Bug-Out Bag, Redux

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Bug-Out Bag, Redux

There is this mailing list I am on where this guy who does stock tips also markets things like colloidial silver and prep stuff. I had to laugh at his most recent offering. While I am sure that some people with more money than sense will buy his pre-made bug-out bag, once you stripped out the hype his ad made a nice checklist. Here is his list of contents, heavily rewritten by ME:

BUGOUT BAG

·         AM/FM radio powered by a sturdy hand crank. This is the only "big ticket item" in the bag. Something like this would be good. However, on a budget a cheap AM/FM battery operated radio is better than nothing.

·         Family-Size Field Hygiene Kit: You need someone else to pack this for you? Seriously? Just put in a toothbrush per family member, toothpaste, twin blade razor, cotton wash cloth, cotton hand towel, shampoo, shaving cream, body lotion, deodorant stick, mini deodorant soap, floss… all the essentials. Don't forget medicines, sunscreen, and Deep Woods Off.

·         One Family-Size Solar Powered Outdoor Shower: Again, good grief. Just have a few black bags to fill with water and poke a hole in them after the sun warms it. If you poke the hole in a corner and knot it when you are done you get two showers per trash bag.

·         Two Emergency Ponchos: good idea. Construction supply companies have them. Or you can make them out of the same trash bags as your shower.

·         Two Body Heat Retaining Emergency Reflective Sleeping Bags/Blankets: just buy a Mylar blanket for each member of the family. In the woods you can cut down pine boughs for a springy bed. Funny - the guy does not suggest you have a small axe in your backpack, and that's just silly.

·         One Roll of All-Purpose Duct Tape: well, yeah.

·         Emergency Tube/Tent Shelter: oh good grief, it’s a small tarp with a clothesline. Grab a plastic painters drop cloth at Lowes or Home Depot. They come in multipacks and can also be used to seal windows if you stay home and want to avoid fallout.

·         Camper's Multi-Function Tool: they are on sale at Auto Zone.

·         Four Hand Body Warmers – really? In the Deep South we probably need these less. In the north they call them...mittens.

·         Emergency First Aid Kit: like for your home or car - available all over the place.

·         Emergency Rations: Nutrition bars, granola bars, Peanut butter-based ones are always a hit.  Or toss in a jar of peanut butter, a box of crackers, trail mix, jerky and some chocolate. Don't forget baby food and pet food.

·         50 Water Purification Tablets: you can get these at Walmart. ( I use pool shock. It's inexpensive in comparison, and you need to know how much to use but it IS a chemical, and needs to be handled carefully.  Per the link, to purify one gallon of raw water add one grain, about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. To make a 5% chlorine solution to be able to use the drop method for disinfecting water, add and dissolve add ½ teaspoon of 65-70% calcium hypochlorite to ¾ cup of water. This will decay at the same rate of purchased 5.25% bleach so don’t make more than you will use in a fairly short time.)

·         Several packages of pocket tissue plus a roll or two of toilet paper: I think we can safely say you know where to find  these items

·         One emergency candle: this is not hard to find, either

·         Garden trowel, for digging a "cat hole" when sanitary facilities are not available: GREAT idea.

·         Two disposal bags for human waste or other noxious materials (I call them "used grocery bags")

·         One note pad and Two standard No. 2 pencils. (Or pens. The back-to-schlool sales are on NOW, so  grab a few extra and store some here.)

·         One "coffee filter" dust mask per family member, in a Ziploc bag. (great if there is a pandemic)

·         Three packages waterproof matches. (I have triple zip-locked regular matches)

·         One pair of all-purpose work gloves: yep

·         Two twelve-hour light-sticks, yellow, non-toxic, weather proof, will not attract insects. (Nice, but not as essential as food, water, and shelter.. Remember, you already have a candle and a flashlight.)

·         Pair of collapsible drinking tumblers, 4 oz. (or just water bottles or plastic cups)

·         One 5-gallon collapsible water carrier with handle and pouring spout. (I have a gallon milk jug, empty for ease of carrying)

·         50-foot rope: good idea

·         One deck standard playing cards (stuck in a shelter? this is essential.)

·        All that, and he never even mentions copies of essential documents like your insurance papers, passport, marriage license, social security cards, immunization records, and other essential documentation. In a waterproof Ziploc or Glad bag, of course.

Emergency Essentials also has a pre-made bug-out bag for the terminally busy and/or well-heeled. But honestly, you have a checklist now, and the backpacks are on sale for back-to-school. If you've been putting this off, now is a good time to get this prep item off your list.

Tim_P's picture
Tim_P
 Great info SW!  I need to

Great info SW!  I need to finish up my BOBs and this makes a great checklist to see where the holes in the current bags are.

Thanks,

Tim

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Just a few thoughts
safewrite wrote:

There is this mailing list I am on where this guy who does stock tips also markets things like colloidial silver and prep stuff. I had to laugh at his

·         Four Hand Body Warmers – really? In the Deep South we probably need these less. In the north they call them...mittens.

·         50 Water Purification Tablets: you can get these at Walmart. ( I use pool shock. It's inexpensive in comparison, and you need to know how much to use but it IS a chemical, and needs to be handled carefully.  Per the link, to purify one gallon of raw water add one grain, about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. To make a 5% chlorine solution to be able to use the drop method for disinfecting water, add and dissolve add ½ teaspoon of 65-70% calcium hypochlorite to ¾ cup of water. This will decay at the same rate of purchased 5.25% bleach so don’t make more than you will use in a fairly short time.)

Great list safe.  I cherry picked the two items above to add a couple of thoughts.

Consider the hand warmers for hypothermia.  I never hike without them - we were on the AT in Maine a few years ago and a freak summer squall spun out a tornado (yes, the first one in almost 100 years) came out of nowhere, piled up 4 foot waves on the lake and swamped our canoes.  Once we gathered everyone up we had three cases of borderline hypothermia.  The hand warmers were perfect.

I'd also suggest spending $50-$80 and getting a hiker filter system.  Katadyn and MSR make some great ones that are very affordable.  Choosing between them is why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors.

ao's picture
ao
reference

Just to reference the source, it's advertisement that accompanies Lee Bellinger's Independent Living, a very good newsletter, in my opinion, with the only weakness being his health recommendations (but even those aren't too bad, just a little amateurish).  Also, he tends to push precious metals sources that are a bit more costly than others you can find.

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
I'm cracking up right now! 

I'm cracking up right now!  My bug out bag is my favorite subject. 

My kids laugh at how it goes wherever we go.  I never thought of garbage bags, water purification or rope!...I have bandanas, sharpies, a few gold and silver coins, cash, and tons of extra meds like vicadin, antibiotics, inhalers etc.  I lay awake at night trying to think of what more needs to be in the bag.  Never thought of a solar shower, good one. 

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
here, use my coupon

When I ordered a first aid kit and an emergency (hunter's) field surgery kit from Red Flare Kits they sent me a coupon for $5 off on my next purchase of $25 or more - and told me it was transferable. Since I am not gonna use it, I thought I would post the coupon code here.

You enter coupon code T57SZW23 at checkout to redeem it. I'm not sure how many times it will work, but I suppose it it worth a shot if they have something you need. I also got water purification tablets and light sticks for my bug out bag from them.

Safewrite

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments