Brainstorming Inventions for the Coming Age

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10
Brainstorming Inventions for the Coming Age

This tread may not go far because the truth may be that there simply are not very many ideas out there, so we'll see.

But I was reading another thread where they were discussing the use of Gobar gas which I had never heard of. I researched the experiments currently being conducted in India and discovered that people are using this methane gas from cow manure technology everyday for many purposes. Some tie the home-made manure processing units directly to the kitchen cook stove.

Others compress this gas into portable tanks for use in gasoline powered vehicles and the like.

The process could not be simpler. One constructs an air-tight chamber. An intake is located on one side where a mixture of 50% cow manure and 50% water is fed into the chamber. An outlet is located on the other side designed in such a way as the old mixture drains out of the chamber before the mixture reaches the top of the chamber leaving a space in the top.

In this space a gas accumulates consisting of about 68 per cent methane, 31 per cent carbon dioxide traces of hydrogen sulphide, nitrogen and some other goodies.

http://www.childhaven.ca/gobar.htm

You can burn this as it is, if you want. Or you can filter the gas through lime water to remove the carbon dioxide and through iron fillings to remove hydrogen sulphide. It then becomes a fairly pure methane.

About one cubic foot of gas may be generated from one pound
of cow manure at 75° F. This is enough gas to cook a
day's meals for 4-6 people. 

I had no idea that you could cook for a family all day on one pound of cow manure!

What other ideas are out there to make us more comfortable in the coming age?

I've often wondered why in areas on the grid a giant capicitor (capacitors hold electricity) cannot be invented to be charged when the grid is on, and then that stored electricty trickled out of the capicitor to be used when the grid is out.

I also have an idea for a gravity powered electrical generator which I will share late so that my posts don't get that long. 

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer
Re: Brainstorming Inventions for the Coming Age

Yes - we integrated one of these "tank systems" into our own toilet system but you failed to mention the filtration system needed. We used old tire inner tubes to pressurize the system.

In theory, you should be able to cook at least 1 meal a day from the system with just human waste, add animal waste and you could have more.

In my opinion -  a very under-utilized technology.  EGP

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10
EndGamePlayer wrote:

Yes - we integrated one of these "tank systems" into our own toilet system but you failed to mention the filtration system needed. We used old tire inner tubes to pressurize the system.

In theory, you should be able to cook at least 1 meal a day from the system with just human waste, add animal waste and you could have more.

In my opinion -  a very under-utilized technology.  EGP

Could you elaborate more on the filtration system? This was not mentioned in the articles I scanned. I assume you mean filtration of the final gas product?

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

I see a continuing trend for using reclaimed and recycled materials, although some serious improvements will be needed in the reprocessing methods so that it's not as expensive power-wise to recycle.  Some sort of safe "mining" technology needs to be devised to allow us to break open old landfills and salvage recyclable goods... possibly after we've siphoned off all the methane for power.  I think methane capture from landfills and sewage treatment plants is going to be the next big thing for power generation in cities and larger towns (or at least should be).

SPM's picture
SPM

I read a little about the methane digestion. I guess its pretty big in South America. I heard grass clippings, and excrement works. I read human excrement isnt the best for producting methane though. Apparently our digestive tracks are very efficient and remove much of the wastes that would be generated into methane. If you have livestock, you are set.

I saw another technology, that uses wood. Gassifiers/ Wood Gas Generator. I guess you still have to burn wood, but it works. I guess you can also use this one to drive your car. It also has a closed carbon cycle so the pollution from the burning wood doesnt enter the atmosphere.

SPM's picture
SPM

Jerrydon - I read that If you filter the gas through a 5 gallon bucket with water and lime, the lime, not the fruit, will absorb the CO2 mixed in with the methane, and give you a higher concentration of methane. If you also have another filter containing iron, or iron oxide powder. The iron will absorb the hydrogen sulfide in the mixture and give you much cleaner gas. So lime and Iron are your filter medias.

Actually I just saw you listed them at the end of your first post. My apologies for listing information you already knew.

SPM's picture
SPM

Capacitors aren't currently as efficient as batteries. They are working on it though.

The dielectric in capacitors permitts leakage current, and it wont hold its charge as long as a battery.

Also, the energy density that can be stored in a capacitor has been typically much smaller than a battery.

This said, they are working, and their are some new patents for capacitors that have twice the energy density of a lithium ion battery.

We also don't yet know of a way to store alternating current in a storage medium. You would need some type of circuit to generate a sinusoidal curve that replecates grid power.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments