Budget experts predict no Social Security cost-of-living increases for 3 years

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
Budget experts predict no Social Security cost-of-living increases for 3 years

I had to shake my head on this one. Inflation on food, energy, still going up in this depression. But government finds a way to stick it to you again.  

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/106849/Recession-Hits-...

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
Re: Budget experts predict no Social Security ...

You are so right. I have said this before, the elderly are being thrown under the bus completely.  Sadly, some may be more than willing to die a little earlier to avoid being a burden on the rest of us, I have heard this theme already from some elderly adults I work with who have been wiped out by the market crash and cannot live on their SS current payments alone. Of course this avoidance of COL increase also targets the disabled on social security.  Why not go after the weakest and the most disabled? It is unnerving to talk to these people (I have a clinical practice and work with lots of older adults and the disabled) already they are having trouble getting food and  paying their rents and it will clearly get much worse.

I have written to my state legislators about this issue several times and hopefully it will continue to get press attention.  Older and disabled adults often are quite isolated and really quite vulnerable. I will continue to complain but so far no one has responded to my letters at the federal, state or local level. 

Regards

Denise

Ready's picture
Ready

Guys,

With all due respect, SS is cooked, like before the 3 year period in question. This news is irrelevant when you consider the latest report: Social Security Stunner; Bankruptcy of Nation Moved Up Several Years.

Best,

Rog

MarkM's picture
MarkM

Rog,

Agreed that SS is cooked, as are most government figures.  Most of the "masses" don't pay attention to things like this.  However, I think they will start to wake up as government actions affect them directly.  If this prediction comes to pass, I predict more people will start to pay attention. 

Ready's picture
Ready
MarkM wrote:

Rog,

Agreed that SS is cooked, as are most government figures. 

I guess you could take my post 2 ways, and both are right.

What I meant was SS is no longer viable, and will soon begin to contribute negatively to the US fiscal picture rather than propping it up. That said, your observation about cooking the books is also true!

Best,

Rog

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments