Best woodstoves for: heating 1000 sq ft or less, combo heating/cooking, outside cooking summertime?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Southerner's picture
Southerner
Best woodstoves for: heating 1000 sq ft or less, combo heating/cooking, outside cooking summertime?

I need help selecting a woodstove for the following applications.  I want advice on the best (most reliable, most user friendly, most effecient, etc.) from your personal experience.  Location is Southern US, so wont be used to heat in winter as much as the Yankees do, unless Katla erupts!

1.  Heating the main living portion of our house, say 1000 sq. ft. or so

2. Heating same area and use to cook as well

3. One for outside cooking during the warmer months

I won't be getting all three at this point, just wanting to know what ya'll think is best so that we can make the most informed decision.

As always, Thank you

Southerner

TNdancer's picture
TNdancer
Re: Best woodstoves for: heating 1000 sq ft or less, combo ...

Heating stoves and cook stoves have different purposes, and thus are generally built different.  A heating stove, you want a large enough chamber to hold wood as long as possible between re-fueling.....whereas the firebox on most cook stoves are small, with more space devoted to the cooking surface and an oven.  You'd wear yourself out trying to heat much area with a cook stove, although they will do a dandy job of warming up a kitchen.

That said, a heating stove with a cooking surface can be somewhat multipurpose.  We bought a Regency "Hearth Heater" last year.....it's a fireplace insert that sticks out quite a bit from the opening, giving you a very efficient wood stove that also let's you cook some on the top.  No oven capability, but you could use a Coleman camp fold up "oven" box for small stuff like cornbread or biscuits.

One the outdoor cookstove, probably any decent stove like Lehman's of Ohio's Pioneer Maid would work....I assume you mean a covered outdoor area, not completely in the open.

LG's picture
LG

Try the Vermont Castings, Dutchwest Federal, small version. A great wood stove.

LG

green_achers's picture
green_achers
LG wrote:

Try the Vermont Castings, Dutchwest Federal, small version. A great wood stove.

LG

That stove got some horrible reviews here:

http://www.wiseheat.com/wood-stoves/Dutchwest_Cast_Iron_Small_2460

I am also looking for a wood stove, so I was keen to check it out.  I really didn't think I'd want a catalytic unit, and now I'm sure.

LG's picture
LG

When I bought my first stove there was only the catalyic model, now you have a choice. Both of mine have been catalytic units. Both were excellent performers. I highly recommend this stove.

LG

jturbo68's picture
jturbo68

I highly recommend Soapstone woodstoves.  They Hold Heat for a really long time, which is helpful for overnight heating.

I have owned both Woodstock Soapstone and Hearthstone Stoves.  Both are wonderful.

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

We space heat, water heat, and cook on the same wood heat stove (Harman Oakwood - high efficiency non-cat).  The only thing we can't do easily is bake/roast since there is no oven - they do make stovetop boxes to handle this, and they work pretty well. However, we live in an extreme cold climate.

Cook stoves and heat stoves are designed differently, and many cook stoves are not designed to be run continuously for heat. HOWEVER, since you live in the South with small sq ft, a high quality high efficiency cookstove may be sufficient for your needs since it's unlikely that you'll get such cold temps as to require you to run it full bore 24/7 for 6 months of the year.  Especially if you have good insulation, tight doors/windows and good solar gain.

My sister, in Central TX, has a Kitchen Queen cook stove (high-efficiency non-cat) with a water jacket that is connected to a large insulated storage tank for hot water.  She heats her 1500 sq ft farmhouse and enough water for all their needs just from 3-4 normal "cooking" fires a day for meals in the winter. The only drawback, in her opinion, is that the first person to get up in the morning is a bit chilly until the coffee if going ;) One thing that did help keep it warmer through the night was installing stone on the kitchen wall behind the stove to add thermal mass to store the heat... kept the temps about 5 degrees warmer overnight.  In the summer, they use solar HW and cook outdoors on their wood-fired grill/pit and brick/mud oven so as not to heat up the house. 

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

PC   , Are your sister and yourself able to do canning in these stoves ?   Keeping the pressure cooker at  correct pressure ?     I   have been using a small  propane turkey cooker  to do the job outside .  Two would be nice so  I could  keep the water boiling  for blanching at the same time the canner is working .

FM

mainebob's picture
mainebob

I've used the same consolidated duchwest stove since 1990... for my well insulated 1200 sq foot house.  It does use a catalitic that I've replaced every 4-5 years.   It worked well during our 14 days of no power during the 1998 North East Icestorm.

Ramen-o-kudasai's picture
Ramen-o-kudasai

I installed a Drolet Savannah last year after reading all of the positive reviews I found. Plus the price is right comparred to say a Vermont Castings.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307393_200307393

It would easily heat your house. You can cook on just about any wood stove that has the space on the top, soups, stews, slow cooking. Possibly frying depending on how hot it gets. You can also wrap things in foil and put them in the wood box with the coals.

Another choice would be a dedicated wood burning cooking oven/stove with a very well insulated house. The oven could heat your house for you in that case.

For the outdoor cooking, you could use a hobo stove, either make one or buy one: http://www.bushbuddy.ca/indexs.html or http://www.traildesigns.com/caldera-tt-ulc.html

Great to have in an emergency in anycase since they are highly portable.

bobomac's picture
bobomac
regency hearthstove

Are you still happy with your hearth stove? Trying to decide between it and traditional insert.Thanks. Bob

CynthiaGrey's picture
CynthiaGrey
Best Wood Stove

Try Something like the Harman Oakleaf, it got pretty good reviews here: http://woodstoveworld.com/wood-stoves/harman-oakleaf

Lucas Carlton's picture
Lucas Carlton
I would also recommend Drolet

I would also recommend Drolet Savannnah High-Efficiency Wood Stove

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments