Britain on the brink of an economic depression, say experts

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Britain on the brink of an economic depression, say experts

A race to the bottom - who will get there first - US or UK?

http://jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com/2009/01/united-kingdom-and-brit...

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Re: Britain on the brink of an economic depression, say ...

Hi Sam,

we've stumbled upon each other on a few threads over the last week or so and, even though we haven't written directly I consider you to be on the 'same page' in many of your discussions over the months where I read more at Chrs Martensons site than I wrote.

I'm British and a born and bred UK citizen and, in a more personal way, I'd like to explain my actions to this arriving depression over the last two years and what the general publics view in the UK really are from my perspective. I don't know whether I can make it clearer though.

I bought a two bedroom house in July 2004 for 71,250 Sterling; a house that in 2001 had sold to the previous owner for 33,000 sterling so, you can see over a 100% price increase. I worked for a company that had been on the UK High Street since the late 1800's and felt safe in the knowlefge that I'd both bought a house at a price I could afford and worked for a company that would stay the course, no matter the severity that hit it. I gained my mortgage from Northern Rock.

In December 2006, Littlewoods was desolved as a High Street brand and its 77 fully owned Shop buildings in desirable settings were sold off throughout 2007. I was made unemployed.

January and February 2007 were spent unsuccesfully trying to find work and, with the free time I had between interviews I started looking through web sites such as You Tube and found many many films and posts filled with people talking about asset bubbles and the UK housing markets. I knew that the party was almost over and decided to sell up the house and downsize as quickly as I could. Amazingly, the house sold for 94,500 Sterling and with the profit I went away with a fistful of cash and bought a narrow boat (google and you'll want one!) outright.

In November of 2007 Northern Rock went belly-up and was bailed out by England gaining a 18 billion Sterling loan from China; a cause and effect calamity begun with the sub-prime debacle reaching its pinacle in the USA. At this point I started to breath a sigh of relief that I'd climbed out of the worst the bursting housing bubble could bring. How wrong could you be.

In February 2008 the price of a barrel of crude oil began to wander close and then hit $100 in March and, with my curiosity climbing as to why this was happening, finally struck on the subject known as peak oil. A site on You Tube has been built by a teacher who goes by the name 'Wonderingmind42' and he happened to have a complete set of films up on a lecture by Dr Albert A Bartlett on population growth and energy. You can imagine, I was climbing the walls when this film was combined with the 2005 film 'The End Of Suburbia'; with the spiritually defunct but highly passionate James Howard Kunstler and Richard Heinberg telling it "How It Is".

This is the point where I was talking to as many people as I could about what was about to hit in the world of finance and a barrel of oil hitting $147 a barrel on July the 11th. And how many people were paying attention to what I was saying as I put my boat up for sale and made the decision to buy a farm house in Hungary to self sustain? Three, out of three hundred.

Then, by chance I found Chris Martensons site at the end of August and, all the dots I'd been trying to join finally came together in a sickening crunch. To me, it was like an apiphany but, still nobody could grasp what the films were explaining, no matter how many different ways I tried. I started to feel like that Greek character 'Cassandra', who had been given the power of fore-sight but, at the same time her proffacy were not believed.

On the 27th of September, I drove out of the marina for the last time with the sale of the boat completed. I've stayed in touch with friends as best you can by email and, it was only after the back end of November and the begining of December that I started finding messages along the lines of what I'd been saying. Now in January, 4 out of 10 friends have lost their jobs and are struggling with mortgage payments. Amazingly, not one of them has asked me for Chris Martensons website address and none of them remember why I chose to head to Hungary. I offered my reasons to leave the UK many times and they didn't listen. Does that beggar belief?

It seems that Gordan Brown is the cause by what I'm reading yet, you and I know he's just the 'Patsy'. As bad as it is being described in the newspapers of England right now, It is only being described in the newspapers that have news worth reading. They are, The Times, The Guardian and The Independent. Sadly, the masses are reading, The Mirror, The Star and The Sun. News that entertains and fudges the truth. Fortunately, there is a reckoning coming where these latter newspapers will make good 'Toilet Paper'. With modern newspapers designed as they are today, at least they don't leave so much newsprint where the sun don't shine.

Climax Of The Fall Is Now In View :-

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/climax-fall-now-view/11976

...which I put up onto Chris's site on Wednesday last week is a very good measure for the amount of people finally getting the message that they need to not just sit and talk to 'Web Friends' but also to begin preparing themselves with plenty of food and the knowledge as to how to create their own. It has also shown with nearly 2100 hits and over 60 comments in and around the subject that many that are at different stages of acceptance. It is a pity that when you walk out into the street and overhear peoples conversation, the majority have not a clue as to what is yet to come.

I always write - 'I wonder where we'll be in fifteen years with this house of cards' - at the end of my messages. Wonder Indeed...

Paul

Michael Höhne's picture
Michael Höhne

Hi Paul,

As you are from the UK, I believe that you'll enjoy David Icke. He is a journalist researching the power behind the scenes for more than 20 years and he does a great job in connecting the points. His website provides a lot of information and it's up to you how much you are willing to believe. I think he's right entirely and I suggest viewing his Big Brother video. Almost three hours in length, but so fascinating that you will watch it to the end.

All the best for you in Hungary. 

Michael 

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

David Icke- Humans transform to Reptiles

Sometimes when I drink too much this happens,

Greg

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Greg,

thats a wonderful retort; you beat me to it!!! I was going to use this one I remember watching in the 90's where Terry Wogan said to David Icke in so many words, "they're not laughing with you, they're laughing at you". :-

...to go back 14 years later and be ridiculed again?

Micheal,

I may be English, but the connection to David Icke just ends at that point. He's killed his reputation right at the begining of his career as a member of an elite group who hunt out the New World Order by having an extremely public nervous breakdown on national television.

I'm not going to condemn his points or you however, because I want to build a foundation built on more level ground. Firstly though, I want to apologise to Sam, who's thread is becoming decimated away from its subject matter with each and every added comment.

Micheal, you're right, there are powers that are manipulating the world; it being a stage ground for mistakes made in our past with public funded influence and an enormous amount of ignorance. The more people are being sidetracked to watch X Factor instead of involving themselves in the politics that effect there own and there childrens futures, the more power is placed into the hands of those that make the decisions.

Take a look at my user name here. I have a secret I'll share with you. It isn't Vanityfox that needs to be analysed but the numbers '451'. Those numbers represent the temperture for which paper spontaneously combusts. It's in referrence to a book by Ray Bradbury who wrote a book called 'Farenheit 451'. In Wikipedia, they write of the book :-

Fahrenheit 451 is a dystopian speculative fiction novel authored by Ray Bradbury and first published in 1953.

The novel presents a future American society in which the masses are hedonistic, and critical thought through reading is outlawed. The central character, Guy Montag, is employed as a "fireman" (which, in this future, means "book burner"). The number "451" refers to the temperature (in Fahrenheit) at which the books burn[1] when the "firemen" burn them "for the good of humanity". Written in the early years of the Cold War, the novel is a critique of what Bradbury saw as an increasingly dysfunctional American society."

...You and I are living in a time where the majority don't read books on worthy subject for growth but generally trash. It lines up with Peter Finch in the film Network here :-

...I believe a great many people that find themselves coming to Chris Martensons site are starting to use 'Critical Thinking' for the first time in their lives. But, the reality again is in the choices we give others to make. Take this piece I found recently and ask yourself if America has been governed inteligently by a world order if all of its natural resources are being used up because of over population and immigration :-

...if you build a nation beyond its borders you end up invading other nations. The state of Israel has been squeezing out pallestine for the last generation. Its a generation unlike any other because, as population has been climbing, so politics has been squeezing out the land base for all Pallestinians :-

and this is that reality :-

" GAZA, Jul 10 (IPS) - Crowded into a tiny strip of territory of 360 square kilometres, plagued by poverty, malnutrition and unemployment, Gaza's 1.5 million people face a demographic time bomb as the fragile infrastructure struggles to cope with a soaring birth rate.

"We are looking at a political and socio-economic breakdown as financial deprivation and desperation, combined with political instability continue to rise in Gaza," Masshoor Basisy, director general of planning at the Palestinian Authority (PA) Ministry for Women's Affairs told IPS.

Basisy said a combination of cultural, social, political and historical factors was behind the continuing high birth rate despite the endemic poverty and lack of opportunity.

"What is needed is governmental intervention by the PA to reverse this crisis. But the PA doesn't have the courage to tackle this issue which is taboo here," he said.

Osama Abu Eta, spokesman for the UN Population Fund in Gaza, confirmed to IPS that there were no government birth control programmes in the Palestinian territories but only ones related to post and pre-natal health.

According to the CIA, the population growth rate for the Gaza Strip is 3.66 percent. This compares with an international growth rate of 1.14 percent. The median age of Gaza's population is 16.2 years for males and 16.1 years for females. More than 47 percent of the population is below 14. The average family in Gaza has 5.51 children.

Gaza's per capita gross domestic product (GDP) stood at just over 5,000 dollars in 2006. This was before the sanctions and embargo took hold, further decimating an already weakened economy. Unemployment stands at around 50 percent, according to Oxfam, while 60 percent of the population lives below the poverty line, according to the UN.

International studies have proven a correlation between women's access to education, and employment opportunities, and a declining birth rate. Palestinian women, however, generally have higher rates of education than Arab women in the surrounding countries where birth rates have been slowly declining, partly due to government intervention. "

My own opinion is there are just too many people to govern and the results work something like this :-

...If you'd directed me to Naomi Wolf :-

...that would have spoken volumes to me.

Paul

Davos's picture
Davos

Hello Paul:

Looks like it will be a tight race indeed. Reminds me of how Enron was insolvent, once people realized that the lights went out. Take care

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Vanityfox451 wrote:

Hi Sam,

we've stumbled upon each other on a few threads over the last week or so and, even though we haven't written directly I consider you to be on the 'same page' in many of your discussions over the months where I read more at Chrs Martensons site than I wrote.

<snip>

I always write - 'I wonder where we'll be in fifteen years with this house of cards' - at the end of my messages. Wonder Indeed...

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your very interesting story. I am curious as to why you chose Hungary as the place to ride out all the insanity to come?

Like you, and many others on this site, I've come to the conclusion that I'd be better off on a farm somewhere "out of the line of fire". However, like many others, I don't see a way of accomplishing that.

While my wife accepts and understands my concerns regarding the current state of affairs, asking her to move away from our daughter and grandchildren - well, I might as well bang my head bloody against a brick wall for all the good it would do!  So, I will just do what I've always done which is to increase my emergency preparedness activities to the extent possible and hope that we can survive what will come.

Thanks for the link to "Climax Of The Fall Is Now In View" as I hadn't read any of it until today - quite a range of thoughts. One of the troubles I've had on this site is trying to keep up with all the discussions (I can't, it's just too much), so it's useful when someone references another link that pertains to the current discussion.

I wish you luck in Hungary!

BTW, when I see someone talking about "shape shifting reptiles", I quickly lose all interest in anything else they've talked about!

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Hi Sam,

It is a major cultural shock to the system but an ideal escape for the foreseeable future. My partner originates from Hungary and, it appears the only solution we could find. Many of the people here in the south of the country still to this day, pickle and bottle vegetables, keep chickens for eggs and meat and grow crop. The land is remarkably inexpensive and usually includes a slightly crumbly house in some form of dis-repair. Ours translates to about $10,000 and represents 5 acres of land with a 1 bedroom house built in 1922, complete with out-buildings and a barn but without running water; a well suffices for the time-being though the electrics won't as they were plumbed in in 1952!! Chopping wood warms you twice as they say and the house is incredibly warm even in minus 10 degrees centregrade because the walls are close to a half metre thick and made from mud brick and straw.

There is a downside if you want to buy a property here though, because you can buy a house on its own as a non-citizen but you have to be Hungarian to buy any substantial land for growing crop.

My advise to anyone on this site would be to buy a wood burning stove as they're as ecologically friendly as you can get in regards to the energy -sink and we're already in the process of planting saplings next to the mature trees for future firewood. In all we have free heat and free water inside the purchase of the house.

The downside is that many of the people in the surounding farms are still busy growing mono-crops like wheat and corn with 'Monsanto' style terminator seeds and none sustainable natural gas nitrite fertilizer. The price here has already shot upto 3 x what people were paying for this type of fertilizer last January because of the oil price and, some of the land is visibly suffering from this practice of growing the same crop year on year without changing or cycling the crop. It doesn't compare with Ohio though, where I gather Combine Harvesters can be known to harvest corn by driving for 12 hours at 15 miles an hour without turning around!! These practices are few and far between on the plains of southern Hungary thankfully.

I feel my advice to you Sam, rather than 'Banging Your Head Bloody Against A Wall', is to consider moving everyone out or in one place together. Everyone needs to get the message in your family that 2009 is going to become one of the ugliest years in history and 2010 will match it and more. I can't describe how I'm really feeling right now other than terrified for friends and family who just don't get the bigger picture we're facing. It's the comfort that we call home wherever we are providing those things that make home are to hand and safe. I care nothing for possesions like all the toys we build up over a life-time. Infact, what comes to mind is a conversation with friends years ago about the five things you most value saving if your house was on fire. It might well surprise you if you give this a try, but please don't take me literally and set fire to your house...

In regards to the links here on Chris Martenson, it gets to the stage where you can be loading one page after another if like me you're of a mind to many interests in varying subjects. I find myself trying to follow many threads and, if you're pulled away for a day you can struggle to re-group.

The only major luxury here is this computer and t-mobile internet that cost an arm and a leg and 'Hungarian-Getting-The-Job-Done-When-We-Feel-Like-It', in place. The news here is useless to me and my partner struggles with translation after becoming rusty with her native language after living in England for nearly 10 years. The other thing about the television and newspaper news here is that it is subject to 'bending and subdefuge' if you get my meaning; very much 'aka' Fox News in America. Drives me to distraction when the majority here still haven't figured out that 90% of the oil and gas piped to Hungary comes from Russia. If you check out Russia in decline at various websites linked to The Oil Drum you'll find their production figures have been dropping since 2007. With Georgia's little debacle last year and the Ukraine siffening gas (apparently) last month, it's only a matter of time before Hungary doesn't have street lights - if you see what I mean?

As I Said before, 'I wonder where we'll be in 15 years with this house of cards'...

Take Care,

Paul  

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

I've added these 2 links as I feel they have great relevance :-

The Crash Of 1929

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7233622324068640582&hl=en

America Of The 1930's (Could this become the future of the USA for a second time?)

http://people.tribe.net/albionmoonlite/blog/dbfed29a-69f9-499e-a3e3-d8b5ae58c9ca

Paul

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Vanityfox451 - I thoroughly enjoyed your story and applaud your moxie. I admire people who take action rather than wishing. I would not second guess your choice to take on a more independent and self-sustainable life in order to better survive and possibly prosper through the coming calamity. What you have done is both courageous and responsible, especially if you intend on raising a family.

My route is different. Yes, I have prepared myself financially as best I can for now. And yes, I am preparing in other ways but I am not leaving my area as I intend on staying and I will continue to be a passionate advocate against the tyranny that infests our nations.

I think the central banks and their satellite banks are the greatest threat to humanity. We are fast approaching a critical point whereby humanity will suffer indescribably because private banks steer our collective futures by enslaving us in debt. Without economic freedom, both physical and political liberty are
meaningless. Their existence depends almost totally upon financial
freedom.

So, I will stay so that I might help bring in a new revolution. By a revolution, I really mean a financial awakening by the people.

We live in what may only be called "dark ages." We are lied to and deceived every day by our leaders, media and politicians. Our awakening will be a renaissance -  the people will realize that all prosperity flows from their production - it is not created by banks. And all power flows from the people - not from governments.  

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

DrKrby, 

I wish you well with your future, but please, stay ahead with the news. Watching all of this ever unfolding feels to me like numb-euphoria and, if that sounds like a contradiction, its supposed to be!

What is worrying me most is the vacuum left over from this destruction of the banking system - on the one side I visualise ulteria motives and manipulation of this system so as to better advance something on the horizon as yet unforseen - on the other hand I worry for the safety of you and the rest of those who choose to stay behind in what I can only see as the final step before the fall, and that is civil unrest on a grand scale.

In both our cases, we're working to sustain a life for future generations. For myself, with so many sacrifices to our lifestyle already, it is for my childrens sake that I do it. 

Take Care,

Paul

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments