Bush Mechanics

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Poet's picture
Poet
Bush Mechanics

There was a documentary series back in 2001 called Bush Mechanics.

"The television show featured Aboriginal people from Yuendumu fixing cars in such a way as they travelled through Central Australia. As they traverse the desert in their dilapidated vehicles, the series followed how they solved multiple car problems with inventive, wacky and unpredictable bush repair techniques."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_Mechanics

These sample videos are fascinating for those with a mechanical bent (or for just anyone, really) to watch. When you don't have the proper tools or parts, you make do. They show amazing resourcefulness and creativity.

Bush Mechanics 1962 EJ Holden Part 1/2

Bush Mechanics 1962 EJ Holden Part 2/2

There is also an old, but still working Web site tied to the documentary series, with a game, video clips, etc. The "Tricks" section shows you some ideas on unorthodox car repair, such as stuffing a flat tire with tight bundles of grass...

BUSH MECHANICS
http://www.bushmechanics.com/

Growing up in a Third World country, you see this all over. Even the Cubans are reknown for being able to still keep cars from the 1940s and 1950s running.

Poet

Poet's picture
Poet
Fix Please

Would a moderator be able to help fix the formatting above? I intended to have an extra line break (or new paragraph) start after each of the YouTube hyperlinks under their respective video embeds. You can delete this comment after fix. Thanks!

Poet

Poet's picture
Poet
Democratic Republic Of The Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

Along the lines of remote locations far from mechanics, auto parts, and or even the luxury of unpaved roads....

The following forum postings (in the form of a diary with pictures) kept me occupied for many hours when I first saw it a year or so ago. Anyone who has ever loved offroading and the challenges entailed will appreciate this.

Those who study  "civilization collapse" will also find this series to be interesting, because a young Belgian couple managed to drive their way through some of the most remote parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo and emerged alive minus a few bribes, a lot of headache, and with their their vehicle somewhat intact.

Democratic Republic Of The Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa (Great adventure, great pictures)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-...

This conversation was in French ofcourse:

Customs Officer: "Hi, that'll be 5$US"
- Me: "Ofcourse,but what is it for exactly?"
CO: "Tourist tax"
- Me: "Oh, I was not aware of the existance of a tourist tax?"
CO: "Yes, but only on the first entry"
- Me: "Aaaah, ofcourse how could I forget. I already paid this when I entered at by boat in Kinshasa a few months ago" <-- I lied, there is no such tax and I never paid such tax. But I did have the proof of my previous entry in Congo in my passport
Co: *long silence*
Co: *hesitating* "You still have to pay..."

He lost, I won. He knew it but he would not give in of course. I sat there for another 10 minutes before I was let go without any further words. This went smoothyl... very smoothly! I was starting to think that all these corruption stories about Congo were overrated. Little did I know at that time...

Poet

SPAM_larry11's picture
SPAM_larry11
I watched these videos and I

I watched these videos and I still couldn't believe what I was seeing. That's inspiring if you want to become a car mechanic. And I was preoccupied that I don't know much about cars and started learning some new stuff on some site I am spamming for.  These guys managed to impress me in seconds.

Poet's picture
Poet
To The Impressed Spammer

Maybe you should start thinking about some of what this site is about, not just the economics, energy, and the environment, but the coming decline of civilization - including famine, poverty, possibly death.

Poet

SPAM_larry11 wrote:

I watched these videos and I still couldn't believe what I was seeing. That's inspiring if you want to become a car mechanic. And I was preoccupied that I don't know much about cars and started learning some new stuff on some site I am spamming for.  These guys managed to impress me in seconds.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments