Chris Yahoo presentation and time frame

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
etsan's picture
etsan
Chris Yahoo presentation and time frame

Hello,

When was the crash course created? Was it 5 years ago? If so, then I think any current (Yahoo) or future presentations Chris makes should say "The next 15 years are going to be completely different from the last 30 years minus the 5 years that have already passed". Doesn't make sense if in another 5 years he continues to say the same thing. It will show that his predictions in regards to the time frame of events is not completely accurate. Just my two cents.

jrf29's picture
jrf29
Re: Chris Yahoo presentation and time frame

Actually, this is an excellent question, because it offers an opportiunity to repeat Chris' own clarifications about the meaning of that phrase.

Chris has said repeatedly that the phrase "the next 20 years are going to be completely unlike the last 20 years" is not a countdown.  Large-scale change is happening now, and will continue for a very long time.  In 2020, the phrase "the next 20 years will be completely unlike the past 20 years" may be just as true as it is today. 

To assume this phrase means that at some particular time in the next 0-18 years there will be a cataclysmic event that changes everything is a misreading.  Rather, the United States and the world are right now in the midst of a profound long-term transition and the time frame "20 years" is only intended to shake us out of our short-term thinking and get us to recognize the profound shift that will take place over a period of many years, and will continue long beyond that.  It just isn't obvious to us because we are so focused on the "second-hand" of history's clock.  We see the individual events, but we often fail to recognize the much larger story of which they are a part.  But in 20 years we will look back and see how far we have come. 

If Chris started to subtract years, that would only mangify the misperception that the phrase is a countdown of some kind.

I'll quote from the February 22 Martenson Report entitled, "The Future Has Arrived,"

Chris Martenson wrote:

One of the questions I am most frequently asked is, "What will happen when…?"  As in, what will happen:

• When things finally take a turn for the worse?
  • When the dollar dives?
  • When the government hits a fiscal wall?

Essentially, these are all forms of the basic question, "What will happen when the future finally arrives?"  My work, as I see it, is to help you accept the following statement:  The future has arrived. 

It is already here.

Interestingly, the people who lived through the Great Depression often say that they were not fully aware of it until afterwards.  It can be difficult to appreciate the enormity of events while they are happening.

In any event, it's pretty safe to say that the last 3 years (economically, at least) have been none too similar to anything in our adult lifetimes.  To predict that an economic tsunami was coming in 2006 (when I first heard him use the term) was laughable in the extreme.  You remember the sentiment then.  To suggest that the stock market was on the verge of a major tumble when no such event appeared to be on the horizon was tin-foil hat stuff.  Nobody believed that there would be an economic crisis of any kind.  But Chris called it.

Considering what has happened, I don't think that Chris needs to worry that anybody will think he is trying to buy himself extra time until his predictions come true.

"Trying to determine what is going on in the world by reading the newspapers is like trying to tell the time by watching the second hand of a clock." - Ben Hecht

DRHolden's picture
DRHolden
Re: Chris Yahoo presentation and time frame

RE: "Interestingly, the people who lived through the Great Depression often say that they were not fully aware of it until afterwards.  It can be difficult to appreciate the enormity of events while they are happening."

I like that quote from Chris.  I just added it as a tag-line to my email (with Chris's name of course)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments