Can someone explain a transition group?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Littleskipper's picture
Littleskipper
Can someone explain a transition group?

Hi all,

I came across crash course a few months ago and I joined the community to keep myself informed.  I many of the posts very informative.  In one such post a person mentioned a Transition Group.  What exactly is this?  The individual mentioned they were selling their home and looking at another property with a nearby transition group.  We're also selling our home and have been looking at real estate further outside the city, something with more land in order to expand our resources.  Thanks!

James Wandler's picture
James Wandler
Re: Can someone explain a transition group?

Littleskipper,

To answer your question I found the following movie that looks interesting:

http://www.transitionnetwork.org/about/publications/transition-movie

The Transition Initiative arose out of concern about peak oil and global warming.  Regardless of controversy over global warming the solution proposed of weaning ourselves off oil asap is a holistic approach to solving many related issues.  Throw in complementary currencies and you've got something that helps with the financial crisis as well.

The book to read is Rob Hopkins': "The Transition Handbook: From oil dependency to local resilience".

However I also now believe that the most important first step is to change ourselves so that we are more centered in approaching transition.  The book to read in this regard is "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.  Otherwise you act from a place of fear which is counterproductive.  Starting the change from within yourself will mean that you will begin the process of healing others around you in the same way.  Then you all can take steps like the Transition Initiative together fluidly. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

James

Tycer's picture
Tycer

Here you go:

http://www.transitionus.org/transition-101

deggleton's picture
deggleton
James Wandler wrote:

I also now believe that the most important first step is to change ourselves so that we are more centered in approaching transition.  The book to read in this regard is "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.  Otherwise you act from a place of fear which is counterproductive.  Starting the change from within yourself will mean that you will begin the process of healing others around you in the same way.  Then you all can take steps like the Transition Initiative together fluidly.

James

+1 and I'll raise you by recommending The 8th Habit by Stephen R. Covey, which features the whole person paradigm and the concept of complementary teams.  The Transition model is good for keeping early interactions safe, easy and flowing, but when the going gets rough, so to speak, whole people on complementary teams will be what we want (they'd be good anytime!).

David

yoshhash's picture
yoshhash

You should be aware that it can be anything you want it to be.  A couple years ago, when I first began getting seriously concerned about peak oil, I joined an online community designed to help people set up their own transition towns.  I firmly believe in the power of community and being prepared, and that anyone who has given reasonable thought to what could happen, post SHTF  or PO, would be better equipped, especially if they knew other like-minded people.  So I volunteered to be the "leader" - (or perhaps contact point is more accurate, since I didn't really want to be the leader) of my splinter transition town in the city of Cambridge, Ontario.  I was in contact with other leaders from other cities reasonably close by, and apparently, they were having meetings, discussing preparation strategies, etc.  

Then nothing happened.  Not a single other person joined, or even inquired.  I asked the other guys online what kind of numbers they were getting, and it wasn't much better.  Eventually, I moved, so I shut my "group" down, not planning to start another.  In Canada, since we are having a mild recession at worst (and our banks are healthy, not a single bank folded during the last official depression), there is no sense of urgency, no sense of imminent collapse, nobody knows about things like fractional reserve banking, noone cares.  I am completely alone in my neck of the woods, in terms of being a "prepper".

I felt kind of silly after my experience with transition towns, but I still feel it is very important to do this sort of thing.  I would jump at the chance to do it again if I even found one person nearby (I am now in Windsor, ONtario- next to Detroit, can't find any preppers there either, believe it or not!) who believed that we are due for a collapse.  If you know anyone else from the chrismartenson website or similar, and have actual contact outside the digital world, you already are part of a loosely organized transition town.  Exchange numbers and addresses (not publicly of course) because you never know when the internet could go down.

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Littleskipper,

This readable online book in pdf should answer all of your questions instantly, as the author Rob Hopkins is the man who devised the Transition Town movement

The Transition Handbook - by Rob Hokins

[quote=]

Patrick Whitefield Reviews The Transition Handbook

It’s very rare that someone comes up with a genuinely new idea, but the concept of Transition Initiatives is one such. Transition aims to confront the twin challenges of climate change and peak oil at the level of the community – whether town, village, district or city – and for the initiative to come from the people themselves. Rob Hopkins is both the person who invented the idea and the author of this book.

Transition Initiatives are the opposite to environmental campaigning. Firstly, they’re not a cry for the powers that be to do something for us but a pathway for us, the people, to do it ourselves. Secondly, it focuses on the positive benefits of the changes we’re trying to bring about rather than the terrible consequences of business as usual. Both of these approaches are also at the heart of permaculture and it’s no coincidence that Rob worked for many years as a teacher of permaculture before he started the Transition movement. The principles of permaculture pervade every page of this book and Rob makes it quite clear how much Transition owes to permaculture, especially to the ideas of David Holmgren. What Rob has done is to take permaculture and use it to address the two great issues of our time and to do so in a specific way, using the local community as the unit of action.

The book is divided into three parts: The Head, The Heart and The Hands. The Head is a statement of the problem, subtitled ‘why peak oil and climate change mean that small is inevitable’. In short, we can either just let the end of the oil age happen or we can plan for it, but our present oil-dependent, globalised way of life is not an option for the future. Planning for an orderly transition is our only hope of a viable future. This part of the book contains a concise account of peak oil and an update on climate change. There are one or two places here where he assumes some previous knowledge but in general it’s an excellent summary. If you want to know what all the fuss is about or to explain it convincingly to others without having to trawl through long books and obscure websites, look no further.

Rob Hopkins: Transition to a World Without Oil (TED)

Other readable online books of great relevance can also be found on this thread that I'm in the process of building: -

Important Films, Books Or Internet Pages We All Should Study - Add Your Own

~ VF ~

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments