Christmas shopping consumer trap

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
krogoth's picture
krogoth
Christmas shopping consumer trap

Christmas shopping consumer trap-

For those of you that have fallen for the complete distorion of consuming at this coming Christmas holiday season, or are forced to do so due to excessive child pressure, I suggest you wait until the last possible minute to buy, or even buy after. Why? Because I am in Taiwan, and prices are falling here on consumer goods like a rock. That will reflect on consumer goods in America right behind Taiwan, so save some money if you MUST purchase anything because we will see some amazing buys.

happy consuming!

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Re: Christmas shopping consumer trap

Forget shopping at the mall, buy the kids, family or friends some silver coins this year!

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt

Damn Joe, you beat me to it. I've been giving my grandkids two rolls of silver Eagles a year to split between them.

Maenad's picture
Maenad
krogoth wrote:

Christmas shopping consumer trap-

For those of you that have fallen for the complete distorion of consuming at this coming Christmas holiday season, or are forced to do so due to excessive child pressure, I suggest you wait until the last possible minute to buy, or even buy after. Why? Because I am in Taiwan, and prices are falling here on consumer goods like a rock. That will reflect on consumer goods in America right behind Taiwan, so save some money if you MUST purchase anything because we will see some amazing buys.

Thanks for the tip. I expect it will be similar here although the government is giving every familiy $1000 per child over Xmas so deflation may not be such an issue in Australia. We'll be getting an LPG fuelled ex-taxi from our neighbours with that money but I think the rest of the country will be paying credit card debts, mortgages and buying stupid plastic crap for their kids. We'll still have to buy stupid crap for my son but he's only 5 and doesn't have a lot of consumerist advertising exposure or spoilt friends to get competitive with yet, thank the gods. And the baby doesn't care of course.

IMHO Etsy.com is the place to go for locally and internationally handmade and environmentally conscious purchases for Christmas. Infact we should probably get a little "evangelical" and recruit them. Lots of the people selling environmentally friendly items there have already turned their backs on the madness of hyperconsumerism and are transitioning to more sustainable lifestyles. They could be be helpful to the scared and angry newbies in making the huge lifestyle transitions needed. Buying their goods can only have a positive effect on how they might feel about that and they totally deserve to be supported too. These business people could well be the backbones of the smaller local economies of the future that we've been talking about, as well as important international contacts. Afterall we're all in this together so we should be supporting each other. 

Personally I'm planning on sending our Sydney and Perth family members presents that are easy to mail this year to cut down on that cost. A something I've found that is good for kids and teenagers are cool paper toys that are free to download and print out. They're far cooler than you expect, especially the emo and halloween ones. I'll also be sending a disaster diorama to one of my grown up friends who I know will appreciate it as well as making some stuff (providing that the kids leave me alone for long enough to finish my projects).

Maenad

krogoth's picture
krogoth

They are doing the same in Taiwan. Every man, woman and child will receive $3200 NT. to stimulate the economy.

Not a lot of money, but hey it's free. 

rowmat's picture
rowmat
Give away Crash Course DVD's as Christmas Gifts!

Tell the recipients before they open the wrapping paper that they are receiving the most valuable Christmas present they're ever likely to get!

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Christmas?  What Christmas?

They won't cancel the debts, so we canceled Christmas......! 

krogoth's picture
krogoth
I am so sad

I am so sad.

DamntheMatrix does not believe in Santa, sniff.

switters's picture
switters

Good.  Maybe we can get back to the actual spirit of these holiday rituals which were all at one time based on natural cycles (i.e. solstice, equinox).  Spending time with loved ones, celebrating the turning of seasons, reconnecting with our heritage... instead of frantically rushing around from one mall to another buying plastic pieces of crap made by kids in China at slave wages and then wrapped in endless bundles of cardboard and paper and ribbons and put under a chopped down pine tree decorated with electric lights and more plastic pieces of crap.

krogoth's picture
krogoth

Just one word- CONDITIONING

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments