Blog Comments: To see, or not to see

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Norbody's picture
Norbody
Blog Comments: To see, or not to see

Chris' commentary has always been about promoting awareness, not fear. I think an important part of maintaining that is to let the people talk! Preparing for the future has been much easier for me now that I have found a local support network and this website. Things can get a little scary when you can't vent, or share your observations.

The forum is a great idea, but Chris' blog posts seem to be the best conversation starters. When I read a post something will come to mind that might be helpful for someone else to read, or just helpful for myself to get out. I rarely feel motivated to head to the forum at that point; it's much easier to just comment on the blog.

So, some ideas:

-If you want to push people to the forum for conversation, put specific topic links at the end of each blog post (this way we can immediately go to the proper place to share our thoughts, sparked by the article):

-->People Reports (where we can share what we're seeing firsthand with precious metals, runs on banks, gasoline shortages, etc.)

-->Preparation Plan (where we can share ideas on how to stock up, buy/find precious metals, create a support network--the people's version of Chapter 20)

-->Praise for Chris (where Chris can go if he's feeling down)

And then if someone has a comment or question that directly relates to the BLOG, they can leave a comment. That way a newbie to the site will see on-topic discussion after each article, and the oldies will have a chance to talk shop. And, Chris will have more of a chance to respond to questions, since he won't be bogged down with our chattering.

Also--it's hard to get a conversation going on a forum. I'd scale back on how many topics there are, and just keep it to actual conversations people are having on the blog comments (observations, preparations, questions, appreciation). No one wants to join a conversation that has ZERO comments in it. And then, no one wants to join a conversation that is uber-specific. I'd get some threads going that are more generic and broad, and ask questions of the audience.

Once these threads grow, they'll naturally branch out into new topics.

Discussions always go over better in spaces that have less chairs than people. Right now we've got an auditorium, when we're looking for a coffee shop. :)

Great work! Thank you for giving Chris a hand!!! :)

Gertie & Norris

LifeisGood's picture
LifeisGood
suggestion

I complete agree with post #6: http://www.peakprosperity.com/comment/1236#comment-1236

I feel the site still has the acedemic feel to it but now we have a lot of noise. Although it is my choice to read the blog then scroll down to read comments, I just feel thatthe noise will often attract the wrong type of people.

I came to this site for the purpose of the logical and informative information but now it has turned into public domain.

I want my old Christmartenson.com back. :)

rlee's picture
rlee
Separation not a 'bad' thing

I originally came to this site for the same reasons as many of the others - the academics of it.  I will admit though that I am also one of those people who have injected an air of emotion into my comments at times.  In my (and others) defense however, is the simple fact that expodential growth patterns associated with the economic numbers that are being taught here have, in a very short time span, been thrust upon all of our daily lives.  This is all happening VERY, VERY FAST!  And as a credit to Chris and this site - he can confidently and publicly say "I (he) told you so"! 

I am in full agreement regarding some separation of pure topic discussion and commentary from emotional input.  BUT, given the times we have inherited, isn't the emotion warranted?  The forums for "What we can do", and issues surrounding the signs of change seen throughout the world by visitors here are as important to our education as the Crash Course itself.  A great number of the suggestions made thus far have fantastic merit, so I would belabor the issue repeating them, but remember that we all came to this place originally to LEARN.  I for one have learned a lot from what others have to say - topic or not - and hope to continue that education, regardless of how it is presented. 

Gentlemen:  You have a terrific site, and it contiues to get better on a daily basis.  I have also noticed a growing number of visitors from all over the globe becoming involved.  I commented in another forum discussion about what to do to get the word out, and that it should start in your own home.  The home of the internet is the world, and what you're doing is working!  DON'T SLOW DOWN!

Bob

SteveS's picture
SteveS
Blogs vs forums

Although one can choose what to read, I personally think the main page should be news, comments, additions, and corrections from 'above'. At the end you could link to a forum topic that shadowes the item.

The current forum topics break the world up into separate geographies and seem to be looking for customers. Perhaps this is not the best set of topics to seed the forum with since the economies of the world are linked and interwined. I would like to see sections dealing with topics such as 'gold and silver', 'handling IRAs, annuties, etc', 'self-sufficiency, and so on.

These of course are pretty minor, the site is great and I have learned a lot (just wish I had found out about this place six months ago).

admin's picture
admin
The geographies folders were
The geographies folders were created because of comments by several site members.  They had noted it would be good to have separate areas to discuss issues specific to their region (Japan, New Zealand, etc.).  Certainly if there's a better way to do this, or if others feel it's not all that valuable, we'd like to hear.
switters's picture
switters
I don't understand what all

I don't understand what all the fuss is about.  No one has to read the comments.  They're there for people who do.  I agree with others in that I get the most value out of Chris's in-depth, well-researched analysis of the trends.  But I've enjoyed the new format where I can also read the comments of others and get Chris's initial takes on current events (blog posts).

Reasonable, intelligent people will understand that the comments on a particular post don't necessarily reflect the views of the author.  I don't think there's a danger of "weakening" or watering down the site by having comments.  Quite the contrary - sites which allow comments encourage discussion and attract visitors.  I know I'm spending a lot more time on CM.com because of the comments and forum features. 

waterdog's picture
waterdog
cover up

Is this a joke??!!

Title 1 of the Senate bill sets up the Troubled Assets Relief Program, thereinafter referred to as "TARP".  That is what this program is called in the legislation, TARP. 

I own a few tarps already:  one to cover my firewood, one for my boat, and one we take camping. 

TARPS are very good for covering things up.

WendyT's picture
WendyT
Yes! Good Ideas!
[quote=Norbody]

-If you want to push people to the forum for conversation, put specific topic links at the end of each blog post (this way we can immediately go to the proper place to share our thoughts, sparked by the article):

-->People Reports (where we can share what we're seeing firsthand with precious metals, runs on banks, gasoline shortages, etc.)

-->Preparation Plan (where we can share ideas on how to stock up, buy/find precious metals, create a support network--the people's version of Chapter 20)

-->Praise for Chris (where Chris can go if he's feeling down)

[/quote]
USMoonAny1's picture
USMoonAny1
Can't find the threads anyway...

Thus far, I've found no way to find, track or read, at all, previous comments/questions. Can't see if someone has replied, etc. This inconvenience rather naturally dissuades general conversation ;-/

My appologies to anyone who may have answered my questions or made a comment, I cannot find it/them/you :-) I'm sure it's that I don't know what I'm doing but glad to learn if someone can find me to tell me, lol, because certainly I'll not be able to find you.

admin's picture
admin
Check out the new Tracker

Check out the new Tracker functionality I just recently enabled.  You can read about it here:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/new-functionality-tracker-now-available-all-registered-users/7008

Let me know if this starts to help move things in the right direction.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments