Bringing up the Taboo subject of mass change

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
scbt's picture
scbt
Bringing up the Taboo subject of mass change

I feel that a DVD is essential to spreading the concepts of this course.  It's one thing to give a like minded person the website address, but it's a whole other thing to give someone a DVD with the course in their hand.

So far I've sat pretty much idly and soaked in as much information as I can.  I feel I have a good idea of what we are in store for us over the next 5 months, 5 years, whatever the case may be.  The problem I WILL have is how do I state the severity of the situation we are in?  I've already thought out my plan of attack.  I've suggested the website to maybe 10 like minded individuals already (I've forced my wife to watch the Crash Course by submitting to a pedicure that she's been trying to give me for the last 5 years and made her watch it on my laptop, we're only on chapter 14 so far), but this subject is much easily broached with a person that has already bought in. Everyone in my family will be getting a copy of this DVD whether they like it or not.  Some friends and co workers will be getting this DVD.  I guess my main concern is how does one deal with the inevitable statement that this is causing the problem you are trying to prevent.  I feel strongly that this message is important to anyone trying to navigate in the economy/life, but as this message continues to grow exponentially, as it is currently doing in particular with this website, this is a question that will need to be answered.  I find it difficult to come up with an answer to the anticipated statement to me that I'm a fear mongerer or part of the problem of panic spreading without myself becoming very emotional and irrational to an outside observer.

I feel that once people start receiving the DVDs, the concept will start spreading even faster that it already has, and with it will come some strong criticism and we need to be able to articulate a stronger response.

NLP's picture
NLP
Re: Bringing up the Taboo subject of mass change

This subject is addressed in a variety of ways on several forums previous.  You are not alone in your concern.  I have been thinking about this and reached the following conclusions:

1. Prior to DVD release, trying to share the CC (Crash Course) message has been difficult with those outside one's personal circle of influence because directing them to a website can be easily dismissed.  (For that matter those in one's personal circle of influence often dismiss as well and we resort to friendly coersion, ie pedicures! to open them to SEE and HEAR).
  2. Several in this CC community have been successful on creating viewing opportunities in their communities. With like-minded individuals they are seeing incremental growth in acceptance of the message and a desire to ACT.

These are steps in the right direction but will falter if actions do not equal CHANGE or SHIFT in direction.  It is necessary to start finding concrete examples of how acceptance of CC has resulted in actual CHANGE for an individual, a family, a community etc.  How has life become different for anyone after learning about the CC and its key concepts?  Other than the Martenson Family we have no examples of how the information in the CC altered anyone in any real way. The best way to address the criticism that may follow a mass distribution of the DVD message is to have quantifiable or concrete examples showing how the CC message encouraged change in behavior for businesses, communities, families, individuals.

Yes, we see testimonials on this site.  Yes, many here openly share about how their lives were already different than the status quo before finding the CC.  But what about those hearing and accepting the CC key concepts for the first time?  What actual changes have been made in their lives as a result of the CC?  If we can't point this out, I think the CC message will be looked at as fringe and remain easy to dismiss on a large scale. 

tom.'s picture
tom.

There is nothing you can do but expose people to what you consider important, the rest is up to them. In my opinion, it's like when I heard Bob Dylan for the first time in 1966 ... in short it's either REAL for you, or it's not ... yet.

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat

Hi scbt,

Thanks for your important and thoughtful post. I'd like to take the time to respond to some of your queries with my take on things and hopefully you take the time to read them.

scbt wrote:

The problem I WILL have is how do I state the severity of the situation we are in? 

I too wonder about this because I don't want to either 1) alarm those who are intelligent enough to listen and to grasp/appreciate the problems we face or 2) put off/turn off those who may or may not listen because my message is too strong. For this particular issue I humbly evoke techniques long used in Eastern schools of thought, ones that really boil down to knowing your student (in this case the person you're trying to turn on to these problems). However, this can be even more of a challenge because it requires a personalization of the message of the CC for each person you encounter. Not only that, but you must decide how to play it so to speak with each person you want to take the time to address these issues with.

So maybe for the person who's financially and economically illiterate you could first address the magic of fractional reserve lending and how money is created (in straight forward terms obviously) and the problems of debt.

For the Bush/McCain voter you could paint things in terms of national security and how our faltering economy is weakening the country and making it less safe.

For the prototypical suburbanite, who perhaps knows a bit about finance and the economy, you could take the energy angle and try to get them to really understand how vital oil is to everything in their amenity-filled lives.

scbt wrote:

I guess my main concern is how does one deal with the inevitable statement that this is causing the problem you are trying to prevent.  I feel strongly that this message is important to anyone trying to navigate in the economy/life, but as this message continues to grow exponentially, as it is currently doing in particular with this website, this is a question that will need to be answered.  I find it difficult to come up with an answer to the anticipated statement to me that I'm a fear mongerer or part of the problem of panic spreading without myself becoming very emotional and irrational to an outside observer.

First let me respond by saying that this is an absurd argument or sentiment to have and is evoked as a defense mechanism by those who raise it. However, obviously, it doesn't change the fact that it will be raised. To me it's kind of like pointing out to someone that the house across the street is on fire and then upon learning this fact they claim that the cause of the fire is you pointing out that the house is on fire. This sentiment and its popularity within our culture clearly overlaps with the concept of the self-fulfilling prophecy, which vaguely states, well, if you have cancer, just imagine that you dont' have cancer and you'll be cured. Again, completely absurd. Stated in less facetious terms people are basically saying that if one avoids dealing with problems or denies that they exist then they will go away (because they didn't exist in the first place) or the problems will self-mitigate. Or perhaps they are saying that to look closely at problems or to come to the conclusion that your problems are serious is to actually make them problems or make them more serious ones.

But my question is how do we combat such logical absurdity.

Well, I think what's made our problems so serious isn't that we've looked at them for so long, obsessed over them and therefore blown them out of proportion, but specifically that we haven't looked at them at all or given them any sober consideration.

Our problems exist in the first place and are so serious precisely because we've never dealt with them, not because (as the polly-annas claim) that we blow them out of proportion. I mean, aside from the mainstream media talking about the "economic crisis" over the past couple of months and the rhetorical phrase "dependence on foreign oil" becoming an indispensable talking point of politicians of all stripes, popular discourse of the topics addressed in the CC is basically non-existent and where it is present its depth of discourse is infantile. But America and Americans tend to not be that self-reflective and many ideologies popular within our culture see self-reflection as a sort of weakness or even self-loathing, so this paucity of inward looking is hardly surprising.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

i second npeykaniand mainecooncat

i have shown the cc in my town and we now have a dialog group started to look at change (time banks, local currency, ecovillages etc.)

we will be arranging for paul glover to come in the spring to give a presentation on local currency .

i was accused by a friend of being caught up in the negativity. well to be honest i am caught up in the negativity but i am interested in finding solutions. as for creating an atmosphere of fear and adding to the problem this is the stupidest argument i have ever heard and i hear it often.

suppose you walk into a doctors office and you get the news  you have cancer. what do you do say "well i am not going to get caught up in the negativity"? of course that is denial and the first stage of awareness. people are in different stages of awareness and you have to honor that yet at the same time do what you can to alert them to a very real problem.

i would suggest that of the over two million people who lost their jobs this year not one watched the cc. how does the cc contribute to the problem.

i think just in my own experience 95% of the people do NOT get it. i sent the link to a physics prof and he watched bubbles and peak oil and said it was good work and would recommend it. unfortunately he missed the point that the cc is a synthesis of th eeconomy energy and the environment................they are all linked. the creation of money is intimately linked with peak oil. this is a difficult concept for well educated people to get and even harder to the vast majority of americans of whom at least 20% are illiterate. this is an uphill battle and we are in the beginning.

it is well to remember that the next twenty years will be significantly different from the last 20. many americans have not felt the problem yet. over 80% are still working  and think most of this is not affecting them.

and finally i would add as chris has stated he reserves the right to change his position should new info present itself.

so the answer i give is " you know i may be wrong (hard to believe) but what does it cost you to make preparations  for you and you family just in case i am right and things will get worse?"

i dont think my actions would have been the same if i had not seen the cc and i for one am grateful for it

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
joe2baba wrote:

i was accused by a friend of being caught up in the negativity.

Ha! I love people who say this. Especially those who present it in a pull-you-to-the-side-of-the-room, extra-sincere moment. The absurdity (for lack of a better word, I know I used it about ten times in my post above) of this is realized if one considers the inverse sentiment. So the opposite of negativity would be positivity and the inverse of the tiny fraction of people addressing these isssues is the 99% of those who don't. Does this then mean that the person who expresses such a sentiment is "caught up in all the positivity"? 

emdiaz's picture
emdiaz

Most people don't care about how money is made or the trade deficit.  They do not understand how this will be pay and they do not consider it will be pay by them.  They do not think the national debt is their debt.  My best friend told me that nobody wants to talk to another of or friend because he only talks about negative things. That was her way of telling me that my friend do not want to listen to whatever I have to say.  My brother a finance mayor told me to send him the link because what I was saying was not true.  That was 2 month ago and he has not have time to look at it.  My in-laws told me that they are always saying that things are going to be bad but everything is still the same.  When I told them that rice is 100% more expensive now than in January so I have one year storage of it.  They told me that it was easy for me because I do not eat rice every day as they do.  They totally miss the point.   I will give the DVD to friend and family even though I think a lot of them will not even look at it. I was thinking to have a get together so people can watched as they have a free drink.  Most people do not care about storing food, buying gold or planting your own food.   Nobody wants to think that live is going to change.  I think that is the reason why the stores were full on Black Friday. People were buying stuff that they know they will not be able to get later.   

Evelyn

kahibe's picture
kahibe

Basically...you can only provide an opportunity to learn something....you can't force interest in...or knowlege of....something on someone.  It could be that generally this country will gradually deal effectively with the issues on the way...or the changes might be gradual enough that necessity forces some changes.

So far...for many people the whatever hasn't really hit the fan....yet.  And there will always be those who think things will just go back to normal eventually...including myself at times.

Those in charge will likely continue to deny a lot of the problems coming...though it may be that the current change in leadership might make some difference.

Best thing I think anyone can do is to make REAL changes in their own lives and maybe find like minded people to share plans with.  Major efforts to "convert" people just wastes valuable time and energy needed to do things that really count...like getting yourself prepared in real ways.

I've seen it myself and with other people...an interest develops in a subject...then real change is subverted by the "need" to tell other people about it.

Conclusion?  I think people will need to more or less pretend that things are normal...and for many people they still are.  And to be able to fuction day to day...you can't really go around screaming about the sky falling.  But you can get prepared for what is possible...and what may be probable.

Like food and water storage...etc.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

Scbt, do you think I can get my husband to watch the crash course if I promise him a manicure?:)  Love it!   

kidz kargo's picture
kidz kargo

Great post,

I find myself in a similar position.  I've ordered 100 copies of the DVD and pretty much will be giving it to everyone.  Being an economics major in college, I feel that it is my duty to do so.  I've already mentioned (not quite coerced but close) the CC to many of my friends and family and it has been met with a fairly large diversity of responses. Many have shrugged it aside.  I think in part because it is painful and difficult to engage with the truthful concepts that are candidly outlined in the CC.  People don't want to be wrong about the decisions they have made.  They want to hope for better times rather than prepare for worse times.  It is a function of the stages of awareness and many would rather be willfully ignorant because it simply feels better and is easier now to do so.  I myself have been like this in the past so I can empathize with the feeling.  Someone has to come to a place of acceptance to really hear what's being offered.

Other's have really embraced the CC and have ran with it and are sharing it with others.  They have taken the torch from me and are handing it to others.

Interestingly, several I know who have dismissed the CC at first seem to know where to come once they want to really start asking serious questions.  So, I look at it like I'm planting seeds when you share this info. with others.  Some will run with it right away because they are ready, others will need to experience more pain before they want to really know what is going on.

For your acquaintances, there isn't much you can do.  Speak as their friends as one who cares about them.  Always be available to talk with them.  For your family and close friends, I suppose you can go further and start preparing for them, so that when tougher times come, you can give them a head start.  Buy some extra rice, some extra silver/gold, some extra seeds, whatever.

Ultimately, take comfort in that you are embracing and delivery the info to those who you care about.  It really shows that you care for them.  Unfortunately, your actions won't always land on eager minds.  It will take time for many to really accept that the way things have gone for the past 30-40 years can't keep going this way.  It's sort of like death, it takes time to really process the reality.  The information presents people with a massive problem that logically requires a big change.  Many people are deeply fearful of change, others are lazy, others are shrewd and take it to heart.  Good luck!

Futuo's picture
Futuo

There is a definite need for resources to assist in the spreading of the message. Those of us who are part of the Volunteer Brigade here have, along with Chris & Team, identified these guides and materials as necessary projects to be completed asap. That being said, there's still a ton of work left to do. All i'm really saying is, you aren't alone in your sentiments. You'd be surprised by the number of people who have shared the crash course and have really good experience that we can all learn from, yet there is a definite need for testimonial compilation, FAQ development, activity kits, etc...all stuff we're trying to work on =]

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Negativity is all we have

Caught up in the negativity? What else do we have right now EXCEPT negativity? Give me a break. If someone tells you this, Joe, that's a big red light over the head of the speaking sheep, it's blinking and it says DENIAL in big letters. I challenge everyone on this website to tell me anything that is a light at the end of the tunnel synopsis right now, because the light is out at the end of the tunnel.

gyrogearloose's picture
gyrogearloose
Re: Negativity is all we have
krogoth wrote:

I challenge everyone on this website to tell me anything that is a light at the end of the tunnel synopsis right now, because the light is out at the end of the tunnel.

Well actually there is a light, but it is just the train coming the other way...... ;-)

Nichoman's picture
Nichoman
gyrogearloose wrote:
krogoth wrote:

I challenge everyone on this website to tell me anything that is a light at the end of the tunnel synopsis right now, because the light is out at the end of the tunnel.

Well actually there is a light, but it is just the train coming the other way...... ;-)

Key Decision-makers don't see the problem which is them and continued actions.   "Economic Madness" best phrase can describe things.   Frown 

Nichoman

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

of course zo he is in denial. he is very spiritual in a very love and light way. he is also not being affected by what is happening in the economy ......yet.

i have a great deal of compassion for him and we have some lovely discussions. i have to honor his position if i expect him to honor mine.

as for your question of what else we have other than negativity, i have my own answer which you can accept or deny.

i have been in construction most of my adult life. i have built many buildings and have done a ton of remodeling.

what i learned from this is you have to tear down the old to build the new. it takes a lot to do this but ou have to start from a solid foundation.

the foundation is now being laid for massive worldwide change. this is necessarily a painful process. it is also difficult and complicated. i see many more people waking up in many different ways. i see many more people becoming empowered.

this to me is the light at the end of the tunnel. this are exciting times. chris even mentions this in the cc you can live in fear or it can be exhilirating.

but i think it goes deeper than this. there is a spiritual component which has been briefly touched on here on this site. i am not talking about a religious aspect as what came up a couple of months ago but a spiritual view which can enliven our views and actions. there is much more to life than the economy humanity has been here a long time. we lived without all the things the petrochemical industry has provided us for tens of thousands of years. of course life was very different and not something any of us would choose  to return to but we are on the cusp of the creation of that which will come next.

think gandhi.

i am inspired by many of the people on this site such as matrix, npeykani, switters et al. it is early on in the game

on my blog at serfinfonetwork.blogspot.com my last post explores this viewpoint. i would like to hear your response to it if you have the time. the title is freedom

on a personal note look at the blessings in your life such as your family and the opportunities we have to bring as much love to everyone we  can. it is tough being on the front lines but this is where we find ourselves and i dont think it is an accident.

just remember we are making a difference and you in particular have made a difference in my life. that's the light bro.

om shanti

joe

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt

I challenge everyone on this website to tell me anything that is a
light at the end of the tunnel synopsis right now, because the light is
out at the end of the tunnel.

There have been worse times.

"The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is a term used to describe four horsemen that appear in the Christian Bible in chapter six of the Book of Revelation. The four horsemen are traditionally named after what the verses describe them bringing: Strife, War, Famine and Death; only Death, however, is directly named in the Bible."

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Re: Negativity is all we have- NEWS

I agree that the light is our friendships, family and community. It WILL be the light that keeps us going no matter what good or bad comes our way. It will be the bond that keeps us together, strong and ready for change. My life is not surrounded by negativity, its the world reporting it that makes me turn off my TV. When I meant a challenge, I meant more of show me an example of news or current events that show a positive situation. We are like at 99.9% negative on the news right now, and it's not like most of the time it's this way, but some positives, if we have them, should be reported as well.

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Book of Revelation

The Book of Revelation is the only interesting part of the King James Bible

Nichoman's picture
Nichoman
joe2baba wrote:

but i think it goes deeper than this. there is a spiritual component which has been briefly touched on here on this site. i am not talking about a religious aspect as what came up a couple of months ago but a spiritual view which can enliven our views and actions. there is much more to life than the economy humanity has been here a long time. we lived without all the things the petrochemical industry has provided us for tens of thousands of years. of course life was very different and not something any of us would choose  to return to but we are on the cusp of the creation of that which will come next.

think gandhi

Well stated!   People could learn a lot from Gandhi's life...actions...words.  Prefer spiritual philosophy w/r/t how we live facilitating our best human virtues...values.

Nichoman

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt
Re: Book of Revelation

The Book of Revelation is the only interesting part of the King James Bible

The Bible doesn't get any more negative than that. For what it's worth, those prophecies were dead wrong.

krogoth's picture
krogoth

Yea but it's pretty cool science fiction!

gyrogearloose's picture
gyrogearloose

Oops, forgot to mention it was Bernanke driving the train.....LaughingCry

Have read some of his transcribed speeches, and I find they occasionally lack logical consistency.

So far I can only see two conclusions, he knows better and are deliberately trying to misdirect people or he is truly unable to see his lack of logical consistency.

Dont know which is worse.

Cheers Hamish

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

come on zo ..............the news?

good news does not sell................fires and car crashes sell.....................economic crashes sell best.

here is one that will never see the light of day. dateline .....dominican republic

representatives  of a touch of love ( a non profit based in ventura california) have delivered over $130k 

worth of much needed medicine in the last year to the poor of this island nation. one shipment ( which was carried in luggage)

arrived with a load of antibiotics at the local  clinic in the day the doctor ran out.

touch of love does charitable work in india, ghana argentina and the dominican republic.

it supports education (especially of girls) medical care and vocational training.

anyone interested in supoorting this work can visit atouchoflove.org

keep on smilin zo god loves you..........she really does

krogoth's picture
krogoth

Yes, even my beloved BBC World is getting pretty negative. Guess it's time to watch Discovery channel and try to guess which helicopter is the best in the top 10.  

switters's picture
switters
Negativity is NOT all we have
krogoth wrote:

Caught up in the negativity? What else do we have right now EXCEPT negativity? Give me a break. If someone tells you this, Joe, that's a big red light over the head of the speaking sheep, it's blinking and it says DENIAL in big letters. I challenge everyone on this website to tell me anything that is a light at the end of the tunnel synopsis right now, because the light is out at the end of the tunnel.

I will gladly take up your challenge, krogoth and I think Chris already in certain parts of the CC and on this site.

The answer to your questions largely depends upon perspective.  If you are attached to a way of life based on profligate consumption and materialism (the "American way", that is) then most certainly there is no light at the end of the tunnel.  This lifestyle is coming to an end, and those that are identified with and accustomed to it are definitely going to suffer.  

However, if you're one of the folks who has always thought that the "American way" is an insane, unappealing and completely unsustainable way of living then there absolutely is a light at the end of the tunnel.  The tunnel may be long, and dark, but for the person who is disenchanted with how things are now there is probably a better life waiting for them at the other end.

What do I mean?  This:

• The relocalization of commerce and trade will rebuild relationships between the producers of products and those that buy them.  This leads to richer and more vibrant community life.
  • People will need to come together to work with their neighbors on food, water and energy security.  This won't be easy in all cases, but many will feel more of a sense of belonging and connection in their neighborhoods and communities.  This is a basic human need that has been unmet for the vast majority of people in the US.
  • As consumption continues to decrease, people will have to find other things to do to entertain themselves.  They might invite some friends over, play a game, learn a musical instrument, start a new hobby, etc.  These activities are ultimately much more rewarding and satisfying than shopping at the mall.
  • Many will begin to grow their own food out of necessity.  In doing this they'll re-establish a connection/relationship with the land that has been largely missing from modern life.  Again, this connection is basic to human nature and the lack of it is partially responsible for the alienation and depression that is so prevalent in modern life.
  • As the economy continues to contract, a large number of jobs that aren't relevant to meeting basic human needs will be eliminated.  This is actually a good thing, as those jobs are likely to be the least meaningful and rewarding for the people who work them.  In the future many more people will be engaged in activities that directly benefit their community, and are thus much more fulfilling.

In short, many people will find more satisfaction in a less energy-dense world with a slower pace of life, stronger local communities and more meaningful work and leisure activities.

I'l be the first one to admit that this transition won't be smooth, and may take a long time to complete.  But the truth is that anyone who wants to make the changes I've listed above doesn't have to wait around to for the world to collapse.  Relocalization movements are already active in many cities and towns.  One can voluntarily reduce consumption, stop watching TV, and spend their time learning new skills and hobbies and connecting more with friends and loved ones.  Plenty of people are already growing their own food, reducing energy use, securing access to water, and working with their communities and neighbors on energy security.

I started making some of these changes 15 years ago because I was disgusted by the "American way".  I did not want to participate in the consumer trance that perpetuates this insane lifestyle that has brought the world to the brink of disaster.  And you know what?  I am so much happier and more fulfilled than I was when I was still stuck in the "matrix".

The standard of living has been rising steadily in the U.S. for the past 50 years, and yet surveys show that Americans are no happier than they were in the 1950s.  In many ways we are less happy as a people than we were then.  So, although these changes we're going through are going to be painful and difficult, I definitely believe there's a light at the end of the tunnel. 

In fact, there's a light at the beginning of the tunnel for anyone who wants to begin now.

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt

If you are attached to a way of life based on profligate consumption
and materialism (the "American way", that is) then most certainly there
is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Holy Cow! I'm doomed and didn't know it.

It is true that money doesn't buy happiness; but it sure helps.Money mouth

kahibe's picture
kahibe

Unfortunately...those with considerable financial resources will be the first to feel the heat if social order breaks down.  Those with property will become targets?  Gangs and robberies.

I think things will change...we are going from Tard in Charge who has wanted overextended people and the govt to buy even more on credit...to someone who at least seems to be cognizant of the ground under our feet?

We actually need someone to get real with the herd and let them know where things really stand....if they aren't fed continual bullsh*t...some might even get sensible and constructive.

Things will change...but will it be too late?

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
hewittr wrote:

The Book of Revelation is the only interesting part of the King James Bible

The Bible doesn't get any more negative than that. For what it's worth, those prophecies were dead wrong.

When Switters opened the fourth seal, I
heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, "Come!" I
looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death,
and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth
of the Matrix to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the
earth.

Malthus  6:1-8.

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt

When Adam ate that forbidden fruit, he took the first shit. And the world has been polluted with sinners ever since.

When Switters opened the fourth seal,

All I saw was an empty envelope.

switters's picture
switters
kahibe wrote:

Unfortunately...those with considerable financial resources will be the first to feel the heat if social order breaks down.  Those with property will become targets?  Gangs and robberies.

That's not actually true.  It is always the poor and marginalized that are affected first, and most severely, by crises.  Why do you think they're forming gangs and doing robberies?  Because they're starving and destitute.

fredbrent's picture
fredbrent

"And the kings of the earth, who committed acts of immorality and lived sensuously with her, will weep and lament over her when they see the smoke of her burning, standing at a distance because of the fear of her torment, saying "Woe, woe, the great city, Babylon, the strong city! For in one hour your judgement has come' 

And the merchants of the earth weep and mourn over her, because no one buys their cargoes any more - cargoes of gold and silver and precious stones and pearls and fine linen and purple and silk and scarlet and every kind of citron wood and every article of ivory and every article made from very costly wood and bronze and iron and marble, and cinnamon and spice and incense and perfume and frnkincense and wine and olive oil and fine flour and wheat and cattle and sheep, and cargoes of horses and chariots and slaves and human lives. 

The fruit you long for has gone from you and all things that were luxurious and splendid have passed away from you and men will no longer find them.  The merchants of these things, who became rich from her, will stand at a distance because of the fear of her torment, weeping and mourning saying. 'Woe, woe, the great city, she who was clothed in fine linen and purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls;  for in one hour such great wealth has been laid waste! And every ship master and every passenger and sailor, and as many as make their living by the sea, stood at a distance, and were crying out as they saw the smoke of her burning."  Revelation 18:9-18

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments