Chris Martenson's Past

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ruhh's picture
Ruhh
Chris Martenson's Past

First off I really want to say that this thread is not intended whatsoever to talk about Michael Ruppert or the movie Collapse.

Now that that was out of the way I just want to give some context as to how this got started. I've been following the Collapse Facebook page as it has been a wealth of information. There are over 5000 fans now and many post great links and commentary on economic, environmental and political news.

At one point someone mentioned The Crash Course Then this fella, Joshua, posted the following

Quote:

be careful with Chris Martenson. I find it hard to trust anybody with his previous work history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wi ki/Christopher_Martenson

and of course I chimed in giving props to the excellent work Chris has done. I replied with the following...

Quote:

Joshua; Did you actually watch The Crash Course? Do you have any idea of what the message he's trying to convey or have followed his career since?

He makes it clear that "has made profound changes in his lifestyle because of what he sees coming". http://www.chrismartenson. com/about

I highly recommend The Crash Course to anyone and everyone. It's not as easy as watching an 81min professionally produced documentary but it goes into much greater detail on how the system currently works and why it can't continue to do so. Chris Martenson is possibly the best teacher on the subject of Peak Oil and IMHO does the best job connecting the Economy, Energy and the Environment.

I'll post the link up top here for everyone's reference. It deserves as much attention as Collapse, if not more.

and here's the post. Sorry about the formatting, I tried as patience granted to clean it up.

Quote:

Ron: I highly recommend The Crash Course to anyone and everyone. It's not as easy as watching an 81min professionally produced documentary but it goes into much greater detail on how the system currently works and why it can't continue to do so. IMHO Chris Martenson is possibly the best teacher on connecting the Economy, Energy and the Environment.

www.PeakProsperity.com
The Crash Course seeks to provide you with a baseline understanding of the economy so that you can better appreciate the risks that we all face. The Intro below is separated from the rest of the sections because you'll only need to see it once...it tells

Yesterday at 10:04pm · Comment ·LikeUnlike · Share
Ron St. Louis
Ron 
I particularly appreciate how he clearly differentiates when he is presenting facts vs. his opinion.

BTW: I am in no way trying to discredit Collapse or any of MCR's work. I have nothing but the utmost respect for MCR and his life's work as I have been following him for years. Watching The Crash Course was for me a defining moment in my life where  all of these things finally 'clicked'. I actually give it credit to getting me to coming back to MCR's work and paying more attention.

Visualize Whiled Peas

Ron 
yeah I saw the link. Suspect of what exactly. Seriously. I'm interested in your thoughts.
Laura
Joshua, I'm a little confused as well. I read the link also...if you suspect martenson, then do your own research on the topics and dispute him. Motivations? He posted a free video on youtube. You don't have to pay for it, although he asks for support. Is he teaching fact based legitimate information? Does is help you, could the information  help others? If yes, then what is the problem? And Joshua, have you watched crash course? If not, then I believe you suspect for speaking out against something you haven't educated yourself about. I believe this is the second time you've been asked to explain your reservations and you have yet to answer.
Joshua
Yeah, I'm picking on the little guy. Former VP of Pfiizer and SAIC one of the largest defense contractors. Watched it.
Martin
He's never made any secret that he was a Fortune 500 Vice President. But he gave that up and changed his life - got out of the corporate rat race I believe.

More to the point though Joshua, can you fault the information? What do you think his motivation is? do you think he earns more money out of this than he did from the Defence Industry? Seriously I doubt it.

Check the information. All that matters is whether or not the information is good.

Martin 
Btw he's also a Fellow of the Post Carbon Institute with Richard Heinburg
Joshua 
Poor guy.
Joshua
I see, Retired War Profiteer. I understand now.
Joshua 
Laura, of course everybody is getting on board Peak Oil. The facts are the facts.
Martin
There are plenty of people who have come in from the cold, so to speak. Your sarcasm does you no credit Joshua. Unless you've got some proof that his motives aren't genuine, I suggest you save your energy for something relevant.

There must be literally thousands if not millions of people who work for Pharma or 'Defence' companies, some quite high up, who are decent people.

Remember the influence of being born into a corporate/capitalist paradigm. Most people don't think twice about the morality of what they are doing.

By the way, the wikipedia details indicate he was involved in the healthcare sector of SAIC.

Martin
Should he? Why? Does anyone else? Maybe he doesn't see any moral problem in what he did as a research scientist. Maybe he doesn't think what he is doing now is paticularly 'moral' but just sensible.

Here's his bio:
http://www.chrismartenson.com/about

There's no claim of having 'Seen the light' here.

Joshua
Why would I read his version of him?
Joshua
I can see this is going nowhere quick. Good luck Martin. Power to the People!
Laura
Ok, Joshua, I understand. Except you really haven't given a reason to dismiss crash course. Unless of course you've watched it and found his information completely inaccurate and misleading.
Martin
Joshua, not everyone who works for SAIC or even the CIA is dubious. Haven't you heard of Compartmentalization? It's how people are kept from knowing anything the government doesn't want them to. If you don't want to read Martenson's version of himself, show me another bio that backs up your claims.
Joshua
Devil is in the details.
Stephen
Joshua, I am more than a little bit surprised that neither Martin or Laura show absolutely NO concern that M worked for one of the biggest defense contractors that they themselves (SAIC) describe as a "stealth corporation" with amazingly close ties to that pillar of transparency The CIA. No concern at all it would seem. Hmmm....has M come out and admitted what SAIC did or does he just say "a fortune 500 company"? It would seem to me he has A LOT to repent for but I haven't heard any apology or him admitting that his "former" company made billions from the war. His possible motivations are numerous but I wouldn't waste your time on these people who seem to completely back this guy. Be well.

Laura
Stephen, you're missing the point. Once again, have you actually watched Crash Course? Do you even know what you're talking about? It doesn't matter what someone DID, or who someone ONCE worked for. Crash Course is valuable information. Period. End of story. So, I submit to you, watch crash course, if you can refute the evidence he presents in the presentation then I'll listen. Until then, your opinion means very little to me.

Ron
I fully echo Laura's last comment here. I promote The Crash Course as a valuable learning tool and promote Dr. Martenson as a valuable teacher. I'm willing to look past any of his former ambitions and affiliations. I personally can attest that learning and absorbing this kind of information can deeply change a person's view of the future and alter their direction in life. I'm ready to forgive Chris' past (if that's even necessary) and willing bet that it has had the same effect on Chris and that is why he's taken the drastic changes to dedicate his life to this message.

I'm not really sure how to further respond or if I should even bother. I'm interested in hearing your opinions and mostly interested in how Chris would respond to this type of conversation. Dr. Martenson, I know you're busy but perhaps you could take a moment?

Thanks
r.

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh
Re: Chris Martenson's Past

here is a bit of an inflammatory reply by "Steven". Somehow it was missed between my last post and Laura's

Quote:

Dear Laura,
What someone did or who they worked for makes no difference? Actually it speaks to motivation. Your attempts to discount me and my concern over the co-opting of this situation by a "former" war profiteer is somewhat alarming. I am not refuting evidence I'm questioning motivation. Until you show ANY concern for the atrocities this man has contributed to you are just plain odd. I know who Mike is and what he stands for and his work on this topic stretches back years. He is enough and I support him. I really don't care if my opinion matters to you or not as you appear to be nothing more than a cheerleader trying to garner support for this film...and that's just weird.
Have a nice day:-)

EDIT: I've invited Steven and Joshua here to address their accusations.

nickbert's picture
nickbert

'Guilt by association' meets 'seven degrees of Kevin Bacon'.... somehow their arguments fail to impress me Undecided.  This is an example of the same kind of douchebags that labelled my dad and other Vietnam vets as being 'babykillers' simply because they were in the Army.  There's no pleasing some people, and IMO it's a waste of time for CM to spend even two seconds explaining his situation because they won't listen anyway.  I know your goal is probably to put these accusations and trash-talking to rest, but I think going on to reply to Beavis and Butthead's comments there with a continued response is just not productive.  The nice thing about the internet is that it's easier to ignore the closed-minded holier-than-thou crowd here than it is in the real world Wink

- Nickbert

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Ruhh,

I think it's really impressive that you've taken the time to "stick up" for Chris and the facts. But honestly, I agree with nickbert. This Joshua guy sounds like a complete moron. Probably one of those "Corporations suck, man!" types who is incapable of differentiating between some legitimately sleazy actions of some corporations and the ridiculous notion that all corporations are inherently evil.

I think you and Laura have already made your point well enough that anyone with a rational brain will be able to come to the right conclusion. If this guy insists on making an ass of himself, that's his problem. There's so much for society to gain by spreading the word about the Crash Course far and wide. Guys like Joshua just aren't worth anyone's time or energy and IMHO are best ignored.

Erik

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Erik T. wrote:

Guys like Joshua just aren't worth anyone's time or energy and IMHO are best ignored.

Concur.  Remember one of the prime directives of internet forums:  "Please don't feed the Trolls."

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Erik wrote:

Ruhh,

I think it's really impressive that you've taken the time to "stick up" for Chris and the facts. But honestly, I agree with nickbert. This Joshua guy sounds like a complete moron. Probably one of those "Corporations suck, man!" types who is incapable of differentiating between some legitimately sleazy actions of some corporations and the ridiculous notion that all corporations are inherently evil.

Ditto what nickbert and Erik said.

It seems to me like Joshua is seriously narrowing down the pool of people available to fight for change in the system if he isn't willing to accept people who were previously a part of that system (or still are, as many of us are who still need to make a living). 

Quite frankly, I don't have a problem with questioning and examining people's motives.  But I just don't see where Chris is benefitting financially from his work on the Crash Course (CC) (to the degree he was benefiting financially as a Fortune 500 VP).  And I certainly do not see where "the system" is benefiting from Chris's work on the CC, where Chris is educating people about the true nature of, and flaws in, that system!  I.e., so where's the motivation or pay-off?  It's as nickbert says, "guilt by association" is an extremely broad, non-discriminating and (IMHO) inaccurate measure of an individual in and of itself.  It is a "cheap shot" intellectually if not substantiated by more than the accusation and insinuation itself.

I would also ask Joshua what his background is (not really; not worth the time/effort)?  I think that a "guilt by association" argument could be made about just about anyone, given as broad a brush as he is using.

Finally, and I'm not trying to get religious here, but "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".  Does Joshua really feel so morally pure, given every action he has ever taken in his past, and every relationship he has participated in with other people and organizations, that he has the right to judge others so harshly, without providing a sound basis for those accusations? 

But again, I agree with Nickbert and Eric; you've done enough to expose the flaws in his argument.  Past that, it isn't worth your time/effort to engage with someone who is not going to participate in a rationale debate.

-pinecarr

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Sager wrote:

Eric wrote:

Guys like Joshua just aren't worth anyone's time or energy and IMHO are best ignored.

Concur.  Remember one of the prime directives of internet forums:  "Please don't feed the Trolls."

Too funny!!  And true!!

Laura j.'s picture
Laura j.

I responded to his seathing remark about my being a "cheerleader" for the movie.

5 hours ago · Report

Laura Gerosin

Laura Gerosin
Well Stephen, I'll give you this, you are a master of ad hominem argumentation.
I find that people who don't have sound arguments usually take the route this person has. 

idoctor's picture
idoctor

I agree with Sager don’t feed the trolls LOL. IMHO Chris is one of those very rare unique individuals that we should all be thankful even exist.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

Ruhh,

I truly appreciate your efforts here to explain and defend.  While I have zero interest or energy in trying to explain anything to 'Joshua', there's a larger lesson wrapped up in that dialog that concerns how I engage with people who present themselves in this manner.

Given what little I can read in Joshua's statements, I personally would not spend any time at all trying to convince them of anything as they are very clearly stating, in no uncertain terms, that they are not interested in open inquiry.  Perhaps they are not yet ready to hear the material, or may never be, and that's okay.  They are just defending themselves from having to confront challenging material that would be painful to ingest.

Or perhaps they have backed themselves into an intellecutal corner of helplessness where the world is entirely composed of evil actors with sinister associations and too much power.  Having run into more than a few of these folks over the years, I have come to the conclusion that their objections have less to do with ascertaining the truth than defending their own inability to get out and work for positive change.  The helplessness that accompanies the conspiracy-under-every-rock mindset (for some people, not all) is perversely comforting to them; it absolves them of the need to engage, show up, and be accountable to the world.  My clues for detecting these folks are seemingly perpetual anger but few (if any) concrete actions taken against the alleged targets of their anger.

Or it could be any number of other things that has sunk their worldview down a narrow shaft of thought.  For what its worth, the way I read the above comments, I think its a waste of time to try and shift Joshua's views by countering the individual objections ("he can't be trusted....was a war profiteer..."  etc) because the objections are just providing cover for a deeper set of beliefs.  My psych 101 reading of the above is that the root cause is a learned comfort in feeling powerless.  The relatively simplistic framework of "victim vs. victimizer" creates anger stemming from a perceived lack of power but also absolution from having to do anything.  After all, if "they" have all the power, and you have none, nothing can be done, so why bother? 

Of course, I could be way off base, but that's how it came across when I read it.

In the silver lining department, let me also take this opportunity to expand on my own personal story.  When I quit my job as VP of SAIC in July of 2005 to dedicate myself full time to developing the story that became the Crash Course, I had been working in a newly formed life sciences division on the commcercial side of the company (not government contracting and not defense...it's a 40,000 person company with hundreds of divisions), I was 42 years old and was earning over $250k per year.  I then spent four years blogging, giving free seminars and creating the Crash Course without ever earning a single dime from the endeavor.  We lived off of savings during those years - luckily we're savers, so we could.

Looked at this way, you could say I sank a million dollars into creating the Crash Course -  a product I felt was too important to sell, so I gave it away for free.  There's a very good chance I'll never see a return on that investment. 

I'm not asking for any sympathy here because I was actually extremely fortunate to have sufficient savings to be able to follow my passion, a wife and family that supported an indefensible career move,  and I got to pursue a path that is full of meaning for me.  Not everybody gets to do that, so I am grateful and I do not ever fret over the investment.

It's just so patently obvious that I did not "do this" for money that I think its instructive when people accuse me of being in this for the money, somehow.  At the very least they reveal themselves to have low powers of observation and possibly reveal their membership in the Psyche 101 club I outlined above.

More importantly I have lived my life as an open book and there is plenty of confirmatory evidence that I am exactly what I present myself to be that is freely available via Google to anyone who is interested.  Everything I've ever said about my background is true and easily verified.  I don't have any secret mansions or jets hidden away that will someday trip up my image.  I am what I am:  A concerned father and citizen of the world who's trying to create a world worth inheriting.  Life is short so let's spend it in association with people who are fun, dynamic, creative, and accountable.  Tearing down is easy, building is hard.  The former is a miserable pursuit, the latter is satisfying.

So thanks for the back-up and the opportunity to round out my story a little more, I appreciate both. 

Davos's picture
Davos

His fiber, the fiber within the CC, is so against our debt backed corporacracy. Not to mention - he swam 180 degrees against the tide, away from the school when he downsized and hung up his corporate jacket.

The troll isn't a moron, he is a F _ _ _ _ _ _ moron.

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

So let's focus on the positive aspects of this unusual thread.

It sounds to me like Laura j. had seen the Crash Course, but had not yet found her way here to the forums. This nonsense provoked by Joshua was the catalyst that brought her here. If statistical norms mean anything, then there are at least one or two "lurkers" who also followed Laura here but who have yet to post a message to introduce themselves.

So, Laura, Welcome! I really hope you'll stick around and participate in these forums. There is a core community of people here who "know" one another through this amazing website, and there is also a huge community of newcomers who have recently joined us. You sound like a very smart, positive energy lady. I think you'll find that this site will offer you the opportunity to share ideas with other like-minded people.

And to you lurkers out there, please feel welcome too. Introduce yourself if you like, or run silent if that's your M.O. This is site is probably the best learning asset on the 'net, and the Crash Course is just the beginning.

Last but not least, Joshua, if by chance you're reading this, I hope we'll sway you over to our way of thinking. Many of us here have an immense respect for Chris and what he's accomplished, and for that reason folks like my good friend Davos are labeling you as a "F_______ Moron". But if you should see the light and want to participate on the constructive side of this discussion, we'll welcome you with open arms. This material causes people to react in different ways, and if your inclination to brand Chris as a bad guy is just a temporary phase you're going through or something you need to do in order to sort out your own issues, I for one promise not to hold that against you if and when you decide to come join the community here that is focused on the positive aspects of learning and preparation.

Erik

Laura j.'s picture
Laura j.

Erik,

Thank you for your welcoming comments.  You're right, I've seen crash course but had no idea there was a forum here even though I've visited this website! :P  I am excited to learn and grow, for in these things possibility awaits!  And hey!  I don't mind being a cheerleader!  At least I'm apart of the game right? he he

I for one appreciated CM's response on this thread.  Although I feel it wasn't necessary because honestly the situation we're all in at the moment, calls for our energies to be expended toward trust and hope.  I had my doubts that CM was this horrible monster lurking under the gold plated bridge to grab me up and slow roast me over a fire.  At the same time, his sharing what he did was, once again, valuable.  So thank you Dr. Martenson for your candid post!

I'm excited to be here and once again, thank you for warm welcome!

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Laura, I'm so glad you've found us and joined the community.

You know, this got me to thinking... This site really needs a Welcoming Roadmap. Because Chris is very low-key and not much of an opportunist, there is no hard-sell for enrolled membership. I think it's really great that "the management" doesn't push anything on anyone. But the downside is that I am convinced that many people here don't even realize that the really good content is found in the Martenson Reports and Martenson Insider blog that are available to enrolled (paid) members.

For Chris to push it harder would just detract from the awesome vibe of the site. But a group of long-time site regulars could easily collaborate on a "welcome kit" for newcomers that shows them the ropes, so to speak. For example, I bet there are plenty of [newer] paid subscribers who don't even know that The Four Horsemen  was a seminal Martenson Report that has timeless value and that everyone should read.

I have this vision in my head. It's an e-mail that starts with "Dear newcomer, this is not from Chris Martenson or even from his staff. This is a site that is so special and which has such a strong sense of community that even the paying customers take pride in the place and want to welcome newcomers to finding everything the site has to offer. So a group of long-time subscribers got together and wrote up a road map to help you get the most from this site. It all starts with the Crash Course, but that's only the very beginning. From there your path will depend on your own interests, but we'd like to help put you on the right path, so here are some suggestions on where to start..."

I don't even have a firm idea on where it goes from there, but I think there's a lot of opportunity. Those of us who have been regulars here for a year or more know that the Crash Course is just the introduction that gives you the background to start to learn. But I think a lot of people think it's all there is. I think a roadmap that gives people a path through the timeless works such as The Four Horsemen would be a really good learning asset. But more importantly, I think that a warm welcome to newcomers that's truly from the community here as opposed to from Chris himself would really be cool. Anybody want to collaborate on this? Some of the "best stuff" I'm thinking of to include in the roadmap comes from the paid enrolled member side of the site, but I bet we could persuade Chris to let us include it in a newbie's welcome kit if we asked nicely... :-)

Erik

rocketgirl1's picture
rocketgirl1

Damned if you do and damned if you did but now don't.  What ev.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Hi Laura!

Welcome!

Chris I read your bio on Wiki. It is awfully benign. Its not spicy enough. No intrigue, no sex. C'mon. Charge it up a bit. Get arrested or something.

Doug's picture
Doug

Erik,

Great suggestion.  It also kind of dovetails with an epiphany I've had over the weekend.  I've spent a good deal of time trying to persuade people to view the CC with notably little success.  That hasn't discouraged me, but an ongoing dialogue I've had with a colleague has crystalized for me the fact that I'm doing something wrong.  I have engaged is extended discussions of various aspects of the CC with my colleague, but have failed to convince her to actually view the CC.  I should have realized long ago that Chris is a far more effective messenger than I am, and to focus my efforts on ways to guide people to the CC rather than trying to deliver his message.

I think that a forum such as you are suggesting will be helpful not only for newcomers, but also for vets like me to more effectively bring people to the CC.  Thanks for suggesting.

Doug

rocketgirl1's picture
rocketgirl1

"You did then what you knew how to do and when you knew better, you did better"

Maya Angelou

Now if more humans would simply act on what they know is "better" (like CM does) then we'd no doubt have a better world now wouldn't we ?

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson

Chris I read your bio on Wiki. It is awfully benign. Its not spicy enough. No intrigue, no sex. C'mon. Charge it up a bit. Get arrested or something.

I know, I know.  The problem is I cannot edit it, being the person it is about and all.  Wiki rules.

I'm thinking of starting a hedge fund that will lose over a billion dollars, or something, so that I can finally be taken seriously by the people who value such things.  ;)

And welcome Laura (and others) to these forums.  There are good people here who genuinely care and help each other out. 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Erik,

I like your idea, and would be happy to participate. I'm not terribly active in the forums these days, lurking more than writing, but still think your approach would be useful.

Laura,

Another warm welcome!

Chris,

I'd have less suspicion about your background if you would stop flying your black helicopters over my house!

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

"Looked at this way, you could say I sank a million dollars into creating the Crash Course -  a product I felt was too important to sell, so I gave it away for free.  There's a very good chance I'll never see a return on that investment."

I read a story about someone who put a working refrigerator in his front yard with a sign that said "FREE" , nobody would take it thinking that something must be wrong with it if is free, he then put a sign on it for twenty bucks and it was gone within hours, just a thought.

Maybe you could start a rumor that there is a likeness of Jesus or the Virgin Mary in one of your exponential charts, that would get the medias attention.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/news/14990

suesullivan's picture
suesullivan

What Chris said in the recent TwoBeers with Steve podcast about not trying to convince people who aren't ready to shift mentally and focusing instead on helping people who already are open to a shift to move further in that direction has really stuck with me. And I'm sorry to see two threads on the board today (EmperorNero's and this one) where he's had to spend time explaining himself in regards to people not even remotely close to making that shift. I'm sure Chris' clarification is helpful to those of us listening with open minds, but I find myself wanting him to go out and plant garden beds (or do something enjoyable and self-sufficency oriented) instead!

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh

Chris

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Your dedication is very much appreciated. I want to take this opportunity to thank you personally for creating the Crash Course. It's been about a year and a half since I first saw it and since then I feel like I've grown so much as a person and strive to continue developing my knowledge and skills to help myself and my community. I've taken concrete actions in my life to be better prepared for an uncertain future and as a result I now feel quite comfortable with the safety net I've built so far.

Your recent interview on Two Beers With Steve was great (thanks Steve). I especially liked the part where you talked about presenting things at a values level vs at the issues level. I've been struggling at times to convey the message and think this approach will be of great help to me. Very much looking forward to hearing about your future works. Thanks again.

Erik

That is a great idea about a welcoming mat of sorts. I think perhaps a page or 'sticky' forum topic could be created that has some essential material for those who have recently watched The Crash Course. I agree that The Four Horsemen would fit nicely in there. I would highly recommend to add  The Six Stages of Awareness. I find myself going back to that post many times when I'm dealing with people that have recently taken the CC or have finally started to listen to any similar message.

Laura

Welcome. Nice to see you made it here and I hope you stick around. The community here has been an invaluable resource.

Thanks everyone

JAG's picture
JAG
Orientation Video

I could contribute some work on a "welcome and orientation" video that we could then post to youtube and cite hear in the forums. We could use screen capture video to show how to navigate around the site and point to some of the more useful threads. Youtube used to allow clickable links directly in the video, and I'm pretty sure it still does in some form or another.

But I wouldn't be comfortable narrating the video myself, so someone else would need to step up to the plate for that.

Also, we would need a site administrator to enable the video to be displayed here in a high enough resolution (720p) to be useful for screen captures and links.

We could begin the video with Dr.M's own version of his bio as well.

What other type of content would be useful for orientation?

I can do most of the grunt work, but I need a narrator and content ideas to work with.

Luc's picture
Luc
Chris Martenson's Past

I may sound negative but here it is. 

I am a corporate pilot (military and civilian) and went through many crew resource management courses.  These courses get us to reaize how one can maximize the relationships between humans and other humans who have to operate many system under (sometimes) pressure. 

There are two types of pilots.  Those who see the need immediately ( 2 sec.) and those who never do.  As a younger pilot I would spend an immense amount of time explaining things like the effectiveness of a decision is the quality of the decision times the acceptance of this decision (synergy) therefore we need to involve people when time allows etc etc.  From my experience, I have never seen one person evolve from denial of the concept to acceptance and self improvement. 

I am probably getting older but I have no more energy for these people. I much prefer give freely to those who want to grow.  A happy crew is very attractive.  A welcoming, warm, and generous site is very attractive.  I thoroughly enjoy the site and would like to thank everybody for who they are. 

English is not my primary language; however, I know how to use visio to build flow diagrams so if it can be of any help I could contribute this way. 

Have a good evening

Luc

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Jeff,

I love the video idea, and would be happy to narrate if that's helpful. I was originally thinking of a written welcome guide, but hey, why not do both?

This has clearly drifted off the original thread's topic, so I created a new thread for Project Welcome Mat. Let's continue the discussion about how to organize a welcome message and what it should say there.

Laura and Ruhh, I hope you'll let Joshua know that his baseless attack on Dr. Martenson's character actually had the result of motivating some of his loyal readers to help grow his community!

Erik

SteveW's picture
SteveW
Doug wrote:

I've spent a good deal of time trying to persuade people to view the CC with notably little success.

Well it could simply be that these people are happy where they are and just aren't/or never will be ready.

On the other hand it might be you need the right "hook". Some folks worry about peak oil, others wonder why gold has increased 4 fold over the last decade, for others its the financial meltdown or the housing collapse or unemployment or bankruptcy personal or State. I know we're in a real mess but the CC hangs all these symptoms together and by picking the right "hook" you might have more success. 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
Luc wrote:

I am a corporate pilot (military and civilian) and went through many crew resource management courses.  These courses get us to reaize how one can maximize the relationships between humans and other humans who have to operate many system under (sometimes) pressure.

There are two types of pilots.  Those who see the need immediately ( 2 sec.) and those who never do.  As a younger pilot I would spend an immense amount of time explaining things like the effectiveness of a decision is the quality of the decision times the acceptance of this decision (synergy) therefore we need to involve people when time allows etc etc.  From my experience, I have never seen one person evolve from denial of the concept to acceptance and self improvement.

Sounds a lot like surgeons and surgical assistants. Some get it, some don't. Those that don't, rarely ever will.

Also, welcome to the forums!

ckessel's picture
ckessel

Laura,

Welcome to the CM site and thank you for being willing to take a stand for what is true for you.  When I attended the Lowesville Seminar nearly a year ago and had the opportunity to meet Chris and his family I was relieved to observe that they are refreshingly, simply concerned citizens willing to help others and do something about the predicament. Humility, integrity and honesty are tremendous assets these days .........and unlike most other asset classes will always increase in value!

Jag, I think your concept would be very helpful. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Coop

SingleSpeak's picture
SingleSpeak

The troll isn't a moron, he is a F _ _ _ _ _ _ moron.

Now Davos, didn't your mother ever tell you not to call people Fathead?Wink

rocketgirl1's picture
rocketgirl1

I'm going to cherish this thread as a reminder of the essence and quality of the CM members spirit and their ability to move forward in positive and productive ways in the face of criticism and doubt.

Loving it !

Kris

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments