Best Source of Dehydrated Eggs / Home-dehydrated Question

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
FermenterZym's picture
FermenterZym
Best Source of Dehydrated Eggs / Home-dehydrated Question

Does anyone have a company they recommend for dehydrated eggs for long-term food storage? I was hoping to find dehydrated pastured eggs, but I find this very unlikely.

Is dehydrating cooked eggs oneself safe? Will they last for years?

Thank you for your time,

Zym.

lacourre's picture
lacourre
There is company called

There is company called Shelf Reliance that sells #10 cans of whole powdered eggs... the shelf life is 5 years.  The company has been around for quite awhile, and is very popular withing the Mormon community.  I purchased mine in a package through costco.com.

I have not tried dehydrating the eggs myself...

http://www.shelfreliance.com/whole-eggs-1.html or

http://www.shelfreliance.com/

lacourre's picture
lacourre
Dehydrated eggs vs. Powdered Eggs or Freeze dried

I just realized that you asked specifically for dehydrated eggs, but I gave you info for powdered eggs.    I have seen powdered and also freeze-dried scrambled... but haven't come across dehydrated eggs.  Is there reason for the wanting a dehydrated version?  It's worth a try to dehydrate some eggs and let us know how it works out!

Anyone else know about dehydrating eggs?

Best,

Larisa

Tycer's picture
Tycer
 OvaEasy Eggs on Amazon

OvaEasy. On Amazon.

Don't do it yourself. These are great.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
They are good

I had some OvaEasy scrambled and could barely tell the difference.  Add some salsa and they are fine.

Travlin 

lacourre's picture
lacourre
Zym, I got this link from

Zym,

I got this link from EndGamePlayer,

homestead's picture
homestead
dried whole eggs

We have 6 cans of dried whole eggs that we got 5 years ago from Walton Feed but have never used.  Since this topic came up in the forum and it was time to do something with the eggs, I decided to give them a try.  

For one thing, on the WF website they list the shelf life of dried whole eggs as 5 years.  I was curious if the stuff would still be any good because we were pushing the envelope.  My husband thought it would because when he was in the military during the Vietnam war, he sometimes had to eat rations that had dried egg powder containers that were labeled as being from the Korean war -- now there's a time gap that sure covers more than 5 years.  Maybe the government had some magic way of keeping the eggs edible.  I'm funny about eggs though.  I remember the problems with regular pancake mix being over a year old and poisoning some people a few years ago.

OK, for those of you who like to read trivia, here goes.  The can label says 100% whole egg solids; mix 1 tablespoon of egg with 2 tablespoons of water; use for any recipe that calls for eggs; should be stored at optimum conditions -- 40 degrees or less; note: salmonella negative as determined by the US RDA; oxygen absorber enclosed, discard immediately; 13 oz.; G051

So I opened the can.  The powder inside was a goldish tan and caked into chunks but they came apart fairly easily; it smelled rather like dog kibbles.  I mixed up 2 eggs worth of powder and water but had to use a whisk vigorously to get it to blend, and even then I ended up using a tea strainer to get several small chunks out.  Poured the slurry into a skillet, stirred, cooked.  It gradually began to coagulate and turn into brownish, carmel colored little bits of scrambled egg.  Not a pretty sight, certainly nothing I'd try to serve the queen should she stop by for a visit.  I closed my eyes and tasted some of it -- surprise, it tasted like scrambled eggs.  But it was a different feel in the mouth.  Not exactly awful, but a bit strange.  I didn't like it.  At all.

Would I want to eat this stuff just as cooked eggs?  Nope.  Put it in something like cookies or cake?....sure.  Will I buy more of it.  Nope.  Will find a way to do without eggs if we're living off our stored foods, or will barter with the nearby Amish for fresh eggs like I got from them today straight from the hen house.

Meanwhile, our dear housepet Persnickity Dog is going to enjoy lots of 5 year old powdered eggs  cooked up and mixed into her dog food.  She got the ones I did today and she thought they were major yummy.  But then she also likes to steal nibbles of horse hockey on the road when we take her for walks.  If you don't know what horse hockey is, use your imagination.

By the way, you have to take all the egg powder out of the can so that you can find the oxygen absorber and throw it away (it was buried at the very bottom of the can), and then the powder expands so much that it doesn't fit back into the can any more.  It's all now in the fridge in a plastic container waiting to delight Persnickity Dog.

Here's the link to the product page for the various egg things at Walton Feed:  http://waltonfeed.com/category/43

Best wishes,

homestead grandma

kaman's picture
kaman
http://www.augasonfarms.com/P

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Products/Eggs---Dairy/Dried-Whole-Eggs-approx-56-eggs--10-Can-36-oz

Shelf life unopened is 10 years, after opening 1 year. 

I have purchased numerous cans of this and other products from this company (powdered cheese, honey, scrambled eggs, butter) but have not opened or tried any.  You can save a few bucks if you order through Sam's Club.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments