a bit of vision..

That is the essence of the pickle we are in.

etsan's picture
etsan

Thank You for posting this video again. I was searching all over to find it and now I can finally watch the entire film. Thanks.

JAG's picture
JAG

Why waste our time talking about Ruppert when this interview with Dr. M is the only thing worth discussing?

(h/t Plato)

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
JAG wrote:

Why waste our time talking about Ruppert when this interview with Dr. M is the only thing worth discussing?

(h/t Plato)

JAG,

I understand your frustration, but no matter how good Chris Martenson is at expressing the future to you, it is your own opinion that everyone in the World should understand his way best, when everyone in the World doesn't think and act in the way that you do. To get this message out, it needs to be driven home in many many ways ...

My Best To You,

~ VF ~

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments