Last post
cat233's picture
cat233
Cash-strapped states weigh selling roads, parks
Cash-strapped states weigh selling roads, parks
jrf29's picture
jrf29
Re: Cash-strapped states weigh selling roads, parks

This must surely be one of the most dangerous trends in public policy.  The common lands of the people are owned by them so that the benefits of their use may accrue to all.  Putting them into private hands may bring cash into the state coffers, but in the long term it means only the further impoverishment of the people.

qxcvr's picture
qxcvr
Re: Cash-strapped states weigh selling roads, parks

This is defietly one of the saddest things I have ever heard.  Selling the assets of future generations to cover and expand current costs will never be sustainable.  We would be better off cutting payroll and firing employees.  The end result is these states must decrease their expenses, not sell their assets to strap on more expenses.  Why is this simple fundamental fact so hard for corporate and government leaders to see?  I will surely miss driving on a free road and hiking in a national forest or state park in the future.  Though I guess a very few people will get a job because of our loss and even fewer will get really rich... so good for them.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments