Building community: work parties

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
switters's picture
switters
Building community: work parties

After almost a year of meeting monthly to watch the Crash Course and discuss the Three Es, it became clear that our group was ready to do something other than talk about the challenges we're facing.  We decided to restructure our group into a monthly "work-party" brigade.  

We held the first event at our house on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago.  Everyone arrived at 11:00 for a pot-luck brunch (there were about 18 of us).  After brunch we got to work.  In the space of a few hours we built a chicken coop, transferred 3 square meters of dirt from the driveway into the garden, planted a couple of trees, built several planters out of old barrels, dug up the grass meridian between the sidewalk and street and planted it with seeds, and prepared a huge dinner which everyone enjoyed after the work day.

One of the most amazing things about it was how the neighbors responded.  People who were walking by stopped to ask us what we were doing, and some even joined us for a while.  Neighbors we hardly knew came over to see what was happening.  My sense is that they were sincerely moved (and probably pretty surprised) by seeing a group of people working together in community in an urban area like this.  In fact, one neighbor said something to the effect of "I wish I had 18 friends that would come over and work on my house!"

Next month we will have a work party at someone else's house, and so on.  It was wildly successful.  Everyone loved the experience of working side by side for a common goal, the gratification that comes with making tangible progress, and the social aspect of the shared meals.  

If you have a group that meets regularly to discuss the Three Es, I highly recommend this format.  It's practical, it's fun, and it's a great way to build community.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: Building community: work parties

What a great success!  Solid work got done, existing community ties were strengthened, and new ties were formed . . . . Fantastic, Switters!

-- C1oudfire

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Actually, we've been doing this for about nine months.... we're in a small town (pop ~700) and we have a core group of ~20, though rarely more than 6 turn up at working bees/Permablitzes.

We have started a brand new social network website to try and improve communications, and swap info etc. You can see it at http://coorangardens.ning.com/

I'd encourage anyone living in a small community (might work in a bigger one, don't know 'til you try it I guess) to do something similar.

We're going to use the site to advertise the date and time of future working bees.

Mike

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
C1oudfire wrote:

What a great success!  Solid work got done, existing community ties were strengthened, and new ties were formed . . . . Fantastic, Switters!

-- C1oudfire

Second that!  Success in the future, IMO, will depend muchly on confabulations such as this.  Well Done!

Viva -- Sager

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Whoops.  

It has been brought to my attention that "confabulation" implies "the formation of false memories" et alia (no doubt from the same root as the word "fable")...

In my experience, I've understood the word to mean "get together w/other folks & brainstorm about stuff/get busy doing stuff"....SO:

No offense to the Good Switters (& work-party)...please take my above post in the (mistaken but heartfelt) sense I meant it.

...and dang...I guess even an English major never stops learning the language... (hat tip to c1 for the Timely Clue)...

Viva -- Sager

bluestone's picture
bluestone
confabulation

Sager

Confabulation is a term used in medicine fairly frequently.  A demented or delirious patient will sometimes confabulate.  For example, a patient may fill in the blanks with a "fable" when he/she is unable to recollect and convey his/her  medical history to the nurse or doctor

gave me a chuckle, thanks

Brian

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: confabulation
bluestone wrote:

Sager

Confabulation is a term used in medicine fairly frequently.  A demented or delirious patient will sometimes confabulate.  For example, a patient may fill in the blanks with a "fable" when he/she is unable to recollect and convey his/her  medical history to the nurse or doctor

Brian

Yah.  Turns out *I* was the one confabulating when I used the word "confabulation"...[wry grin]...

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: confabulation
SagerXX wrote:
bluestone wrote:

Sager

Brian

Yah.  Turns out *I* was the one confabulating when I used the word "confabulation"...[wry grin]...

Maybe "confabrication" was the word you were looking for . . . 

Confabricate:  to build things with others 

-- C1oudfire

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments