Is China really threatening countries that support the Nobel Prize?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
land2341's picture
land2341
Is China really threatening countries that support the Nobel Prize?

Beijing denounces Nobel prize as a Western tool

By SCOTT McDONALD

China accuses peace prize supporter of subversion

BEIJING The awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to a jailed democracy activist is a political attack on China, a Chinese leader said Friday, warning that countries acknowledging the honor would "bear the consequences."

The warning comes a day after several diplomats said China was pressuring European governments to avoid next month's Nobel Peace Prize ceremony for Liu Xiaobo and not make any statements in support of him.

Since Liu was named winner of the prize one month ago, China has issued daily condemnations in state media and angry denunciations have come from its leading diplomats.

Vice Foreign Minister Cui Tiankai called the awarding a "highly politicized event," and said foreign nations had a stark choice between challenging China's judicial system and developing friendly relations with Beijing.

Read more: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2010/11/04/1238633/beijing-denounces-nobel-prize.html#ixzz14iwhoLpJ

I believe this is saber rattling with no real threat behind it.  However, given just about everyone's current financial relationship with China could,  or more appropriately would, China make good on these threats?

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson
Re: Is China really threatening countries that support the ...

Well, this wasn't hard to predict was it?  We've sold our souls to the devil with our massive decadent consumption of Chinese goods.  I wonder when they are going to make a move on Taiwan?

land2341's picture
land2341
Re: Is China really threatening countries that support the ...

The push was not hard to predict.  I think the extent of their push is a little harder to pin point.

I understand that the G20 talks between the US and China were "acrimonious".  Purportedly things have been smoothed over - some.

Financial threats and political threats.....  things are getting interesting.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments