Burying P.M.'s

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Judd's picture
Judd
Burying P.M.'s

I have begun to realize I need to relocate my P.M.'s. I am thinking of burying them and wondered if anybody here has advice on what type of container to use and any other advice in protecting coins in this type of enviroment,

thanks, Judd

flushman's picture
flushman
burying P.M.s

I used PVC pipe with end caps. Airtight and good protection. Pipe can be cut to length easily, and is available in several diameters. No glue necessary.

jrf29's picture
jrf29
PVC vs. ABS pipe

Hi Judd,

I can't say that I've ever buried precious metals or much of anything else (except the occasional pet who has passed on to the big fire hydrant in the sky).

My father was a plumber, however, and he buried and unburied a lot of pipe.  According to him, PVC plastic pipe (the white stuff) gets brittle, and will crack after a decade or so underground.  ABS plastic pipe (the black stuff) is what you want for longevity and durability.  Copper or stainless steel threaded pipe would be even better, of course.

But PVC plastic is even worse underground than galvanized steel.  The PVC will crack even sooner than the steel will rust through.

earthwise's picture
earthwise
PVC vs. ABS pipe

I've seen and worked with PVC that his been in the ground for fifty+ years that is decently servicable. More brittle, yes a little, but still workable. I install and repair irrigation systemsprofessionally  for residential, commercial and agricultural properties. I have worked on citrus and avocado groves where there is a mix of galvanized pipe, the old shedule 80 (grey, thin wall) PVC, and (relatively) newer schedule 40 and class 200 (white) PVC. Inevitably, the galvy is corroded from the inside and at the ends where coupled with fittings--anywhere there is no galvanization. However that shouldn't prevent galvy from being used for this purpose. It will definitely stay watertight for decades. ABS is real good to.

FWIW, I used PVC.

bluestone's picture
bluestone
Judd.  I've referenced a

Judd.  I've referenced a nice article on this topic on the dollar collapse website (which is a link on chris martenons.com).  This article states that you should not have PVC in direct contact with your PMs, especially silver.  

http://dollarcollapse.com/gold/where-you-hide-it/

Brian

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Storing physical PMs
bluestone wrote:

Judd.  I've referenced a nice article on this topic on the dollar collapse website (which is a link on chris martenons.com).  This article states that you should not have PVC in direct contact with your PMs, especially silver.  

http://dollarcollapse.com/gold/where-you-hide-it/

Brian

That's good to know. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to have kept my Kruggerands in the Polyethylene containers that they were shipped in, and then put those into PVC. Note: I 'diversified'  my  deposit locations by putting some in safe deposit boxes in two different banks, with some also being buried on my land and some buried on land belonging to family. Tried to not have all eggs in a single basket.

Judd's picture
Judd
Bluestone

Bluestone,

thanks for the link and advice on contact with the PVC

Judd

New_Day's picture
New_Day
Burying P.M.s

Thanks for all the posts on Burying P.M.s. When I mentioned the strategy to our children, they were immediately were excited by the plan. Their enthusiasm helps me balance my wife's total denial of the escalating currency crisis.

flushman's picture
flushman
PVC vs. ABS pipe

Thanks for the feedback. I stand corrected. I incorrectly used the term PVC as a generic name for plastic pipe. What I actually bought and put in the ground is indeed ABS. I kept the silver in the original shipping tubes, so there is no contact with the plastic.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments