rowmat's picture
rowmat
So now a lobbyist for which bank?

Undecided

goes211's picture
goes211
Re: Chirs Dodd is retiring

Peter Schiff must be happy!

I don't think so.  Dodd was damaged goods that was likely to loose his next general election.  Conneticut is such a Democratic state, it is going to make a Republican pick up very hard.

tx_floods's picture
tx_floods

It seems plausible that Dodd is savvy enough to see which way the current political winds are blowing. I suspect that he sees that "jig is up" for him. I don't know how the people of Connecticut feel about him, but maybe he thinks his chances against Schiff are not good. The informed populace of the US, in general, see him and others for what they are: lying, scheming, greedy crooks. 

Hopefully, this will start a trend of the remaining criminals, I mean, incumbents to start their exodus onto the golden road of retirement.

joemanc's picture
joemanc

This CT resident is very, very happy today!!! Smile

Doug's picture
Doug

Without Dodd in the race, this polling could get reshuffeled, but so far Schiff isn't polling well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Connecticut,_2010 

Poll Source Dates Administered Rob Simmons Linda McMahon Peter Schiff
Moore Information December 15-16, 2009 35% 37% 4%
Quinnipiac November 3-8, 2009 28% 17% 5%
Quinnipiac September 10-14, 2009 43% -- 2%
Research 2000 September 8-10, 2009 38% -- 1%

It could be an entertaining primary as McMahon, former CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment, appears to be the early front runner and gaining momentum.  Maybe some body slams and throwing chairs around could add some real sparkle to the election.Laughing

Doug

Headless's picture
Headless

Dodd is getting out (as, I predict, will many, many others) because he doesn't want to be in the public eye when the real catastrophe hits. However, it won't do him any good unless he leaves the country, as people will remember his part; there will always be a bullseye painted on his forehead...

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Quote:

Dodd is getting out (as, I predict, will many, many others) because he doesn't want to be in the public eye when the real catastrophe hits.

You may be right. That thought crossed my mind this morning. Seems like a lot of career politicians are calling it quits this election go around. But hey, they've "madeoff" their millions, the writing is on the wall, time to get out on my terms, or be voted out.

Davos's picture
Davos

Whatever the reason - GOOD RIDDANCE! Hope the door hits him in the ___ on the way out. Maybe he is joining GS to do God's work.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

haha wouldn't that be something: Chris Dodd leaves the government and passes right through the revolving door. I think the public is reaching its limit for how much of this it can take. I'm frankly surprised that Timothy Geithner still has a job...

jhelge's picture
jhelge

I wish I could celebrate his defeat but I feel the victory is hallow. Yes, he was going to lose next election. Yes, he is absolutely corrupt. But now he is free to cash in on all the prostitution he did these past years, and enjoy the spoils of his rape of America on distant shores. Unfortunately, there is one less way for us to hold him accountable for his crimes.

The powerful people and corperations who influenced his decisions will likely continue in his place, unless Schiff wins. And he was running against the corruption of Dodd. This move steals his most compelling point. Who do you think the powerful interests will be backing financially this election now?

Oh, well. Good riddance indeed. Maybe we will get a Senate Banking Committee Chair that talks more elequently next. Sure the cognitive dissonance will hurt at first, but at least (s)he won't be the one we've so familiarly come to despise. Small comfort, but in this economy, I'll take what I can get.

masmoola's picture
masmoola

Alas, I will not shed a tear as Chris bids us adieu. I'm confident that he already has a new place at the "public trough."

In spite of any meaningful public service he performed he will always be remembered for the mortgage and healthcare debacles.

Jeff Borsuk's picture
Jeff Borsuk

One more down, over 350 to go!

Jeff

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Coupla Qs for those better-informed than I:

1.  Schiff is running as an independent?  

2.  We all know why Dodd's opting out.  What's the deal with Dorgan?

Davos's picture
Davos

"Same prostitutes - different pimps", that quote from my wife as we sit here in bed reading the news about this today on our Macs.

Doug's picture
Doug

The explanation I heard on MSNBC for Dorgan's leaving is basically that he is feeling his mortality.  If he runs again and wins he will be in his mid 70's by the end of the term.  He's apparently seeing some kind of opportunity out there, possibly lobbying,  for one more go around in life before he fades from the scene.

There's been a lot of buzz about Ed Schultz running for his office, even a movement to draft him, but Schultz seems to have firmly rejected that idea.

Doug

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments