Citations/ Sources list

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
RJD1892's picture
RJD1892
Citations/ Sources list

I thought I heard Chris mention at one point that he had a list of sources for his data, but I can’t seem to find it. Does anybody know where it is?

As you can imagine, when you’re telling people about this, it becomes a lot more authoritive when you have a list of sources.

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
Re: Citations/ Sources list

I can tell you about the sources Chris used in making the Crash Course.  As Chris is currently planning a book on the topic, he is unable to release his entire specific source set at this time. However, in general he uses only what most people would call “Grade-A’ sources for the data. Some examples of sources used:

• All monetary, bank reserve, and interest rate data comes from the St. Louis Fed.
  • All oil production and discovery data comes from the DOE (Tonto).
  • Housing bubble data comes from a variety of sources, including OFHEO, BLS, CENSUS, Robert Shiller, Robert Prechter (historical bubble examples).
  • Population data comes from the UN (future) and Wikipedia (historical).
  • All national debt figures come from the US Treasury Department.
  • Much of the data on household debt, credit market growth, etc, comes from the Federal Reserve Z.1 report (http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/z1/Current/z1.pdf).
  • To fill in a lot of the gaps and to simplify some of the data searching, Chris used economagic.com, and they use only “official” sources.
  • Inflation data comes from the BLS, except for the counter-argument data, which, as noted in the presentation, comes from John Williams at Shadowstats.
  • All of the demonstration graphs (e.g., ore body % and mine waste) were created by Chris in Excel. 

Chris deliberately confined his research to “official” data, believing that it would be most readily accepted by readers and viewers.

I hope this is helpful.
cipher's picture
cipher
Amanda wrote:

Chris deliberately confined his research to “official” data, believing that it would be most readily accepted by readers and viewers.

That's where the beauty of his work lies. It always inspires me.

Davos's picture
Davos
Amanda wrote:

As Chris is currently planning a book on the topic, 

The best news I read all year!

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Any word on how far along he is with it?

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman

Ed, all I can say about it is that it's in the mix with all of the other important things Chris is working on.  Wink  When there is more to say on that topic, you can be sure Chris will post something.

RJD1892's picture
RJD1892

The book is good news. Smile

Thanks for the reply, Amanda.

http://axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/Article_56805.shtml

This site echoes a little of what Chris says.

I'm currently trying to put the entire crash course onto a CD that can be played in DVD players, it will be much cheaper than the DVD option if it works.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments